AL may issue?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AL may issue?

AL may issue?

Was just looking at the map to see if WI was updated and noticed AL is may issue? is that new? I never noticed that.

No. AL has been a "may issue" state for years.

4. Not only is it a May Issue state, but there is no state wide standard. By law, it is left up to the county sheriff to set the requirements, fees, etc ... In reality, it is treated as Shall Issue in every county I've ever heard of. Fees are cheap ($15-20) and requirements are low (NCIC background check, checking of local references, ...). No fingerprints, stool samples, cheek swabs, or other invasive procedures needed. The bad news is that we have to renew every year and it must be done through the local sheriff- not the state- and if you move to a different county, you have to get a new permit from that county. The good news is that you can normally walk in, pay your $20 and walk out with your renewed permit (I renewed in Lee County in February in less than 20 minutes- including having my picture taken and waiting in line). The local wait for an initial permit is about 1 business week and they send you a nice reminder by the mail at the first of the month and you can renew by mail if you wish.

Personally, I like it just the way it is handled. I feel it keeps the state government out of what I think needs to be handled at the local level to begin with. Ironically, both the NRA and HCI gives Alabama pretty good scores on the issue. HCI likes the fact that it's not Shall Issue and the NRA likes the way it's handled in real life.

Que Troll

Thumbs down May Issue non-sense

Alabama and Deleware are both "May-issue" states. However these two states have the odd distinction of being the only two such states to accept out of state permits. Typically only shall-issue states accept out of state permits. For instance, the State of Iowa recently went from "may-issue" to shall issue, and in doing so also started recognizing out of state permits as well.

About half of the "may-issue" states issue non-resident permits. Sadly Alabama is behind the curve on this matter. Deleware will issue nonresident permits, as did Iowa when it was a "may-issue" state.

As to the issue of local sherifs being able to make up the rules as they go along, this is especially problematic. We have seen instances of inconsistency between jurisdictions in several states that have a similar set-up.

When Iowa was "may-issue" they was a case that made headlines where a sheriff refused to issue a permit to a qualified aplicant because he disagreed with his participation in the political process. This sheriff was sued in federal court where he lost and was told to take a course on the constitution. How is that for poetic justice? Iowa has since then gone "shall-issue" so this loophole has been closed.

California is another such case, and certainly a worse one at that. California law leaves the individual county to decide who gets permits and what the standards are. In practice the likelihood of getting a concealed carry permit is statistically correlated to the overall number of blacks and hispanics in your county. Too many black or hispanic people in your county and you won't get a permit. Worse yet if you happen to actually be black or hispanic, or have a black or hispanic sounding name, you can forget about getting a permit. A fellow by the name of Jim March has been tracking the situation in California for a number of years. He found that in certain counties with large populations of hispanic people, the names Garcia, Hernandez, Torres, and Fernandez did not appear on the list of carry permit holders. That is certainly not an accidental phenomenon.

In New York state the judge for the county in question decides who gets permits and what "restrictions" are given on those permits. There are no set standards, nor is there any statutory definition of what restrictions can be placed on a permit. The rules are made up as they go along.

Connecticut has an even worse patchwork system of local jurisdictions deciding what the rules are. Connecticut also includes an interview process for deciding who does or does not get a permit. This process opens a huge can of worms for discrimination issues, as perception of the aplicant becomes a factor.

This leads me to a question that has never been satisfactorily answered. What is to stop local sheriffs in Alabama from refusing to issue permits to people because they are black, muslim, gay or lesbian, or a member of some other group that the local sheriff does not like? Currently in Alabama there does not appear to be an adaquate check on the power of the local sheriff to engage in such adverse actions. An Alabama resident could, in theory, obtain an out of state permit that the state accepts as a work around. However it would seem that that process leaves a lot to be desired.

6. "An Alabama resident could, in theory, obtain an out of state permit that the state accepts as a work around. However it would seem that that process leaves a lot to be desired."

Another excellent example of why this troll should stay out of the Alabama forum.

7. Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    "An Alabama resident could, in theory, obtain an out of state permit that the state accepts as a work around. However it would seem that that process leaves a lot to be desired."

Another excellent example of why this troll should stay out of the Alabama forum.
    Especially since I don't think Alabama recognizes ANY non resident permit.

But you better watch calling him a troll.

The admin won't stop him (which I find chickenshit to an extreme) and won't let anybody stand up to him either. I got threatened with a ban for doing so.

I have no major issues with how AL handles it's CCP process. I can remember when my dad first got his permit (about 40+ yrs ago) and the process was about the same except for the background check and the fact that the Sheriff actually came to our house to write up the permit. Can't get house calls anymore. I would not mind seeing some consistency across the state instead of each Sheriff making their own provisions. I also would not mind seeing a training class to qualify.

9. Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    Especially since I don't think Alabama recognizes ANY non resident permit.
    According to USACarry maps, there are five states that only honor resident permits: CO, FL, MI, NH and SC.

Quote Originally Posted by weagle83 View Post
    [snip]

I also would not mind seeing a training class to qualify.
    I would. There's no need for it, as proven by VT, AK, AZ and now WY. None whatsoever.

I certainly understand your point 05. Things work fine as they are. Just saying that I personally know of several people with CCP that I'm not sure if I would be more worried about getting intentially shot by the bad guy or being collateral damage from those carriers. Unfortunately, I'm must say that a couple of them are family. I've tried to work with them but they just don't see the need to practice.

Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    "An Alabama resident could, in theory, obtain an out of state permit that the state accepts as a work around. However it would seem that that process leaves a lot to be desired."

If the information is incorrect please site your sorce so that the admin of these forums can update their maps and info on state laws.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast