Appropriate gun for my daughter
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Appropriate gun for my daughter

This is a discussion on Appropriate gun for my daughter within the Women & Guns forums, part of the Main Category category; My daughter Caragen is turning 16 in August. She wants a Beretta 92FS Italian ("I want the Italian, Daddy") for ...

Default Appropriate gun for my daughter

My daughter Caragen is turning 16 in August. She wants a Beretta 92FS Italian ("I want the Italian, Daddy") for her birthday. I am quite happy to purchase this pistol and a million mags and ammunition for my daughter. My problem is I want to get her a long gun as well. She told me she does not want an AR style rifle "because she doesn't want to kill anybody". (I may want to ease her in that direction later) I would greatly appreciate any input for long guns for a petite person who is a new shooter. She is about 5'2" tall. I have looked at some 9 millimeter carbines to simplify ammunition purchases and am honestly leaning towards a lever action rifle for simplicity of use. What would you ladies (and men who have purchased long guns for ladies) recommend?

For the hand gun my advice is what ever fits her hand and she is comfortable shooting. Go to the range and rent one for her before you buy. My wife likes her M&P 9c. Now the long gun. I bought my wife a Marlin 357 lever. She loves it. It's light weight and low recoil. Remind your daughter that people kill people. Guns are but a tool. Use them wisely.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

I just picked up a used Keltec sub2000 that accepts the Glock 17 magazines in 9mm. My wife and kids can easily use it and it is affordable and reliable.

My daughter chose a Ruger SP101 in .357/.38 for CCW and a S&W Airlite .22 to take hiking. She has a Remington youth model 7mm08 topped with a Leupold Varix3 for her hunting efforts. She stands 5'2" tall. Personally I like her .22 and would like to get one for myself. I'd take hers but she'd pitch a fit.
    MR

A 9mm AR would be fun, and you might pique her interest if you offer to get it duracoated in a girly way like:

"One cannot restrict the defiant by constraining the compliant."
    Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!
    Suggestions by Domineaux | Texas Gun Forum

For a new shooter I'd go with a M&P 15 22. Specially if you want to transition her into a 5.56 AR later on. As to the 92FS, I've got XXL hands and the 92 fills my hand almost to overflowing. A sidearm that does not properly fit the hand is going to be very difficult to shoot properly.

Hand cut, Hand stitched, Hand made

chapguy is offline vanchap

Get her going with a the classic 10/22 from Ruger. They're inexpensive, $229 at Cabela's for the carbine right now, and they have a million accessories available. It doesn't look like the "Black Rifle that kills people" so you can get her into an inexpensive, well made rifle that is fun to shoot. Let her develop the joy of shooting and then show her how much fun those AR platforms can be.

The_Outlaw is offline ~The Dude Abides~
    The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerSix View Post
    My daughter Caragen is turning 16 in August. She wants a Beretta 92FS Italian ("I want the Italian, Daddy") for her birthday. I am quite happy to purchase this pistol and a million mags and ammunition for my daughter. My problem is I want to get her a long gun as well. She told me she does not want an AR style rifle "because she doesn't want to kill anybody". (I may want to ease her in that direction later) I would greatly appreciate any input for long guns for a petite person who is a new shooter. She is about 5'2" tall. I have looked at some 9 millimeter carbines to simplify ammunition purchases and am honestly leaning towards a lever action rifle for simplicity of use. What would you ladies (and men who have purchased long guns for ladies) recommend?
    With the risk of feeding a possibe troll....(If you are not a troll I do apologize)...

1) Nobody here "wants to kill anybody". Anyone who 'wants to kill somebody' is a menace to society.
    2) Nobody needs "A Million magazines with Millions of rounds".
    3) A Beretta 92FS is a pretty large framed handgun for a petite 16 year old girls hands.
    (Maybe a Ruger LC9 would be a much better fit?)
    4) Long gun? Start her off with a good .22 rifle to learn the fundamentals of both safety & marksmanship.
    5) If she's only 16, she's too young to legally be carrying a firearm.
    6) If it's for "Home Defense"...Train her well, because Safety is priority #1.

~Good luck and Stay Safe~
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

Take her to the store and see what works for her, then try to find a rental so you can see if it really works for her. I'd honestly buy her a .22 pistol first and let her learn the basics on that then work her way up.

Sent from this... Using that...

golocx4 is offline Got Beretta's?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Outlaw View Post
    1) Nobody here "wants to kill anybody". Anyone who 'wants to kill somebody' is a menace to society.
    2) Nobody needs "A Million magazines with Millions of rounds".
    3) A Beretta 92FS is a pretty large framed handgun for a petite 16 year old girls hands.
    (Maybe a Ruger LC9 would be a much better fit?)
    4) Long gun? Start her off with a good .22 rifle to learn the fundamentals of both safety & marksmanship.
    5) If she's only 16, she's too young to legally be carrying a firearm.
    6) If it's for "Home Defense"...Train her well, because Safety is priority #1.
    What Outlaw said including "If you are not a troll I do apologize".
    Bloomberg is trying to shut down Firearms Sales on Forums so we know the Trolls are out there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast