UT DPS urges UT lawmakers... no more non-resident permits. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

UT DPS urges UT lawmakers... no more non-resident permits.

This is a discussion on UT DPS urges UT lawmakers... no more non-resident permits. within the Utah Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; Thank you for providing the email addresses. I just sent my emails asking them to reconsider their support of the ...

Thank you for providing the email addresses.

I just sent my emails asking them to reconsider their support of the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    We're already seeing phase one of this happening with non-resident Utah instructors possibly being eliminated under HB204 this legislative session. I have e-mailed UT BCI. The Director e-mailed me back today that he doesn't know how this will affect non-resident instructors that renew before the bill becomes law so I am taking a chance that I am throwing good money towards a certification that will be revoked shortly after obtaining it. I'm taking the March renewal class in West Jordan Utah. I have also e-mailed Go!Utah, Clark Aposhian and Curtis Oda on HB204. Since some key players in the Utah RKBA are backing this bill, there's a good probability us non-resident Utah CFP instructors are probably going to get thrown under the bus with non-resident CFP holders being next.

One of the things that irk me that I am going to hold all Utahns to is why isn't this an issue in Florida? Florida has a comparable number of States to Utah and they have been shall issue for over 20 years. Florida also has one of the most liberal training requirements of all of the shall issue States with a training requirement. Florida has at about five times as many license holders as Utah does total currently.

We also have the States with no training requirement such as NH, PA and WA. Many things in the SLC Tribune article stink.
    Thanks for the update. Will they still accept a nonresident CCW application from out of state? My brother and I took the Utah training a long time ago. I got my permit but my brother has yet to file his app. He brought it up today and it prompted me to check this forum. Can he still get his permit if he mails it in now?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    "What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."

-Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787

We're already seeing phase one of this happening with non-resident Utah instructors possibly being eliminated under HB204 this legislative session. I have e-mailed UT BCI. The Director e-mailed me back today that he doesn't know how this will affect non-resident instructors that renew before the bill becomes law so I am taking a chance that I am throwing good money towards a certification that will be revoked shortly after obtaining it. I'm taking the March renewal class in West Jordan Utah. I have also e-mailed Go!Utah, Clark Aposhian and Curtis Oda on HB204. Since some key players in the Utah RKBA are backing this bill, there's a good probability us non-resident Utah CFP instructors are probably going to get thrown under the bus with non-resident CFP holders being next.

One of the things that irk me that I am going to hold all Utahns to is why isn't this an issue in Florida? Florida has a comparable number of States to Utah and they have been shall issue for over 20 years. Florida also has one of the most liberal training requirements of all of the shall issue States with a training requirement. Florida has at about five times as many license holders as Utah does total currently.

We also have the States with no training requirement such as NH, PA and WA. Many things in the SLC Tribune article stink.
    Thanks for the update. Will they still accept a nonresident CCW application from out of state? My brother and I took the Utah training a long time ago. I got my permit but my brother has yet to file his app. He brought it up today and it prompted me to check this forum. Can he still get his permit if he mails it in now?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    "What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."

-Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787

netentity is offline Obama is a mack daddy!

Quote Originally Posted by calmp9 View Post

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    There is a bill in the Utah legislature to make Utah CFPs resident only however that one will get killed by the pro-RBKA Utah legislators and has no support by the Utah pro-gun organizations.

It gets introduced every year by the same SLC liberal; Senator McCoy of SLC. Hope there's no relation to you, Luke.

Keep in mind that you must apply for your Utah CFP within one year of instruction. If it's past one year, he'll have to take the class all over again.

I am considering doing a non-resident Utah CFP instructor farewell tour and see how many people I can teach before my Utah instructor certification expires on May 1, 2009. The earliest HB204 will take effect would be July 1, 2009 so any instruction from me should be good. It will be in accordance to Utah BCI regulations of course. It will be the bare minimum class with no live fire qualification; classroom only.

After May 1, 2009 I will be just teaching Nevada, North Dakota and the NRA classes I am certified to teach.
    Last edited by netentity; 03-24-2009 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Error on time from instruction date to applying; should be ONE YEAR.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

What I would like to know is when and why did I stop being an American because I moved to Toronto?

I presently have a UT CCW permit and am wondering if it is going to be null should this dumbass legislation pass.

Florida will be happy to issue me a Florida non-resident CFP as soon as I move back stateside or lie and put down one of my relative's addresses on the application.

A sad and sorry situation.

netentity is offline Obama is a mack daddy!

Quote Originally Posted by torontogunguy View Post
    What I would like to know is when and why did I stop being an American because I moved to Toronto?

I presently have a UT CCW permit and am wondering if it is going to be null should this dumbass legislation pass.

Florida will be happy to issue me a Florida non-resident CFP as soon as I move back stateside or lie and put down one of my relative's addresses on the application.

A sad and sorry situation.
    The legislation didn't pass.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

I missed that somewhere....... the legislation did NOT pass?

Hurrah for those lawmakers in Utah that have a head on their shoulders.

Hey, I'm all for resident permits only. All they need to do is address those of "We the People" that don't really have a home stateside for whatever reason. We are still Americans and presumably have the rights and privileges that came with that distinction.

Second, they need to have a means for universal reciprocity. You have a CFP? It is good everywhere. It is simply a means to weed out the whackos and the felons from having guns. Fact is, I personally believe that one does not require or should not require a permit to carry a firearm concealed nor to own a firearm. There should be, however, in its place, very very strong penalties for owning or possessing a firearm if you belong to one of the aforementioned groups... whackos and felons. Most everyone else is upstanding and minds their own business.

G50AE is offline Banned

The legislation didn't pass.
    Maybe I should go ahead and get a Utah non-resident permit then. Need to show my support.

A Texas House member from Ft. Worth, Texas is asking the State to amend our CC that any resident of Texas has to get a Texas concieled carry permit or they will not honor the Utah permit for residents. Seems people are opting for the lower hours and no shooting requirements of Utah in steed of getting a Texas permit in there own state.

G50AE is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DougG View Post
    A Texas House member from Ft. Worth, Texas is asking the State to amend our CC that any resident of Texas has to get a Texas concieled carry permit or they will not honor the Utah permit for residents. Seems people are opting for the lower hours and no shooting requirements of Utah in steed of getting a Texas permit in there own state.
    Yeah that's called free enterprise. If someone else makes something that costs less, the consumer will go with the lower cost.

IMHO, Texas would be better served by lowering fees and ditching the "live-fire" requirement. I doubt the issue of the number of hours is that big of a deal to most people, the other two issues add to the cost of the process.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast