Shipping a handgun to myself in another state
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Shipping a handgun to myself in another state

This is a discussion on Shipping a handgun to myself in another state within the Traveling With Handguns forums, part of the Handguns category; I'm licensed in my home state of Florida and have an unlimited Class A non resident license in my previously ...

Default Shipping a handgun to myself in another state

I'm licensed in my home state of Florida and have an unlimited Class A non resident license in my previously home state of Mass. Can I ship a handgun in care of myself to the home of a friend in Mass and then from their back to myself here in Florida at the end of my visit.

It seems like a lot of work but I'm just concerned it'll be stolen or my luggage "lost" if I fly with it in checked baggage. That said I've never had a baggage problem with Jet Blue and the flights are direct both ways.

Thanks

I have had a problem with Jet Blue. After TSA ransacked my luggage, they didn't close the zippers. Resulting in a loss of some items that fell out at some point during the rough and tumble through the baggage handling system.

I am curious if it is legally possible to ship a firearm to yourself. If not the whole firearm; how about the frame in one package and the slide in another.
    Beware the Fury of a patient man.

Yes, it is legal. It will have to go by overnight so it will be about $70 to $80 each way.

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

Exclamation shipping handgun

As a FFL dealer in Ks. it is against the law to send any firearm even to yourself without using a FFL. If it is a pistol it must go 1 or 2 day air via UPS, Fedex, DHS. You can not use the mail sevice. I know your reservations but I have flown several times with no problem. Be sure to read Jet Blue regs on weapons carrying. Some airlines will not let you carry the pistol and mag in the same bag. Ammo must be in a seperate bag. If your weapon is being carried in the black suitcase it came in, it probably just has a place for 1 lock. I drilled another hole on the other side so that it would be double locked as the manufacturers case can be gotten into with just 1 lock. Make sure you declare a weapon at check-in and don't forget your keys to the locks as they will have you open it and put a piece of paper in it with your sig. This is a much better way than trying to "smuggle" the weapon to yourself. Do as you please but remember they can and will confiscate the weapon if found to be shipped illegally. Best of luck. Brian

My vote would be for checked baggage. Small locked gun case locked with regular locks that only you have keys/combo to, inside a larger piece of luggage with a TSA lock on it.

Here is JetBlue requirements. The suggest to give your key or combination to the security officer to open your gun case with is a violation of Federal law, though. NEVER give the key or combo to any person, no matter what uniform they are wearing.

http://help.jetblue.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN...%282236%29#s10

Firearms/Shooting Equipment and Ammunition

Firearms are not permitted on international flights to or from the U.S.

There is no additional charge for shooting equipment. However, one piece of shooting equipment will count as one of your checked bags.

You must be 18 years of age to check a firearm.

Firearms, shooting equipment and related items will be accepted only as checked baggage subject to the following specific conditions:

All firearms must be unloaded and must be packed in either a crush-proof container specifically designed for the firearm, or in a hard-sided container. The container must be lockable and only the individual checking the baggage should retain the key or combination. Any container which cannot be locked is not acceptable. TSA recommends that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain present during screening to take the key back after the container is cleared.

Ammunition for the firearm cannot be placed in the same container as the firearm. Ammunition must be housed in a separate container that is completely separate and distinct from the firearms locked box. The ammunition must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal box specifically designed for carrying small amounts of ammunition. Ammunition is limited to 10 pounds per customer.

Pistol cases may be available for purchase by cash, check or credit card at any JetBlue ticket counter for a nonrefundable fee of $35. Quantities are limited and may not be available at all ticket counters.

One item of shooting equipment is considered:

One rifle case containing no more than two rifles with or without scopes, one shooting net, noise suppressors, and a small rifle tool set, or one shotgun case containing no more than two shotguns, or one pistol case containing no more than four pistols, or one bow and quiver of arrows and maintenance kit enclosed in a case or container of sufficient strength to protect the bow and quiver with arrows from accidental damage.

Please note: BB guns and air guns are also considered as shooting equipment and will be treated as such.
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

I flew Jet Blue from JFK NYC to Nevada with no problems. I took three hand guns in a case from Sea Horse. You can buy directly from them at this website. They shipped the case the same day. I plan on getting another one for just one or two handguns.

Seahorsecases.com: SX Series Cases

I used the SX-540 Quick Draw (hold 4 h-guns) and used the locks it came with, then added two padlocks with the same key (two keys total for four locks). I got the shoulder strap also. Using a short bicycle type chain lock, I looped it around the handle of the case and looped it around the frame at the bottom of my suitcase. You'll have to unzip the upholstery liner somewhat. That way the firearm case wasn't leaving the luggage regardless. Your adding weight here, so that sucks. I think my case with handguns was 15-16 lbs. I shipped a bunch of clothes/things to myself UPS for my trip as I was gone awhile. My main luggage empty is 16 lbs. Ooof!

At the counter, you tell the agent that you have firearm(s) to declare. They will get a tag and fill it out. They will call TSA who might call some other police authorities depending on where you are at. In NYC, the TSA agent called for Port Authority Police. They were real nice and one of them asked questions about my modified Glock. You keep in possession at all times the keys. The magazines can be in the case, just not in the handgun is best. Port Authority just wanted to check that there was no ammo in the same case and that the firearms were UN-loaded. The Jet Blue agent puts their tag inside your case to prove it was inspected. The P.D. might ask for your Pistol permit, maybe ask for your drivers license and write down your name and such. No worries.

My return flight from Las Vegas was kind of weird. No one was available, so the agent asked me to show him they were empty. I think I flew really late at night. He took the bag himself somewhere behind the wall and came back a few minutes later saying things were okay. When I got back to NY, I was relieved everything was good and untouched. It's a little un-nerving if you haven't experienced it.

Dead eye, you are wrong in your blanket statement about shipping to yourself. You can in fact ship long guns to yourself and you may do so using the US Postal Service. I have done so when going hunting in diferent areas and not trusting the airlines and their lack of concern and insurance. You must declare the firearm, and pack it accordingly. Hand guns and ammo are a different matter.

Wink shipping weapons to yourself

My blanket statement covers handguns as the author states in his original blog. Yes you are correct about the shipments of long guns and the use of the post office. Hunting is another key word. Have shipped many a weapon both ways, but the ATF here is very adamant when it comes to handguns and how they are to be shipped. I personally can not get around it and don't want to as it's not worth my license as a gunsmith and firearms dealer. Best regards Brian

i live in mass also. i was told in gun course i took you can only have gun shipped to a lisenced dealer. than pick up from him long as you r legal to carry. not all guns that r legal in other startes are legal in mass. even some clips for guns. rifles no problem but guns are a whole nother thing in this crazzy COMMIE STATE.

Quote Originally Posted by jedma View Post
    i live in mass also. i was told in gun course i took you can only have gun shipped to a lisenced dealer. than pick up from him long as you r legal to carry. not all guns that r legal in other startes are legal in mass. even some clips for guns. rifles no problem but guns are a whole nother thing in this crazzy COMMIE STATE.
    If we are talking about a handgun, one must be careful to ship the gun only to an FFL in a state they can prove residence in to the satisfaction of the FFL. If our friend in Florida has a Florida driver's license and he ships his handgun to an FFL in MA, that FFL will not be able to transfer the gun to him.

It is perfectly legal to ship a gun to yourself in another state, care of another person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast