Notify LEO of carry
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Notify LEO of carry

Notify LEO of carry

I have looked in numerous places and can't find it anywhere, do you have to notify LEO's in Alabama during a trafic stop that you are cfarrying? I am from Georgia and here we are not required to notify. Can anyone point me in the right direction for this?
    I fear a government that fears my gun.

I tried to find something and had no luck. Call the State Patrol and ask.

No.

Alabama

Cool Notify LEO of Carry

I just talked to the Alabama State Trooper Office and was told that you DO have to notify the LEO when you are stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    I just talked to the Alabama State Trooper Office and was told that you DO have to notify the LEO when you are stopped.
    I'd suggest you call them back and ask what statute says that. I don't see it....

AL Code Chpter 13A-11-70-85

As you may or may not have found out by now, DO NOT ASK LEOs ABOUT GUN LAWS! They don't know and they don't have the time to look them up. There is no law in AL requiring you to notify any LEO that you are armed. HOWEVER, it is considered a common courtesy to let a LEO know you are armed. The LEO will more likely treat you better if you tell them beforehand than for them to find out later you are armed and didn't tell them. For more info on AL gun laws, go to Welcome To Alabama Open Carry!.

Handgun Laws.us

Here is a site which is kept up to date. Handgunlaw.us

Just click on the state in question, look top right of the state specific page for your answer. (Must Inform Officer: NO)

Updates to this Page is always at the bottom along with what was changed.

1/12/11 Error on map fixed. NV does not honor AL.

Lots of great links to actual laws and state websites. Page also has common questions explained through out the page. Best I've found so far.

Chap

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post

I bet they'd tell you, you do have to notify the officer if you have weed in the car too
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

10. Quote Originally Posted by Chap View Post
    Here is a site which is kept up to date. Handgunlaw.us

Just click on the state in question, look top right of the state specific page for your answer. (Must Inform Officer: NO)

Updates to this Page is always at the bottom along with what was changed.

1/12/11 Error on map fixed. NV does not honor AL.

Lots of great links to actual laws and state websites. Page also has common questions explained through out the page. Best I've found so far.

Chap
    Chap, if you keep that site up to date or know who does, I believe that page 4 contains an error regarding AL WMA:

WMAs: NO Admin Code 220-2 (the link didn't work for me).

Here is the WMA map for the Black Warrior WMA in NW Alabama. Look on the back and all the way down to the bottom and you can read this:

"29. Nothing in this regulation prohibits or requires a wildlife permit for the possession of a handguns by lawfully licensed person for personal protection, provided the handguns are not...."

Note that unlike the other 28 unlawful items, #29 is all underlined; in short, they wanted to make clear that carrying a handgun is legal in the BW WMA. I haven't looked at the other WMA regulations so don't know if they're the same or different. I'll see if I can look later today. Here's the BW WMA map with regulations: http://www.outdooralabama.com/huntin...rior%20Map.pdf

Thanks,

While there is no requirement to notify under the code, sheriffs who issue can set additional regulations/requirements for the permits they issue. A sheriff could make that a requirement. I would suggest providing a copy of your permit and license to an officer together during any interaction with LEOs and notifying them regardless of the requirement. It's safer for everyone to be proactive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast