Man fired gun into air in road rage incident, police say - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Man fired gun into air in road rage incident, police say

1. Not exaclty. In this particular case, Howard escalated the situation. But in all the courses I've taken "serious bodily injury" means just that. If a 350 Lbs shwarzenegger looking muscled up guy is advancing towards a 150 lbs. bean-pole making threats, it is not unreasonable to expect "serious bodily injury". If I run into some kung-fu asian doing all the chops and kicks and hee-yahs while coming at me in a hostile manner (I know nothing about martial arts), then it is gonna be "serious bodily injury" on my part if I don't cap the guy.
    In all my self defense and bodyguard licensing classes, cases were cited where those using martial arts and having credentials in the arts have been prosecuted for using deadly force against someone who didn't know how to fight. The juries have felt in those cases that if you are a blackbelt whatever, you are obviously more dangerous and capable than some smuck who has no kind of fight training.

Not supporting what the idiot did, but he MAY HAVE ( I haven't seen the participants and dont know their skills) been justified in drawing his weapon, even if none of the attackers had a "rock, knife or stick" but certainly not shooting in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony_I_Am View Post
    Not exaclty. In this particular case, Howard escalated the situation. But in all the courses I've taken "serious bodily injury" means just that. If a 350 Lbs shwarzenegger looking muscled up guy is advancing towards a 150 lbs. bean-pole making threats, it is not unreasonable to expect "serious bodily injury". If I run into some kung-fu asian doing all the chops and kicks and hee-yahs while coming at me in a hostile manner (I know nothing about martial arts), then it is gonna be "serious bodily injury" on my part if I don't cap the guy.
    In all my self defense and bodyguard licensing classes, cases were cited where those using martial arts and having credentials in the arts have been prosecuted for using deadly force against someone who didn't know how to fight. The juries have felt in those cases that if you are a blackbelt whatever, you are obviously more dangerous and capable than some smuck who has no kind of fight training.

Not supporting what the idiot did, but he MAY HAVE ( I haven't seen the participants and dont know their skills) been justified in drawing his weapon, even if none of the attackers had a "rock, knife or stick" but certainly not shooting in the air.

It would be no consolation to me if he went to prison because he was a martial arts expert but I was dead. And yes, shooting in the air was moronic. I just don't see in the article where they identified who instigated this whole thing. Let me know how it plays out in court.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

I'm with Avid on this one, no where in the articale does it say who started the whole RR incident. For all we know he drove by and say the guys harrassing his wife while she was driving home. A much shorter version of this happened to my wife about 13 years ago. I drove up on some guy who was about 2 feet behind my wife being an ass. When I put my truck bumper about 1 inch from his door he got the point and left. I don't know what would have happened if he felt like continuing but at that time I didn't care about his safety only my wifes and 3 year old sons. Until the reason for this comes out we don't know if him drawing his weapon was justified. The shot in the air was stupid. Another thing he did that was stupid was leading the guys to his home.

5. Quote Originally Posted by dvnfly View Post
    The shot in the air was stupid. Another thing he did that was stupid was leading the guys to his home.
    Exactly !! The guys knew where his home that could be later the guys will break in the house and steal their guns.
    NRA Life Member

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234