Washington State CCW laws
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Washington State CCW laws

This is a discussion on Washington State CCW laws within the Washington Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; Below is the info I contributed to legallyarmed.org last year: Washington “The right of the individual citizen to bear arms ...

Default Washington State CCW laws

Below is the info I contributed to legallyarmed.org last year:

Washington

“The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.”
    Washington State Constitution - Article I Section 24

CCW Overview
    Washington is a shall-issue state; Applicants that meet all of the state requirements must be granted a CPL.
    To obtain a Concealed Pistol License, you must:
    • Be at least 21 years of age
    • Be eligible to possess a firearm pursuant with all state and federal laws
    • Pass a background check
    See RCW 9.41.070 for complete eligibility requirements.
    You will be required to fill out an application. Fingerprints will be taken when applying.
    The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county must issue a license within 30 days after the filing of an application. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card, or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to 60 days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours.
    Washington residents need to apply with the Chief of Police or County Sheriff for which you live. Non-residents must apply in person at any Police or Sheriff's Office in the state.
    Permits are valid for 5 years and may be renewed.
    The state specifies the permit cost, which totals $60 for new applicants.

Carry Requirements
    Per RCW 9.41.050, very licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so.
    There is no 'duty to inform' requirement in Washington to inform a law enforcement officer of your carrying status during a traffic stop; However it is always recommended to do so as courtesy.

Carry Restrictions
    Washington defines a number of places you cannot carry:
    • Any place where carrying firearms is prohibited by federal law
    • Public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas/facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools (CRW 9.41.280)
    • On the site of an "outdoor music festival" (CRW 70.108.150)
    • Restricted access areas of a jail, or of a law enforcement facility, or any place used for the confinement of a person (CRW 9.41.300)
    • Areas in any building which are used in connection with court proceedings, including courtrooms, jury rooms, judge's chambers, offices, etc. (CRW 9.41.300)
    • The restricted access areas of a public mental health facility certified by the department of social and health services for inpatient hospital care and state institutions for the care of the mentally ill, excluding those facilities solely for evaluation and treatment (CRW 9.41.300)
    • Any portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age (CRW 9.41.300)
    Please see CRW 9.41.300 for additional areas and more detailed descriptions of the restricted carry areas above.

Reference Links
    General Washington Links :
    • Concealed Pistol License Application
    • Washington State Attorney General Reciprocity Info

Washington Statutes:
    • CPL/Firearms Related Statutes
    • Use of Force Statutes

Page History & Information
    This page was contributed by tr4a
    Originally created 16-Jul-2006 - Last updated 16-Jul-2006

I am in Portland, OR but also have my WA CCW. Thought I would check in here too.:)

Concealed Licensed in Washington, Oregon, and Florida.
    ]

DrLewall is offline Charter Member

THANK YOU!! This helps alot..at least now I have something to go on!
    DrLewall
    "Doc"
    Drakes Creeks, AR
    www.kiltsrock.com
    "A gun unloaded and cocked aint good for nuttin!"--Rooster Cogburn

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    THANK YOU!! This helps alot..at least now I have something to go on!

It's pretty easy in the State of Washington Doc, even for a a non-res permit.

Concealed Licensed in Washington, Oregon, and Florida.
    ]

This is great info and very helpful. Thanks for posting it!
    A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.

Molon labe!

Thank you so much. I'll get it added to the Washington page. It REALLY helps out when I can get info from members.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

How about restaurants such as Black Angus that have a bar but separate from the main dining areas?

The bar area is restricted, the restaurant portion is not.

"That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age" http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300

I am moving to Tocoma WA. I have a CCW. from MI. Now WA dose approve of MI CCW but what if I move there. Do I need to get a new one for WA or can I what till mine expires and just renew it in WA? Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclish View Post
    I am moving to Tocoma WA. I have a CCW. from MI. Now WA dose approve of MI CCW but what if I move there. Do I need to get a new one for WA or can I what till mine expires and just renew it in WA? Thanks for your help.
    RCW 9.41.073: Concealed pistol license ? Reciprocity.
    RCW 9.41.073
    Concealed pistol license — Reciprocity.

(1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:

(i) The licensing state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and

(ii) The licensing state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.

(b) This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast