The Law ?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NavyLCDR

The Law ?

This is a discussion on The Law ? within the Washington Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; We've all heard; "ignorance of the Law is no excuse". Here in WA I know you can't take a gun ...

Default The Law ?

We've all heard; "ignorance of the Law is no excuse". Here in WA I know you can't take a gun in a school or in a bar, but I am sure there are plenty of city, county, and other local ordinances limiting the possesion of a hand gun that most of us don't know about. As an example, if I were to be stopped for jay walking and it was discovered I was packing, I could be also sited for some other obscure ordinance such as illegally carrying a weapon in a cross walk (not a real example, I think). Has someone compiled all these possible obscure laws? Where can I find them?

LO
    Last edited by LHOGDEN; 02-07-2011 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Grammer
    "Society is safer when criminals don't know who's armed"
    www.crpa.org

santa is offline santa

firearms laws can be confusing and at times be in conradiction with each other. reading the RCWs is a good start. a well informed lawyer is another. i do not recommend leo for information. the state attourney general is also a good source. while im not trying to sound fatalistic i guess all we can do is read the laws,get the best advice we can and act on what we know. one of the biggest contraversies is the federal law regarding carry near a school and how it affects reciprocity. there is a thread on this very subject. good luck from eastern washington.

Quote Originally Posted by LHOGDEN View Post
    We've all heard; "ignorance of the Law is no excuse". Here in WA I know you can't take a gun in a school or in a bar, but I am sure there are plenty of city, county, and other local ordinances limiting the possesion of a hand gun that most of us don't know about. As an example, if I were to be stopped for jay walking and it was discovered I was packing, I could be also sited for some other obscure ordinance such as illegally carrying a weapon in a cross walk (not a real example, I think). Has someone compiled all these possible obscure laws? Where can I find them?

LO
    RCW 9.41.290 makes city, county and other local ordinances more prohibitive than state law to be null, void, unenforceable and illegal. It's called preemption.

RCW 9.41.290: State preemption.

RCW 9.41.290
    State preemption.

The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.
    I would read the entire 9.41 chapter, but especially 9.41.050, .060, .270, .280, .290, and .300.

The only place a city/county is allowed to prohibit firearms is in their city/county owned stadiums and convention centers, AND CPL holders are exempt from those prohibitions anyway.

BTW, if you see a sign prohibiting firearms in a city or county park or recreation center - just ignore it. We have had many open carry picnics and gathering in parks that are posted no firearms because the signs are illegal according to state law. We usually gather around the sign for a group photo.

Pennsylvania has a similar law which prevents the People's republic of Philadelphia from trying to do their own thing. Some states have laws that are vague and confusing, which I usually vent on when someone posts something about New Jersey. Read up as much as you can on the laws, as confusing as they can be to read sometimes (legal-ese can cause a bad headache!). Ask a lot of questions here. Doing so has increased my knowledge base and helped me to better pass that information on to others.