Securing Your Vehicle Carry - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Securing Your Vehicle Carry

This is a discussion on Securing Your Vehicle Carry within the Traveling With Handguns forums, part of the Handguns category; My occupation requires that I sometimes have to go into municipal buildings to access county records. When they are in ...

jrs

My occupation requires that I sometimes have to go into municipal buildings to access county records. When they are in the same building as the courts, the hassle of taking my weapon in far outweighs the chance that it will be stolen from a locked vault stowed under the seat. I use a Nano-vault with combo lock. While earlier posters have pointed out that the cable can be cut, the typical thief is looking for crimes of opportunity. Plus, the short period of time that I'm away from my vehicle doesn't allow much time for them to grab it.
    In addition, it gives me the opportunty to move it from my car and stow it in my motorcycle saddlebag when necessary, again the cable is secured to the frame.
    Nothing's going to stop a thief that's hell-bent on taking your stuff, but if it's properly stowed, they won't even see it. Most opportunists won't break in unless you've given them a reason to believe there's something to steal. To that end... no NRA or other stickers which would draw attention.

As for the NanoVault, there are a number of models available, key and combo locks. I've also seen a similar one with a steel frame that bolts to the vehicle and the case slides into the frame and locks there. Most of the NanoVaults I've seen in the stores sell between $25 to $40+-. I found the combo model online approx $20 through the Niagara Gun Range website & got one for each of our cars.

Anyone concerned about the intense heat in a vehicle and having ammo in the car?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Connolly View Post
    Fair enough, and I saw a post from someone that it actually happened to. I guess in my naivete, I figured if there's nothing on my car to suggest there's something inside (NRA sticker, CCA, etc.) so then no one is looking for a firearm. Also, I drive a 2003 white minivan with a dog gate for my service dog; also not much that screams this invalid has something worth stealing, especially in a handicapped spot.

All that said, I have been appropriately schooled and will also be looking for a lock box that can be bolted down. I will say this, I would like to make sure I put it where it cannot be seen. Growing up in the Bronx and working in the South Bronx, leaving anything visible was a sure way to get broken into. Even my radio was just an old crappy thing without knobs and kind of hanging out, so I was pretty much left alone. I feel like having a safe in view would do the same, invite someone to at least try, which is not what I want. I'm not about to put an elaborate alarm system in such a vehicle, but I also don't want it stolen so they can work on the safe somewhere quiet. At first look I thought this was simple, here again I find I'm not diligent enough these days. Thanks for the reminder.
    Hi there...I too am handicapped..(bad spine..too many years as a carpet installer)...anyway, what I suggest is for you not to be any kind of target. The Bad Guys like to target someone weaker than them. If they see someone in a handicapped parking spot, they will assume that you might have some kind of pain meds..also, since handicapped, they will also think you might have recently got your monthly check and therefore carrying some large cash!!....hence a weak and easy target. Now, I also park in same spots, but, I keep my head on a swivel, and also follow the color code of awareness. I try to always stay in condition "Yellow".

Be safe and Shoot Straight!!!

Thanks Agabus, I had not thought of the handicapped spot like that before; well done. Although always hyper vigilant, the idea of how this type of spot excites the bad guys escaped my attention. For others like my Dad, who just got his sticker, this is excellent Information. I will pass this on, and as for locking my firearm in the car I've worked out a far better system now. Thanks for your great comments, stay "Yellow" my friend! TC
    In Peace, Tom
    "Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor." 1 Peter 2:17

Quote Originally Posted by strongwood View Post
    Anyone concerned about the intense heat in a vehicle and having ammo in the car?
    No. Why? The heat won't hurt it.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    Channel Street. Not a nice neighborhood. Not exactly smart leaving your gun in your car there, especially unlocked. I'll bet the thieves knew exactly what they were looking for too. And one of the idiots had the same gun stolen and used in a crime before! You think he'd learn.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Nightmare45 is offline NRA LIFE MEMBER

Carried and stored weapons is Texas, Alabama AZ, NM all hot no issue.

Quote Originally Posted by strongwood View Post
    Not a problem.

Lock box in car, for fun I will if in a rough neighborhood place a pos starter pistol in the lock box in an obvious manner while keeping my 45 on my hip and have a soda or coffee where I can watch the truck.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast