Driving through Alabama ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving through Alabama ?

1. Driving through Alabama ?

My family and I are taking a trip to New Orleans and Pensacola, FL. I have an SC CWP, but noticed that AL doesn't recognize our permits. What exactly are your laws pertaining to transporting firearms? It seems I can wear it in Georgia, Louisiana, and Florida, but you guys are the only ones I can't. What do I need to do with it while I'm in Alabama?

3. Get a Utah permit? Since when can a SC permit conceal in Ga? I can carry in Fl with SC permit but not Ga. That was the reason I got a Utah permit. Federal transport (which sucks) is usually the fall back, unless in NYC, DC or some other cities...

Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    What exactly are your laws pertaining to transporting firearms?
    Given, there's a resource right on this website that will give you links to all the relevant statutes why don't you look it up yourself?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

5. Quote Originally Posted by izaclown View Post
    Get a Utah permit? Since when can a SC permit conceal in Ga? I can carry in Fl with SC permit but not Ga. That was the reason I got a Utah permit. Federal transport (which sucks) is usually the fall back, unless in NYC, DC or some other cities...
    Sorry, forgot to mention that I also have a PA non-resident permit. So I'm good in GA. And our trip is in less than a month, far too little time to go through the process of getting a Utah. Not to mention that what few states it would add, I'm not sure I want to invest that much into it when this is probably the only time I've been through Alabama in over 10 years and will probably be the last for another 10. By the time I go through it again, I plan to be in federal LE and won't have to worry about these silly laws.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Given, there's a resource right on this website that will give you links to all the relevant statutes why don't you look it up yourself?
    My number one reason was to make you ask that question. Mission accomplished. My second reason was because I like to keep the fine folks of AL on their toes and make sure they're keeping up with their state's gun laws. What good am I doing them if I just look it up myself? A third reason is because, from an outsider looking in, if I were to read all of SC's gun laws, they can get quite confusing the way they're worded and the way you'll have one law that says you can do one thing and then 50 subsections later there's a statute with a "unless this or this or this". So I figured I'd just ask the people who should know the most about it for a quick answer.

Have I explained myself enough for you sir or should I continue to come up with reasons? Oh I guess reason number 4 could be that I was subconsciously hoping that someone with absolutely nothing better to do wouldn't get on here and read my post and give me reasons why I shouldn't have asked the question I did.

Starting August 1, 2013 your SC permit will be good in Alabama.

TAKING ACTION: Confusion Over Alabama?s Sweeping Gun Rights Bill | WHNT.com
    "Allows for all other valid state-issued permits to carry a concealed firearm to be recognized in Alabama."

8. Quote Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
    Starting August 1, 2013 your SC permit will be good in Alabama.

TAKING ACTION: Confusion Over Alabama?s Sweeping Gun Rights Bill | WHNT.com
    "Allows for all other valid state-issued permits to carry a concealed firearm to be recognized in Alabama."
    Thanks for that article! Answered 99% of my questions. I just have one more though.

I'll be in the car with my wife and parents. My dad also has his SC CWP and PA non-resident. He rarely ever carried his on him, especially when it's in the car. I noticed the article says that the gun has to be unloaded, locked up, an out of the reach of the driver. Does this apply to people with a valid CWP from another state also, or could he have a loaded gun in the center console or glove box?

My family and I are taking a trip to New Orleans and Pensacola, FL. I have an SC CWP, but noticed that AL doesn't recognize our permits. What exactly are your laws pertaining to transporting firearms? It seems I can wear it in Georgia, Louisiana, and Florida, but you guys are the only ones I can't. What do I need to do with it while I'm in Alabama?
    look up FOPA and then learn and follow the laws, do this and you can travel through states where your permits are invalid.

Have I explained myself enough for you sir
    No you have not

or should I continue to come up with reasons?
    Chop Chop get hot
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

11. Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    look up FOPA and then learn and follow the laws, do this and you can travel through states where your permits are invalid.
    FOPA says that if the state has gun control laws stricter than most transportation laws, the gun has to be locked in a container in the trunk of the car. [email protected]"; that! Are there laws restricting what criminals are allowed to do between the time they initiate contact and the time I get the gun?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast