Securing Your Vehicle Carry - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Securing Your Vehicle Carry

This is a discussion on Securing Your Vehicle Carry within the Traveling With Handguns forums, part of the Handguns category; Thanks for responses everyone....

Thanks for responses everyone.

We have a Jeep Wrangler... one of the hardest vehicles to secure ANYTHING in.

If we must leave a gun in it, its in our 16ga. steel vaulted glovebox which is bolted inside the dash... not an easy thing to get into, would take more time than most would be willing to spend.

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

Wal Mart sells a lock box that can be bolted or cable locked to your car that works very well. I got mine for about 25$
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Wal Mart sells a lock box that can be bolted or cable locked to your car that works very well. I got mine for about 25$
    Treo what is the make and model? How easy do you think this would be for someone to cut the cable? Walmart.com: Custom Accessories Portable Case with Combination Lock: Home Security

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

Quote Originally Posted by CCWlady View Post
    Treo what is the make and model?
    Haven't the foggiest, they sell them in the sporting goods section as in car gun safes.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWlady View Post
    How easy do you think this would be for someone to cut the cable?
    Locks only stop crimes of opportunity. If they really want in the box they'll get in, your average smash and grab guy, not so much.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Fair enough, and I saw a post from someone that it actually happened to. I guess in my naivete, I figured if there's nothing on my car to suggest there's something inside (NRA sticker, CCA, etc.) so then no one is looking for a firearm. Also, I drive a 2003 white minivan with a dog gate for my service dog; also not much that screams this invalid has something worth stealing, especially in a handicapped spot.

All that said, I have been appropriately schooled and will also be looking for a lock box that can be bolted down. I will say this, I would like to make sure I put it where it cannot be seen. Growing up in the Bronx and working in the South Bronx, leaving anything visible was a sure way to get broken into. Even my radio was just an old crappy thing without knobs and kind of hanging out, so I was pretty much left alone. I feel like having a safe in view would do the same, invite someone to at least try, which is not what I want. I'm not about to put an elaborate alarm system in such a vehicle, but I also don't want it stolen so they can work on the safe somewhere quiet. At first look I thought this was simple, here again I find I'm not diligent enough these days. Thanks for the reminder.
    In Peace, Tom
    "Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor." 1 Peter 2:17

As already been said, where you go you just pretend to look like them and they leave you alone but then what do I know? I have not been to those places and and had no intention of going there...knock wood!
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Quote Originally Posted by chapguy View Post
    I've got a GunVault NV200 that I keep under my seat. Anytime I need to stow my pistol I can put it there and feel comfortable about it. Keeps small hands away, it's hidden from sight and it's anchored to the seat rails so it would take more than a "Smash-n-grab" effort to take it. Sure beats leaving it in the glove box or console unlocked.
    Ditto here. Works just fine when strapped to the seat anchor.
    G'Day and G'lock

if you have room a bolt in gun safe is always a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bozz View Post
    We have a Jeep Wrangler... one of the hardest vehicles to secure ANYTHING in.

If we must leave a gun in it, its in our 16ga. steel vaulted glovebox which is bolted inside the dash... not an easy thing to get into, would take more time than most would be willing to spend.
    I agree, I have a wrangler as well and it can be a challenge. Unfortunately some time I have to leave my gun behind and find this works well for me:

Bestop 42640-01 - Bestop® Locking Under Seat Storage Box in Textured Black for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast