Any word on WI concealed carry reciprocity with other states? - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Any word on WI concealed carry reciprocity with other states?

This is a discussion on Any word on WI concealed carry reciprocity with other states? within the Wisconsin Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; It seems that if one is in a state that does not do background checks...they would have the option of ...

It seems that if one is in a state that does not do background checks...they would have the option of letting WI do a check?

(f) “Out−of−state license” means a valid permit,
    license, approval, or other authorization issued by
    another state if all of the following apply:
    1. The permit, license, approval, or other authoriza-
    tion is for the carrying of a concealed weapon.
    2. The state is listed in the rule promulgated by the
    department under s. 165.25 (12) and, if that state does not
    require a background search for the permit, license,
    approval, or authorization, the permit, license, approval,
    or authorization designates that the holder chose to sub-
    mit to a background search.

Wink All well and fine however......

While I appreciate the 'snippet' of the law you posted,and obviously WI should follow the law,ultimately it is up to the AG OFFICE and the DOJ to decide which out of state permit is accepted. Unless,of Course they decide to be like Arizona or Indiana for example and accept every permit from every state.
    You have to also remember that the law you quotes(or at least the part of it you posted) was written PRIOR to CCW.
    While it COULD arguably be used for "full acceptance" CCW, and again based upon 2 conversations I personally had with the Wisconsin DOJ,they are compiling a list of out of state permits that meet the new criteria that they are setting for this new CCW.
    In any event bottom line is until something is written from the Department of Justice in Wisconsin,all this debate is hyperbole.They have until November to iron out the wrinkles in this new Wisconsin law.
    Indiana Law(to which I practice) clearly states that the State shall accept permits from any foreign state(meant to be interpreted as any state other than Indiana) and while that IS the law,I found myself being "held for investigation" in Gary on 3 different occasions. It took a sit down with the Chief of Police and Mayor to finally cause to happen a meeting with all Gary Police officers so that they are ALL aware of the State Law.It literally took a letter from the Indiana Attorney General and the Governors Office to finally bring Gary Police up to speed. I would COUNT on some cities in Wisconsin to clutch to the old ways and laws as well.

Similarly,in Wisconsin,you have goof balls like Lauren Cnare in Madison along with a few others that are so miffed this passed that they immediatly stated they will 'change laws' to stop people from carrying in 'their' towns. (Which of course they cannot do since the WI law procludes individual towns and cities from making a gun law that is more restrictive than the State Law.)These anti gunners can,however,designate "no gun zones" similar to those of Arizona(as the Example)
    In the mean time,until CCW is official, (01 Nov 2011) there is still the open carry option in Wisconsin.
    I wish my congrats to the State of Wisconsin for FINALLY passing CCW.

Now if someone could bonk Illinois Gov Pat Quinn upside the head,there will be ALL of the States in this country that recognize CCW.

That being said, I actually DONT need a CCW permit.
    All I do need is a copy of the Bill of Rights with #2 highlighted and ready for display.

I hope this helps you.

ARMED IN CHICAGO.
    " We came,We Saw,We kicked their asses and when the screaming stopped,the blood dried,the smoke cleared and the dust settled...PEACE WAS RESTORED"

Quote Originally Posted by cortchubby View Post
    Similarly,in Wisconsin,you have goof balls like Lauren Cnare in Madison along with a few others that are so miffed this passed that they immediatly stated they will 'change laws' to stop people from carrying in 'their' towns. (Which of course they cannot do since the WI law procludes individual towns and cities from making a gun law that is more restrictive than the State Law.)These anti gunners can,however,designate "no gun zones" similar to those of Arizona(as the Example)
    I don't think they can. Unless a place is prohibited in state statute, a city can not create their own "no gun zones"....unless I'm reading your wording incorrectly.

That being said, I actually DONT need a CCW permit.
    All I do need is a copy of the Bill of Rights with #2 highlighted and ready for display.

I hope this helps you.

ARMED IN CHICAGO.
    If you get arrested for concealed carry in Chicago, post back on the forum and let us know how that worked out for you.

Default Sorry let me clarify

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    I don't think they can. Unless a place is prohibited in state statute, a city can not create their own "no gun zones"....unless I'm reading your wording incorrectly.

If they declare a business a "no gun zone" that falls solely upon the business owner. Ms Cnare was screaming like a wet hen when this law passed.
    as far as no gun zone goes,the individual business,not the town,can declare themselves gun free. This is at the least very confusing!
    " We came,We Saw,We kicked their asses and when the screaming stopped,the blood dried,the smoke cleared and the dust settled...PEACE WAS RESTORED"

Quote Originally Posted by Punch View Post
    If you get arrested for concealed carry in Chicago, post back on the forum and let us know how that worked out for you.

Actually,since I CAN carry on my Private Detective License in Illinois,Im not too worried about being locked up cor UUW. Additionally,I also have the Chicago Firearms Permit,so those that I have on my land are exempt from these foolish restrictive laws as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    If it ends up like Nebraska, this will take a while to sort out in the courts unless the wording is bullet proof specific. In Nebraska, any entity can declare their property to be "no carry" and post it as such. However, the issue becomes the definition of property. A permit holder is specifically allowed to have a pistol in his vehicle on posted property, including schools (with some limitation). Cities may post their buildings as no carry, but city property such as city parks have become a controversy. Omaha parks are posted as no carry, but various state entities have said this is illegal since State Law allows carry on any property that is not private, and not a building. In spite of this, the parks remain posted. Also, one of our Public Power Districts has posted all of its property as no carry. I asked the attorney general's office about this and they said that the standard vehicle provisions apply. Being a political subdivision of the State, they Constitutionally cannot promulgate gun control regulations since that is not in their charter, nor can they search an employee's vehicle without a warrant since the employee, being a public employee, is protected by the State Constitution from warrantless search. I guess it will take someone getting arrested and pushing the matter to get it resolved. Legislators should be more mindful of these things when they write legislation.

Actually,since I CAN carry on my Private Detective License in Illinois,Im not too worried about being locked up cor UUW. Additionally,I also have the Chicago Firearms Permit,so those that I have on my land are exempt from these foolish restrictive laws as well.
    My point was that an underlined copy of the Constitution will do you no good whatever. I am sure if you are stopped, you will present your permits and not an underlined copy of the Constitution. Chicago cops may be smart enough to know what the permit looks like. I doubt any of them have read, or even heard of, the Constitution. At least that is my guess based on their historical actions.

If they declare a business a "no gun zone" that falls solely upon the business owner. Ms Cnare was screaming like a wet hen when this law passed.
    as far as no gun zone goes,the individual business,not the town,can declare themselves gun free. This is at the least very confusing!
    Ah yes...businesses. I thought you were referring to towns/cities declaring, say, town parks as gun free. My mistake.

Default Link to new law

Does someone have the link to the law that was passed so that I can read it myself?
    An armed society is a polite society.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast