New York State carry?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New York State carry?

This is a discussion on New York State carry? within the Traveling With Handguns forums, part of the Handguns category; I am possible traveling through New York state this summer and am wondering the possibilities of carry. I would be ...

Default New York State carry?

I am possible traveling through New York state this summer and am wondering the possibilities of carry. I would be stopping only for gas and food, etc. if I put it unloaded in a lock box in the cargo bay am I good? does the ammo have to be locked up also? is there a band on 'high cap' magazines? I won't be going ANY where NEAR NYC. is there a duty to inform caps of carriage if stopped (for unconnected reasons)? thanks

Call NYS Police and ask them...they appear to be the most reasonable and approachable. Just for the record, and I am not a lawyer or LE...NY does not recognize out of state licenses...you can bring in, like you said, locked and unloaded, if going to compete in an official shoot at a club or range....not supposed to stop...I know, I know but the ones who wrote the rules aren't all on our side...

Keep it unloaded and locked. Stay away from New Jersey at all costs. They are worse.

golocx4 is offline Got Beretta's?

Do what I do when transporting through Illinois.
    I stop in Indiana, lock up gun in a gun safe.
    Enter Illinois and obey all traffic laws.
    Sometimes I don't stop in Indiana.

You must be travelling through the state within 24 hours. If NY is your destination, no handguns. Firearms locked and unloaded with ammo separated, not nec. Magazines are 10 round or less. I do not know if you are required to notify LEO.

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. 18 USC ß 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms | LII / Legal Information Institute
    1. With the several guns I own, I have been asked what exactly am I afraid of? I answered "Not a goddamn thing!" 2. A gunfight is a really bad bet. If you lose--you lose everything. If you win--you just keep what you have.

It is illegal to carry any loaded firearm in any motor vehicle without a valid New York Permit/License to Carry. It is legal to transport a legal firearm through New York but if you interrupt your trip you are breaking the law. What is an interruption to your trip could be for the jury to decide. NY also has restrictions on the type of firearms you can possess in NY and Magazines that hold more than 10 rounds or can be converted to hold more than 10 rounds are illegal. Use extreme caution when transporting a firearm through NY. It is unlawful for any person to carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license. (A provision of federal law provides a defense to state or local laws which would
    prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel if the person is traveling from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport a firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm and the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console).
    1. With the several guns I own, I have been asked what exactly am I afraid of? I answered "Not a goddamn thing!" 2. A gunfight is a really bad bet. If you lose--you lose everything. If you win--you just keep what you have.

lkmurry1 is offline Donald Paczynski

I have a New York State carry permit issued in the 60s and it states that it is good until revoked. I served in the U.S. Air Force for 30+ years and now live in SC where I have CWP. I am going to apply for a Utah non-resident permit as they have reciprocity with several of the states I travel thru often. Need an opinion if my NY permit is still good. I do travel to NY several times a year to visit relatives and always have pistol with me in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by lkmurry1 View Post
    I have a New York State carry permit issued in the 60s and it states that it is good until revoked. I served in the U.S. Air Force for 30+ years and now live in SC where I have CWP. I am going to apply for a Utah non-resident permit as they have reciprocity with several of the states I travel thru often. Need an opinion if my NY permit is still good. I do travel to NY several times a year to visit relatives and always have pistol with me in the car.
    If you are not a resident, or a LEO on business in NY, your permit is no longer valid according to the county pistol permit clerk. I guess the "good until revoked" part is for as long as you maintain a residence here.

The terms of your permit are dictated by the county in which you were issued, however most require notification of any move within a certain time period. It sounds as if you never did that notification. Moving out of State would have caused you to relinquish your permit in most if not all counties. NY Permits require residency, unless you have a federal permit via employment, or are covered under Law Enforcement, Prior Law Enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by VERDAD Investigations View Post
    The terms of your permit are dictated by the county in which you were issued, however most require notification of any move within a certain time period. It sounds as if you never did that notification. Moving out of State would have caused you to relinquish your permit in most if not all counties. NY Permits require residency, unless you have a federal permit via employment, or are covered under Law Enforcement, Prior Law Enforcement.
    I am not aware of any Federal Permit system. Please explain.
    Jim Page

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast