*D.C. Police to Allow Officers to Wear Full Beards and Turbans on the Job* - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31
Like Tree22Likes

*D.C. Police to Allow Officers to Wear Full Beards and Turbans on the Job*

This is a discussion on *D.C. Police to Allow Officers to Wear Full Beards and Turbans on the Job* within the Washington D.C. Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; Originally Posted by johnmed3:311536 Send her to one of those countries to see if they adjust their laws/rules about women, ...

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnmed3:311536
    Send her to one of those countries to see if they adjust their laws/rules about women, being cops or chief. She would be surprised!
    Now there's a good metric against which to judge...if the fanatic jerk-offs won't do it...neither will we!

    Sound reasoning.
    Si vis pacem para bellum

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sandpoint, Idaho
    Posts
    1,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    Men allowed to wear their beards is always a good idea!

    Turbans are another issue.

    Before anyone laughs at Sikhs, one should remember they are brave warriors. Those who fought in the service of the British hold a record number(per capita) Of Victoria Cross decorations.

    Bearing arms is a DUTY to Sikh males!

    One should consider these issues before dismissing them as a bunch of so called "Rag-Heads."

    -Doc
    They are also NOT Muslims. They are an outgrowth of Hinduism. Yes, they have some of the same traditions, like praying five times a day, but they are praying to gurus, not Allah. They also frown upon violence, except as necessary to protect the innocent, and have no interest in converting others to their faith. Their goals in life are to become good spouses and parents and do right by their communities.

    Now as to whether they should be allowed to be out of uniform, I dunno. Not a topic I'm particularly concerned about.
    Ton up!

  3. #13
    golocx4's Avatar
    golocx4 is offline Got Beretta's?
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Elma NY
    Posts
    1,632

    Default

    As I live in a suburb of Toronto, (Buffalo NY) we get the Canadian News **and beer**. They have gone through all of this with bus drivers etc wearing the turban, except that one of the sects requires that a dagger be hidden in the turban.
    We all have to remember that most Chief's of Police were not good cops, they are political.
    The administration and actual police work are not done by the chief.
    Yes I am sure that there are one or two who were actually a good cop. But in general they are butt kissin ladder climbing political animals.
    The Association of Chiefs of Police rarely reflect the views of the work a day cop on the street.
    Just sayin.
    This guy is trying to impress someone to further his own career.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    United Socialist Republic of New York
    Posts
    359

    Default

    But my religion, culture, and forefathers say that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed....guess I'm SOL.

    Funny what we choose to respect.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NE Mississippi
    Posts
    1,036

    Default

    All that I can think to comment is my signature.
    "I don't think that a society that encourages over a million abortions a year....a society that kills out of convenience, i.e., Jack Kevorkian, can not have consequences." --Rush Limbaugh

  6. #16
    The_Outlaw's Avatar
    The_Outlaw is offline ~The Dude Abides~
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"
    Posts
    2,825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    Men allowed to wear their beards is always a good idea!

    Turbans are another issue.

    Before anyone laughs at Sikhs, one should remember they are brave warriors. Those who fought in the service of the British hold a record number(per capita) Of Victoria Cross decorations.

    Bearing arms is a DUTY to Sikh males!

    One should consider these issues before dismissing them as a bunch of so called "Rag-Heads."

    -Doc
    I never called them 'Rag heads'....So please don't assume/imply that.

    Also, be advised, there is a tactical reason for law enforcement officers to not have beards.
    'Why not?', you may ask?
    Because if/when a police officer needs to put on his/her gas mask (as in a riot situation) the rubber on the gas mask 'must be able to seal itself' against the skin of the officers face.
    A beard would render the gas mask ineffective because the gas fumes would leak through the beard and then into the officers eyes, nose & face incapacitating the officer.
    That's just one of the very valid reasons why this whole 'allowing the beards thing' is a very stupid idea i.m.h.o.
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Plains
    Posts
    919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Outlaw View Post
    I never called them 'Rag heads'....So please don't assume/imply that.

    Also, be advised, there is a tactical reason for law enforcement officers to not have beards.
    'Why not?', you may ask?
    Because if/when a police officer needs to put on his/her gas mask (as in a riot situation) the rubber on the gas mask 'must be able to seal itself' against the skin of the officers face.
    A beard would render the gas mask ineffective because the gas fumes would leak through the beard and then into the officers eyes, nose & face incapacitating the officer.
    That's just one of the very valid reasons why this whole 'allowing the beards thing' is a very stupid idea i.m.h.o.
    Sorry but the mask business is a myth.

    I own several masks that seal quite well despite my beard. It does NOT vary by mask design either. I would have no trouble with them in a chemical environment.

    This MAY be an issue with long beards, but a short beard has no trouble sealing.

    I have read where it is proven that chemical agents penetrate SHAVED skin better, due to destruction of the epidermal layer. This is probably why shaving a patients skin before surgery is now very much frowned on.

    When I was in medical school, all the operating rooms were well posted with signs like this:

    http://www.iqh.org/attachments/167_N...e%20Poster.pdf

    http://fc05.deviantart.net/images2/i...__No_Shave.jpg

    The published literature is on this is overwhelming. Despite this, there are lots of "Dinosaur Docs" in the world that would rather indulge their hair phobic bias, than protect their patients.

    Ditto on Doctor ties.

    -Doc

  8. #18
    dcselby1's Avatar
    dcselby1 is offline Denny
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Battle Creek Michigan
    Posts
    1,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Outlaw View Post
    WTF??
    Has the whole world gone crazy!?
    Is this even the United States of America anymore?!?

    D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier called the policy a “common-sense decision” and said it‘s important for the police force to have representation from all communities across the nation’s capital. “I have to remind myself sometimes that in my lifetime women were not allowed to ride in patrol cars along with men, and now I’m chief,” Lanier said during a news conference.

    D.C. Police to Allow Sikh Officers to Wear Full Beards and Turbans | TheBlaze.com

    “I think it’s a step forward not only for civil rights and religious freedom, I think it’s a step forward for law enforcement,” said Jasjit Singh, executive director of the Sikh American Legal Defense and Education Fund.

    ~SMFH~
    Let's see. A police officer doesn't have the "right" to "stop" someone based on their appearance for fear of being accused of "profiling." Yet that same officer in Washington D.C. has the "right" to dress in such a manner as to identify with a specific segment of the populace. OK, what the hell am I missing?
    Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man gainst his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia...Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

  9. #19
    The_Outlaw's Avatar
    The_Outlaw is offline ~The Dude Abides~
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"
    Posts
    2,825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    Sorry but the mask business is a myth.

    I own several masks that seal quite well despite my beard. It does NOT vary by mask design either. I would have no trouble with them in a chemical environment.

    -Doc
    ~SMH~
    So then what 'you' are saying is that everything that the Drill Sergeants taught us in the Military Police in regards to gas masks was 'a myth'??

    Have you ever even 'been inside' the chicken coop? Because it's no joke believe me.

    Sorry Doc, but you are wrong on this one.
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Plains
    Posts
    919

    Default

    Just because a drill sergeant says it, doesn't make it fact. Military dicta can perpetuate fallacy indefinitely!

    The military can make it so by decree. A concept totally non-dependent on fact!

    I can ask someone 'Why is it so..?" and get the reply ..because my drill sergeant says so.."

    The US Army surgery manual said that lacerated arteries must be ligated and the limb amputated! A group of surgeons in Korea disobeyed, risking court-martial and prison to prove the army dicta-wrong! Guess what, vascular surgeons rarely need to amputate for simple lacs! The whole US Army Medical Corps was WRONG!

    I CAN seal my masks just fine with a beard! It doesn't matter what my drill sergeant said.

    The whole DoD can say it doesn't seal! It changes nothing! The reality is THE MASK SEALS!

    ALL MY MASKS SEAL!

    -Doc

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •