Anyone carry while pregnant and/or nursing?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Anyone carry while pregnant and/or nursing?

This is a discussion on Anyone carry while pregnant and/or nursing? within the Women & Guns forums, part of the Main Category category; My belt will soon not fit, so I need some other options. I think I can make the bellyband last ...

Question Anyone carry while pregnant and/or nursing?

My belt will soon not fit, so I need some other options. I think I can make the bellyband last a while longer, but probably not the whole time. Afterward, even when the belt fits again I can't prop baby on top of gun for nursing (normally carry appendix IWB). It's coming to summertime, so not the time to experiment with an ankle holster, plus I know there will be a few months when I can't bend that far. Purse carry will mostly work okay when I go out, but I don't want to drag my purse around the house with me, or worry about locking it when I leave the room (two other kids who I do trust but still, they're kids). How have others managed this?
    Aubrey

Pocket Carry could be an option. But, I don't know any women that have had a problem carrying IWB while nursing or attending to their baby. I do know one or two that have carried a bug in the diaper bag though.

-
    “Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith. If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God.” —JAMES TOUR, NANOSCIENTIST

I have not ;) .....
    Jim Page

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

Quote Originally Posted by momstar View Post
    My belt will soon not fit, so I need some other options. I think I can make the bellyband last a while longer, but probably not the whole time. Afterward, even when the belt fits again I can't prop baby on top of gun for nursing (normally carry appendix IWB). It's coming to summertime, so not the time to experiment with an ankle holster, plus I know there will be a few months when I can't bend that far. Purse carry will mostly work okay when I go out, but I don't want to drag my purse around the house with me, or worry about locking it when I leave the room (two other kids who I do trust but still, they're kids). How have others managed this?
    Have you considered a 5 o'clock position. Not the middle of the back, but off center? I personally have not encountered this particular situation (I'm male), but would think this would be an option.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Have you considered a 5 o'clock position. Not the middle of the back, but off center? I personally have not encountered this particular situation (I'm male), but would think this would be an option.
    That's definitely an option afterward when the belt fits again, and I think I could probably get used to it, but there will be quite some time when nothing in the waist-area will really be feasible.
    Aubrey

Default Anyone carry while pregnant and/or nursing?

My wife carried in her purse while pregnant but then again that's where she always carries. I've tried to get her to carry on her person but she very rarely wears pants capable of supporting a holster. She loves her yoga pants.

Quote Originally Posted by momstar View Post
    That's definitely an option afterward when the belt fits again, and I think I could probably get used to it, but there will be quite some time when nothing in the waist-area will really be feasible.
    I'm just brainstorming here since I'm really curious how you will satisfy this current predicament.

Most OWB and IWB do require a belt to loop through or clip on... also a thigh rig generally needs to hang from a belt for better support. Even shoulder holsters need a belt to keep them from flopping. Banning all these, and knowing you won't want to or can't bend over for an ankle holster, I have only two ideas.

1) a pocket holster (if your particular firearm will work for that)

2) Flashbang Bra Holster Flashbang Bra Holster - GunGoddess.com

I personally have used a Kholster IWB holster while wearing pajama bottoms and it stayed put. This may be an option too. Kholster Holsters: Infinity Tuckable Holsters

Let us know what you finally end up with.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    I'm just brainstorming here since I'm really curious how you will satisfy this current predicament.

Most OWB and IWB do require a belt to loop through or clip on... also a thigh rig generally needs to hang from a belt for better support. Even shoulder holsters need a belt to keep them from flopping. Banning all these, and knowing you won't want to or can't bend over for an ankle holster, I have only two ideas.

1) a pocket holster (if your particular firearm will work for that)

2) Flashbang Bra Holster Flashbang Bra Holster - GunGoddess.com

I personally have used a Kholster IWB holster while wearing pajama bottoms and it stayed put. This may be an option too. Kholster Holsters: Infinity Tuckable Holsters

Let us know what you finally end up with.
    I didn't know a thigh or shoulder holster also needs a belt, so I'm glad you pointed that out!

The Kholster looks a lot like my current fave qwikclip - you can wear it without a belt?

Women's pants have tiny pockets, so I don't think pocket carry will work, even for the LC9. Some of my pants don't even have back pockets, they have nothing at all or a strip sewn on to look like a pocket.

Right now this blog post has me leaning toward trying a remora holster, between elastic-waistband and skin. That way I can keep pretty much the same area, not have to learn a whole new draw strategy, and/or use it in a pocket when I have pants that will manage that. Then after baby comes, go back to IWB but at 4:00 or 5:00 instead of 2:00.
    Aubrey

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    My wife carried in her purse while pregnant but then again that's where she always carries. I've tried to get her to carry on her person but she very rarely wears pants capable of supporting a holster. She loves her yoga pants.
    I'm a huge fan of yoga pants too (bought my first pair of maternity ones yesterday!), and usually go with a pistolwear PT-1 inside. You just have to position it carefully (not too close to center) so it doesn't look like you've got "parts" that shouldn't be there. ;)
    Aubrey

Not all women's pants have unusable pockets. There's some great stuff out there today. Find out where LEO in your area shop. My wife has bought some great pants & shorts that women leos & women cc'ers use. Some of them have a built-in holster pocket in the wb that an LC9 would easily fit in.

A quick Google search for CC or LEO clothing should bring up some good results. Women have a wide choice in cc clothing today. You can find office attire, casual clothes & sexy out on the town stuff today. You just need to get your mindset right; so you understand women's department stores at the mall may "NOT" be the best places for a woman to shop for CC clothing.

-
    “Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith. If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God.” —JAMES TOUR, NANOSCIENTIST

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast