Relocating to Alabama
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Relocating to Alabama

1. Relocating to Alabama

Hi All

I'm new to this forum and currently live in Ohio. I have accepted a job in Lanett AL and will be relocating to the Auburn / Opelika area in the next 30 - 60 days. I currently have a Ohio CCW permit and would like to get my Alabama permit asap once I move to AL.

From what I've been able to find on the web it looks like Alabama is a "May Issue State" with permit approval being controlled by the county sheriff. Is it fairly easy to get your pistol permit in Lee County or should I be looking at houses in the Chambers county area?

Are there any forum members who live in that area who could advise me on a good school district (my son's a Sophomore) and / or gun ranges or shooting clubs in the area??

Thanks
    Plas62

Best bet would be to contact both of those agencies... Depends upon the Sheriff of the county you reside in but some will require you to be a resident for a certain amount of time before issuing.

I don't know how I missed this thread. I moved from the Soprano State to Blount County a year ago, and the CCW process was routine and efficient. I went to the sheriff's office, filled out a one-page form, showed my driver's license, and got my permit in about 5 minutes.

It is far easier to get a CCW license in Alabama than to get a permit to purchase a handgun in New Jersey, even if you already have purchased handguns. So notice how low the crime rate is in Newark, Camden, Trenton, Jersey City . . .

New Jersey and Alabama are both "may issue" states in theory, but in practice Alabama is "shall issue" and New Jersey is "won't issue."

Now You Must Choose...

Welcome to Dixie!!! I also moved here from ohia, will never return north. Now you must choose... Alabama Crimson Tide or auburn tigers? lol The gun laws here are very relaxed, not sure about the crime rate, but I also walked into the local SO, talked to the sheriff before I went, and had my lisence within 5 mins. Walked from the office to the local "if they make it, we sell it" store, chose my gun (a Ruger P94 .40 S&W), filled the paperwork, got some ammo, paid my money, and walked out.... no waiting period here.
    "If at first ya dont succeed, hit it harder, or get a bigger hammer"

6. Quote Originally Posted by Plas62 View Post
    Hi All

I'm new to this forum and currently live in Ohio. I have accepted a job in Lanett AL and will be relocating to the Auburn / Opelika area in the next 30 - 60 days. I currently have a Ohio CCW permit and would like to get my Alabama permit asap once I move to AL.

From what I've been able to find on the web it looks like Alabama is a "May Issue State" with permit approval being controlled by the county sheriff. Is it fairly easy to get your pistol permit in Lee County or should I be looking at houses in the Chambers county area?

Are there any forum members who live in that area who could advise me on a good school district (my son's a Sophomore) and / or gun ranges or shooting clubs in the area??

Thanks
    Plas62
    Forget the whole 'May Issue' thing. Alabama just doesn't have a state wide law about concealed carry permits. It is left up to the county sheriffs to decide the actual requirements. If you look, the NRA and the Brady bunch both like AL 's concealed carry law. The Brady bunch likes it because it doesn't say 'Shall Issue' in the state law and the NRA likes it because they've actually looked at how the permits are handled. The only draw back is that some states don't like it and will not make a reciprocity agreement with AL.

Lee County is $20 a year for the permit. It used to be $15 but I think the new sheriff wanted to do away with having to keep change for a $20 around. No finger prints required. The sheriff will even send you a nice reminder card at the beginning of the month that your permit is due for renewal. The renewal can be done by mail or by dropping by the Sheriff's Office and taking about 5 or 10 minutes out of your day.

In that area, the city of Auburn would be your best bet. They have the best school system in the area. Lanet is only about 20-25 miles up the interstate, so the commute isn't outrageous.

There's an unsupervised 100 yard range out in the Tuskegee National Forest that is the closest. There's also a gun club outside Phenix City (East Alabama Gun Club - Home Page ) that would be the next closest. Then you have an indoor range in Columbus, GA about 45 minutes away and any ranges in the Montgomery area that may still be open.

On January 1, 2001, when Iowa joins the "shall issue" club and recognizes all CCW permits, Alabama's permit will be good in half the 50 states. The main obstacle for many of the other states is that Alabama does not require any kind of shooting or gun safety course. For example, all my other permits (NH, ME, PA, UT, FL, VA, CT) require proof of having taken a course at one level or another.

Plas62, an Alabama lawyer who specializes in gun and self-defense cases told me that he is unaware of any instance in which a law-abiding Alabama citizen was arbitrarily turned down for a CCW permit. You will find, however, that the physical permits range from quite professionally made down to simple printouts on computer paper, not even laminated.

Alabama's Past

I may get flamed for saying this but, I personally have a problem with Alabama's lack of a standard "shall-issue" law. I do not wish to rely on the goodwill of a particular sheriff on this issue, especially given Alabama's less than stellar history on the subject of race relations. What's to stop a sheriff from refusing to issue permits to black people, well, because they're black?!? Just because it has not happened does not mean that it cannot happen.

9. Angry

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    I may get flamed for saying this but, I personally have a problem with Alabama's lack of a standard "shall-issue" law. I do not wish to rely on the goodwill of a particular sheriff on this issue, especially given Alabama's less than stellar history on the subject of race relations. What's to stop a sheriff from refusing to issue permits to black people, well, because they're black?!? Just because it has not happened does not mean that it cannot happen.
    The same could be said of ANY 'May Issue' state that gives the ranking LEO of a county or city discretionary powers.

But mostly because it's NOT 1960 any more- even in the 'wilds' of Alabama. Believe it or not.

Seriously, you've been watching way too much TV. We don't use the term 'colored' in everyday speech, there isn't a 'blacks only' water fountain in the state unless they saved one for a museum over in Selma, oral hygiene is a common practice, we wear shoes whether it's cold outside or not and nobody dates their cousins. The Civil Rights Movement won that battle almost 50 years in the past. Most folks down here have moved past it, I just wish the rest of the nation would, too.

Sheriffs are elected officials. They'd have to run for office and keep running for office to get reelected. A stunt like that would kill their political career- if they could hold it together long enough to get elected to the position to begin with. AND the first hint of such an act taking place would bring in an avalanche of Federal Civil Rights law suits and the ABI, FBI and a dozen more alphabet agencies would be looking under EVERY rock and in ALL the nooks and crannies for more signs of malfeasance. I hear former LEO's don't do well in prison and I doubt a sheriff would want to try his luck.

Besides, almost all the Klukkers got ran off in the '60's and '70's. They now mostly live up in Ohio and Indiana. The few that are still about are treated like the lunatic fringe they really are by the general public.

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    The same could be said of ANY 'May Issue' state that gives the ranking LEO of a county or city discretionary powers.
    It IS HAPPENING in California. Google the name Jim March, this man is working to expose just how bad the may issue system is (not) working in California. Basically in California, the likelyhood of getting issued a CCW depends a great deal on the racial makeup of the county you live in. Too many black or hispanic people in your county and you can count on not getting issued a CCW.

If it can happen in California, who is to say that it cannot happen in Alabama?

11. Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    If it can happen in California, who is to say that it cannot happen in Alabama?
    Because it is California, not Alabama.

Racism is a Southern thing, remember?

Or at least that's what the mass media has led folks to believe. The first mere accusation of something like that happening in the South would lead to every civil rights group in the country lining up to sue.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast