Wa laws when it comes to firearm storage while at work
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Wa laws when it comes to firearm storage while at work

This is a discussion on Wa laws when it comes to firearm storage while at work within the Washington Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; Has anyone had an employer tell them they cannot keep there firearm in there vehicle while they are working? I ...

Blog Entries

Default Wa laws when it comes to firearm storage while at work

Has anyone had an employer tell them they cannot keep there firearm in there vehicle while they are working? I had my legal firearm in a secured lock box out of site in my truck while I worked, was never an issue until I gave a co_worker a ride home and he saw and complained.

CaptnBud is offline Bud

The co-worker is not much of a friend. What is the Company policy on Weapons? Does WA have a State Law on Weapon Storage at Work that prevents an employer from banning them in their parking lots?

If it is the employers lot, either owned or leased, I understand that they have the right to ban firearms. I believe they will make a mistake if they do though. Same as anyone has the right to bar firearms on their personal property.

Blog Entries

According to all wa laws its perfectly within my rights but the store does own the lot and there is no law preventing them from doing so yet.

You didn't say whether or not you told the co-worker that you used the safe for gun storage, but I'm guessing he saw you gear up after work. So now your secret is out. I never discuss what may or may not be in my safe, trunk, under the seat, closet, fanny pack, etc. "It's just some of my stuff", or, "It comes in handy sometimes", without further explanation.

You have been trumped by private property rights. You need to find a different place to park-and never give that co-worker a ride again.

Blog Entries

No he no longer gets a ride from anyone, and he saw that it was secured, and he saw me gear up... Was just habit didnt even think about it. I get off at 2am so usually its first thing I do.

So has the store told you that you couldn't store your gun??

Blog Entries

Yes, they brought their loss prevention corporate gal down and sat me down saying I cannot store in my personal vehicle while I'm working. Despite my following of all state and federal laws.

You might want to start looking for a new job. Driving around at 2AM I would be concerned that my vehicle would break down. Read your State laws. Some State laws say that a business can't prohibit an employee from storing a gun in a vehicle unless the employee parking is in a secured area and not accessible by the public. If you pack a gun you had better read the law for yourself anyway. Glad to hear your crew supported you.
    NRA,
    Armed Citizens Legal Defense Fund
    http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Blog Entries

I'm in management here but I'll plan on switching careers sometime soon with any luck. let me just say that I did check with as many resources as I could for washington state firearm laws in reference to this particular situation and couldn't find a single law or otherwise that I was in violation of and haven spoken to a criminal attorney who also specializes in second amendment rights I am in no violation of any washington state or federal gun laws of any kind however there is no washington state law currently prohibiting an employer from banning the storage of firearms in a personal vehicle. I'm continuing to research it so if anybody comes up with anything please feel free to send it my way.

Thanks again for all your guys input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast