Navajo Nation gun laws?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Navajo Nation gun laws?

1. Navajo Nation gun laws?

I just returned from a 250 course at Gunsite. Since I was traveling there from the North, I went through the Navajo and a corner of the Hopi Nations. Does anyone know what the rules are regarding concealed carry or handguns in general there? Is there a difference in rules when traveling on a major highway than when off highway? Actually, if the rules are too long to post here, could someone point me to a place that I could pursue them for myself please? Thanks, I appreciate any help. I made it home safely with no issues, but was a little nervous while traveling through those areas since they are indeed a "soverign nation".

As long as you stay on the Interstate or state highways that traverse the lands should not be a problem, exiting other than a fuel stop and physically entering nation land is a no no.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    As long as you stay on the Interstate or state highways that traverse the lands should not be a problem, exiting other than a fuel stop and physically entering nation land is a no no.
    I am not sure your reply is correct I understand they still have jurisdiction over all highways and roads that cross their Nation. I understand even if you have CCW and your firearm is loaded if stopped for some reason and they ask if you have a loaded firearm they will take it from you. This has happened in many States on Tribal land.
    Trust me really know their laws when passing through tribal land.

I was trying to keep answer short and sweet, I assumed he would have read the Mc Clure- Volkmer act and would secure the unloaded weapon in a locked box and checked with the individual nations he would be traveling through.

Concealed is concealed. end of story

7. Quote Originally Posted by lostone1413 View Post
    Concealed is concealed. end of story
    While I agree with your statement, it becomes a moot point if and when you are "pulled over" by NN police and might be asked if you are carrying. Denying you are carrying COULD become disastrous, just as it would when asked by LEO while NOT on the reservation.

As to the OP, (this is based upon information given me by a NN Executive Branch employee) generally speaking, it is not a problem but technically, it is illegal unless you have special (and I might add, written) permission from the proper authorities of the Navajo Nation. While the NN generally cannot arrest and prosecute non-tribal members, they CAN, as stated above, confiscate the weapon and detain you until authorized federal, state or county authorities arrive to arrest you (though this rarely happens unless a "major" law has been broken). You can petition the NN Court for return of the weapon, but it will likely take months and a lot of work/hassle before the return of your weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter474 View Post
    I am not sure your reply is correct I understand they still have jurisdiction over all highways and roads that cross their Nation. I understand even if you have CCW and your firearm is loaded if stopped for some reason and they ask if you have a loaded firearm they will take it from you. This has happened in many States on Tribal land.
    Trust me really know their laws when passing through tribal land.
    The way I have been told by local PD's is, as long as you stay on STATE MAINTAINED highways, you're within your right to carry.

9. Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaNRAsupporter View Post
    The way I have been told by local PD's is, as long as you stay on STATE MAINTAINED highways, you're within your right to carry.
    I have heared this from a couple different pd agencies too

Understand that Navajo Nation police officers work alone in very remote areas where there is no back up. They bury a Navajo PD officer all too often. Couple years back I was pulled over for speeding and the Navajo Nation officer was all business - he kept the open door of his car between us at all times. He did ask if I was carrying any alcohol or firearms. I was not so no clue what he would have done if I had a pistol in the car. I have read that Navajo Nation honors Arizona concealed carry permit cards. Despite being a "sovereign nation" the laws of Arizona still apply. Navajo PD arrests for misdemeanors...felonies go to the FBI. On the Hopi rez its BIA police. I've read that Hopi's are less freindly with concealed carry even with a permit. Now that the Bennett Freeze deal has been settled the Hopi Rez is much bigger and you'll be on it longer if you're crossing it.

11. Conflicting information from officials

I live on the reservation so I was very interested to find an answer to this question. I call Kayenta police and they said it was fine to carry in the Utah part concealed (I have a Utah license) but to open carry in the Arizona part. Then i talked to a Navajo Federal Ranger and she said NO! If you are transporting through the Nation it needs to be locked in the trunk bolt open and bullets stored somewhere else. This seems common on the Nation you get different stories from each person you ask. Long story short. Do it at your own risk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast