Man fired gun into air in road rage incident, police say - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Man fired gun into air in road rage incident, police say

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    See ours is a little different, it's the lesser of two evils here.

    The threat of physical force by an able bodied person against an able bodied person does not justify the threat of deadly force.

    Your expected to be a man here.

    Actually, reading your text again, you sure that's talking about deadly vs physical?

    To me it reads the same as ours, physical against physical, deadly against deadly.

    Also here in Kentucky, it's not about if you feel threatened, but if a reasonable man would have felt threatened. Otherwise we could all go around saying, "Well I felt threatened by deadly force." regardless of the actual facts of the situation.
    Here it comes down to the totality of the situation. Was the guy bigger, younger, stronger. It all depends on circumstance. One guy might not fear for his life the next in the same situation may. If he feels that he might receive serious injury or death then there is no Grand Jury in the state that will indite him. Texas is a Grand Jury state. So even if he had shot the guy a grand jury would have to indite him. Unless it is clear cut you are not going to get a Grand Jury to indite anyone in Texas for self defense.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

  2.   
  3. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI & Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper Specialty View Post
    I have to completely agree with this poster. Granted, shooting into the air is a bad idea- but the details are hazy with regard to how it should have been handled in NORMAL situations like this. Assuming that this person was NOT the instigator and continued the "ordeal", if someone follows you, pulls up to your home, and gets out of the car to come after you- that may well be reason enough to draw.

    I know a good many people that if they get in striking distance of you, weapon or not, YOU ARE DEAD. Martial arts are NO joke! Do you really want to find out after the fact that the person coming at you was capable of this? After you are dead, a paraplegic, or broken into bits for the EMT's to scoop up and surgeons to put back together? After that type of person gets within range of you, you don't have much chance of drawing successfully. Sorry, its not worth the risk. Hopefully the simple act of drawing would deter the person, but if the moron kept coming after that, his intentions are more than clear.

    I would strongly recommend that you consult an attorney in your area who is familiar with firearms laws. With the mindset you currently have, you may end up in jail sooner than later, and your actions will end up being the kind of news that most of us on this site don't like to hear. Maybe we'll even have a thread started about you.


    gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

  4. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    Then unless you are elderly or crippled, that makes you a coward too.

    Equal force for physical is physical, not deadly.

    Don't hide behind your gun, people get locked up for that.

    But you'll be alright, simply notifying most people that you are armed will be sufficient to make them back down because they are worried about someone like you shooting them because they just want to fight.
    You people are idiots - "just wants to fight". This ain't 7th grade. If one or the other gets the upper hand and let's assume it's him and not you, then you could end up with permanent disability or death from just a fight with an adult man. Let's assume that at some point he ends up on top of you and you are pinned down and unable to extricate yourself. What happens if at that point he reaches into his waistband and pulls a knife? Or if he decides to pull your gun - if you're like me and you pretty much carry 24/7?
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    You people are idiots - "just wants to fight". This ain't 7th grade. If one or the other gets the upper hand and let's assume it's him and not you, then you could end up with permanent disability or death from just a fight with an adult man. Let's assume that at some point he ends up on top of you and you are pinned down and unable to extricate yourself. What happens if at that point he reaches into his waistband and pulls a knife? Or if he decides to pull your gun - if you're like me and you pretty much carry 24/7?
    I'm not an idiot, I'm just not scared to fight.

    Fighting doesn't end in the 7th grade, although it does lessen for most of us as we mature, most of us realize it takes longer to heal.

    For the sake of your freedom, go take a self defense course or learn some martial arts if your that concerned that your going to come up against Bruce Lee.

    The law here does state that if faced with a obviously superior opponent that the threat and eventual use of deadly force is acceptable. I will concede that if faced with someone that outweighs you by 100 lbs or more, or if they are trained in martial arts (and your not), which will be obvious early on, that employing your firearm is acceptable. But you had better use the THREAT of deadly force first and the actual use as a last resort.

    I also carry 24/7 and if someone were to make a grab for my gun, then they have threatened deadly force and they will be shot. But as I stated before, simply notifying someone that you are armed and if they make a grab for your gun you will shoot them will be enough to make them back off. Just do the smart thing and file a police report right after the incident so they can't call the police and say you only said you were gonna shoot them.

    Carrying a firearm is a HUGH responsibility and it sounds like your prepared to use it recklessly. A judge and DA will not hear your argument.

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    I would strongly recommend that you consult an attorney in your area who is familiar with firearms laws. With the mindset you currently have, you may end up in jail sooner than later, and your actions will end up being the kind of news that most of us on this site don't like to hear. Maybe we'll even have a thread started about you.


    gf
    And you are certainly entitled to your opinion on the matter. The fact is, I said *MAY* be reason enough to draw, and highlighted a background reason as to why based on the use of deadly force by hands alone, which many people are or can be capable of. Obviously, each situation would differ, and it would strongly depend on who/what/how it happened, that goes without saying. If a 4'11" 90lb guy gets out of his car as says "Hey Man, you need to calm down", that's a lot different than a 6'4" 250lb guy who gets out of his car screaming "I am going to KILL YOU!" while fumbling for something in his pocket- I would hope anyone could make the determination between the two...extreme examples I know. If the guy keeps coming on threat of deadly force, keeps coming after you reach and draw- his intentions are more than clear at that point.

    It should be VERY obvious I was speaking hypothetically on this, and CHANGED the situation itself to back up the other posters argument/comment because I could see the point he was getting at. However, I also may have a slightly skewed opinion of what people in martial arts are capable of, since I know a few who are very high level and/or instructors. I can plainly say that if one of them went off the deep end, you are in BIG trouble. Real life isn't like the movies- you don't pummel the guy over and over, and over. If one of those types hits you ONCE, in the right places- you are in the hospital or dead.

    I am not saying what I would do in this situation- the fact is that none of us can know for certain until we are IN the situation. I am simply playing devils advocate here on a hypothetical situation based on the original post. Perhaps you need to be a little more open to thinking out of the box on this situation? Not everything is Black and White.

  7. #26
    A physical altercation is no joke... a couple years ago a friend of mine was in a fight..."fists only", in defense of a friend. The fight was broken up and everybody went their seperate ways. My friend went home with bruises and slightly swolen temple.
    He was found DEAD in his recliner the next day from a brain bleed...Fights are NO T TO BE TAKEN LIGHTLY!!!! He is missed dearly. Fists can kill!

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Heart of Dixie
    Posts
    1,225
    Physical altercations between two adult males can be, and on several occasions have been deadly. We are no longer talking about "back yard" and "school yard" brawls where you come away with a black eye or a fat lip. We are talking broken bones, stitches, expensive dental reconstruction or worse!! Cool heads always prevail... avoid agressive drivers. Let them go their way... Chances are if they are driving like a mad man, they probably are! When carrying a firearm, it is your responsibility to be the better person and avoid confrontations.

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by titaniumman View Post
    A physical altercation is no joke... a couple years ago a friend of mine was in a fight..."fists only", in defense of a friend. The fight was broken up and everybody went their seperate ways. My friend went home with bruises and slightly swolen temple.
    He was found DEAD in his recliner the next day from a brain bleed...Fights are NO T TO BE TAKEN LIGHTLY!!!! He is missed dearly. Fists can kill!
    Sorry for your loss man, seriously.

    No doubt that one should seek medical attention after taking serious blows to the head, the temple is a very bad spot to take a shot on.

  10. #29
    I'll repeat it again. Those of you that think this is a "coward or man" thing are immature worms. We don't know all the facts. But we know these:
    1. They were after his wife - and mad enough that they were coming back.
    2. One man had exited the truck and was approaching on foot. This man could be armed. Does he have a knife or a gun behind his back?
    3. There is another man in the truck who may or may not be armed. Will he let the two of you settle it like men? Or will he draw down on you? Or worse yet, go right by the two of you and kill your wife?
    4. Even if they're not armed will they be satisfied with just knocking you down and making you say "uncle"? Or might they beat you to death? And then who's there to protect your wife when they are done with you?
    5. You are armed. How do you propose to have a "gentlemanly", man-to-man fight and not have your own gun used against you?
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

  11. #30
    Let me say this. When your life or the life of a loved one is on the line there is no such thing as a fair fight. This is not a boxing match. We are not bound by Marquess of Queensberry Rules. If you are in fear for your life the object is to win. I do not start fights, I do not usually go to places where one is likely to end up in a fight. i.e. bars etc. I try as much as I can to live by the Bible verse "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". If however I find myself in a situation where I will need to protect myself or my loved ones then I will fight to win with what ever means it takes. I will not be concerned with what others think. I will not worry if my actions appear cowardly to someone else. I will do what every it takes to come away from the encounter alive and in one piece. If that day ever comes I will fight remembering what Massad Ayoob said in one of his books "The object is not to take them with you but rather to send them on ahead".
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Why I Carry a Gun
    By HK4U in forum Politics and News
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-02-2010, 06:41 AM
  2. You Might be a Gun Nut / humor
    By OldOwl in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-08-2009, 07:19 PM
  3. Gun Rights Fit in With Liberal Ideals
    By gdcleanfun in forum Politics and News
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-24-2009, 12:54 AM
  4. Chicago At It Again!!!
    By rabywk in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-12-2007, 04:35 PM
  5. Armed citizen stories
    By ishi in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-06-2007, 12:17 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast