Travel to Alaska
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel to Alaska

Travel to Alaska

It appears I have no way to transport my Glock 19 TO Alaska?? I have been reading thru Canada Rules and Regs, and there's NO WAY I want to even attempt that. Any suggestions (?) as my wife and I are going to visit for 3 months in 2011

ship it FFL to FFL?

Don't know where you are headed but there are several options besides through Canada. 1. Fly to Alaska and rent a vehicle when you get there. 2. Take the Ferry from Washington. 3. Ship your gun to an FFL dealer at the location you are headed and pick it up when you get there. By the way, with all the big critters there, I think my choice would be my S&W M29 Mountain Gun instead of my G19 - just sayin'.
    Help your own self - the Government is busy takin' care of itself!
    Retired LEO

Thanks . . . . We are taking a 5th wheel for about 2 or 3 months. FFL to FFL sounds like a decent idea. By the way, I am far more worried about the unpredictable 2-leged varmits versus the 4-legged predictable ones.

Sounds like quite an adventure. I worked for my oldest brother's tire store for a few years, and two guys came in and wanted 6 10 ply tires (2 spares) for their Land rover. They were going to drive as close as they could to the Arctic Circle. I remember they brought some photos to show us when they returned. They said the heater wouldn't keep up with the cold even on full blast, so they had to hang a blanket behind the front seats to contain the warmth. Their sandwiches were frozen solid in the back seat. Things can get ugly fast there. Hope you take some pix to share with us.
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

The only thing I can suggest is either ship your Glock to a gun store(I can recommend a couple)and pick it up when you get here,or buy another gun when visit our great State. I refuse to travel through Canada again without a firearm,I've never felt more naked in my life. Send me a PM if you need the name of a couple gun shops.

You can send it to yourself in care of another person. You don't need to use an FFL to send the firearm. For handguns, you can't use USPS. The only issue is finding someone to receive it for you if you send it in advance. If you delay shipping until you arrive, no issues.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
    A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
    A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
    Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

As far as the USPS goes,you can ship a hand gun in pieces. I usually send my frame in one box and the slide and clips in another. I found out this info at our local post office. You do have to let them know that you are shipping a part of a gun. I always ship insured and someone must sign for it when it arrives. I usually leave the box open and seal it in front of the postal employee.

Quote Originally Posted by retirednak View Post
    As far as the USPS goes,you can ship a hand gun in pieces. I usually send my frame in one box and the slide and clips in another. I found out this info at our local post office. You do have to let them know that you are shipping a part of a gun. I always ship insured and someone must sign for it when it arrives. I usually leave the box open and seal it in front of the postal employee.

WRONG! No offense RetiredNak, just want our readers to know the facts and the law, regardless of what the postal employee behind the counter says. I know you were talking about postal regulations; but this is restricted by Federal Law.

You can send ONLY the parts of the gun that are not designated as the "firearm" part of the handgun. That means no serialized frames. Also can NOT send the "silencer" part of a silencer, which is normally the serial numbered external tube. ONLY FFLs can send handguns or firearms using USPS, and then only if they send to another FFL. And a handgun frame is considered by law to be a handgun.

PLEASE do not send handguns through USPS unless you are an FFL or certain law enforcement.

The key language is here. NOTE that "firearm" by definition includes the frame of a pistol or handgun:

18 USC 1715 starts with: "Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person are nonmailable"

18 USC 921
    "Sec. 921. Definitions

(a) As used in this chapter--

(3) The term "firearm'' means (A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon; (C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm."

(29) The term “handgun” means—
    (A) a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand; and
    (B) any combination of parts from which a firearm described in subparagraph (A) can be assembled.

"DEFINITION OF "FIREARM": 18 USC 921(a)(3), (4). Any weapon (including a starter gun) which will expel a projectile by means of an explosive or is designed or may be readily converted to do so. This includes the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any firearm muffler or silencer or any destructive device. A "destructive device" includes any explosive, incendiary or poison gas --- (i)bomb; (ii) grenade or (iii) similar device, or any combination of parts designed or intended for use in converting any device into a destructive device, or from which a destructive device may be readily assembled. Does not include antique firearms.
    http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulin...ing-2008-1.pdf

Thanks for the info,I'm going to print this out and take it back to the post office and see what they say. It appears I've been lucky sending my guns when I travel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast