It is unlawful for anyone (except for law enforcement), including persons with a CCW license, to knowingly carry an unconcealed weapon (firearm, electric weapon, a
knife or a billy club) in the following locations:
- Any portion of a building that is a police station, sheriff‘s office, state patrol station, or the office of a Division of Criminal Investigation special agent of DOJ.
- Any portion of a building that is a prison, jail, house of correction, or secured correctional facility.
- The Sand Ridge Secure Treatment Center, the Wisconsin Resource Center, or any secured unit or secured portion of a mental health institution, including a facility designated as the Maximum Security Facility at the Mendota Mental Health Institute.
- Any portion of a building that is a county, state, or federal courthouse.
- Any portion of a building that is a municipal courtroom if court is in session.
- A place beyond a security checkpoint in an airport.
- School grounds and premises:
- No one, including a CCW licensee may carry a firearm in or on the grounds of a school unless another specific statutory exception applies.
- No one, including a CCW licensee may carry any other dangerous weapon on school premises unless a specific statutory exception applies.
- Also see: POSSESSION OF FIREARMS AND OTHER WEAPONS ON SCHOOL PROPERTY.
- Persons who do not have a CCW permit may not carry a handgun in a tavern and those persons with a CCW license may carry a concealed handgun in a tavern only if NOT consuming alcohol. Wis. Stat. § 941.237(3)(cx).
- Federal law applies to the possession of firearms and weapons on US government property