Forgot to claim my handgun
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Forgot to claim my handgun

This is a discussion on Forgot to claim my handgun within the Traveling With Handguns forums, part of the Handguns category; So there I was, about to go through security at seatac and I get a call. "Sir please go to ...

Default Forgot to claim my handgun

So there I was, about to go through security at seatac and I get a call. "Sir please go to the southwest ticket counter. You have an undexlared firearm in your luggage." At that moment my first thought was, "oh crap..." I didn't know what else to think... never been in this situation before.

So I went to the counter and waiting for me was a cop in uniform and then four more in plain clothes along with the tsa guy. They opened my suitcase and there was my portable bulldog gun vault and small pelican case. I entered tge code and opened the gun case. The cop pulled out my xd9sc, unloaded, wrapped in a cleaning cloth tied through the trigger guard. They put it all back and took photos of my gun, license, cpl, military id, and me. Packed all back up and said I would get a letter in the mail that I had to reply to.

I asked if there would be a fine and they said maybe but it depends on the facts and who is reading them.

Does anyone here have any experience with this?

What should I expect to see in this letter?

LET US KNOW how it turns out. Always good to have firsthand information on this sort of thing. Sorry it has to be at your expense.

Good luck. Hope it's not a big deal.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

I'd be interested to know too...
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

I'm pretty confident it will be ok but I was a bit surprised I couldn't find any info on this anywhere else online... either I'm the only guy this has happened to or I'm the only guy who posted about it...

Or the only one who "forgot" they had a gun. Not trying to be a jerk, but its your duty to know where your firearm is

Hmmmm... I'm going somewhere... On an airplane... I'm taking my gun... I've made the effort to secure it in a Bulldog gun vault... The ammunition is separate and I've gently wrapped my shiny gun in a cloth...

And it slips your mind that you've got a freakin' gun in your luggage?!? Seriously? Really? No kidding? Like, for real?

Dude...really... *shakes head, sighs, facepalm*

Quote Originally Posted by ti02 View Post
    I asked if there would be a fine and they said maybe but it depends on the facts and who is reading them. What should I expect to see in this letter?
    Hopefully it will be a letter thanking you for your service to this country!
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    ...Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your sins; the other for your freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSlick View Post
    Hopefully it will be a letter thanking you for your service to this country!
    I agree, and thank's for your service.
    An optimist, is someone that doesn't know all the facts!

The_Outlaw is offline ~The Dude Abides~
    The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Manning View Post
    Hmmmm... I'm going somewhere... On an airplane... I'm taking my gun... I've made the effort to secure it in a Bulldog gun vault... The ammunition is separate and I've gently wrapped my shiny gun in a cloth...
    And it slips your mind that you've got a freakin' gun in your luggage?!? Seriously? Really? No kidding? Like, for real?
    LMAO! My thoughts 'exactly'. SMH
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Manning:251746

Ya that was my "oh crap" thought. With 6 bags, a screaming 2yo, and late for our plane it did slip my mind. Makes me wish I could just declare it through some online process and print out that little form. I'm a big fan of preparation.

If I can file my taxes, refill prescriptions, order pizza, pay parking tickets, and buy guns online I think I should be able to e-sign a form when I check in for my flight 24hrs in advance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast