Vehicle Transport Of Handgun In VA?

Vehicle Transport Of Handgun In VA?

This is a discussion on Vehicle Transport Of Handgun In VA? within the Virginia Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; I don't have a concealed carry permit yet but figured you all, better than most, would be up on the ...

Default Vehicle Transport Of Handgun In VA?

I don't have a concealed carry permit yet but figured you all, better than most, would be up on the laws regarding transport I need to know about.

I'll be traveling in VA in my van and wanted to know about taking a handgun with me. I'd prefer to transport it in a lawful way that might provide some utility for self-defense, or I'd just keep it unloaded, cased and locked in the "default" manner federally approved for interstate transport.

These are the notes I made from reading the document on car carry at HandGunLaw. Not being a lawyer, I'm seeking confirmation of a more practical nature on these matters:

VA:

- Must inform officer of handgun in vehicle no matter how its transported?

- Open, unconcealed, transport of loaded gun in plain view OK.

- Otherwise must be unloaded and cased? Lock in a case, and out of reach, in a van?

- In state parks, any different?

Any advice or discussion will be appreciated.

This is straight from the book Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States:

Loaded firearms may be carried in the passenger compartment in plain view or secured in gun cases that are unconcealed; trunk transport is also legitimate for loaded firearms

You can checkout the book here:
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/traveling-handguns/497-book-traveler-s-guide-firearm-laws-fifty-states.html#post12667

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

xd.40 is offline XD.40

Remember that in Va, you can openly carry a loaded pistol in your vehicle as long as it is in plain sight, as well as on your hip. Visit http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/ for more info on Open Carry.

Lukem , not in Illinois, I'm from there, almost impossible to transport a gun in any manner, a magazine loaded with no firearm in the car will get you jailed in IL.