CCW Public record!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CCW Public record!!

More trouble

The Arkansas Times Magazine has a download on their blog page that contains an Excel file with 56,000= names of CHL holders state wide with names, addresses and zip codes. This puts every license holder in jeopardy to burglars. Also, women who have moved to get away from stalkers or abusers have their names and addresses there if they also got a Concealed Handgun license.

Here is the link:

Arkansas Blog: Annals of gun nuttery

But, they have now removed the link that was attached to the words "It's a big ole file" and can no longer be accessed. But someone did let the file leak out of the State police system.

wolfhunter Guest
    Send this to your legislators and ask them to enact a similar law for Arkansas:

Florida Statutes 790.0601 Public records exemption for concealed weapons.--

(1) Personal identifying information of an individual who has applied for or received a license to carry a concealed weapon or firearm pursuant to s. 790.06 held by the Division of Licensing of the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is confidential and exempt from s. 119.07(1) and s. 24(a), Art. I of the State Constitution. This exemption applies to such information held by the division before, on, or after the effective date of this section.

(2) Information made confidential and exempt by this section shall be disclosed:

(a) With the express written consent of the applicant or licensee or his or her legally authorized representative.

(b) By court order upon a showing of good cause.

(c) Upon request by a law enforcement agency in connection with the performance of lawful duties, which shall include access to any automated database containing such information maintained by the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

(3) This section is subject to the Open Government Sunset Review Act in accordance with s. 119.15 and shall stand repealed on October 2, 2011, unless reviewed and saved from repeal through reenactment by the Legislature.

Sounds like a good way for someone to go gun grabbing. It would be easy for someone to get this list and then stake out the license holders residence. Determine how many people live there and then establish a pattern for them. Break in while they are at work and steal guns (you know that there are some there).

There are other possible scenarios but this is what came to mind.
    -Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    The problem that exists is the fact that there are a lot of x-wives, girlfriends and stalking victims who have gotten the training and the license. Up to that point the man in question does not know where they live and has not been a problem. Now a list of names shows up in the news paper and BINGO(!) he knows where to find her. She only got the training and license to use as a last resort and now it becomes almost a sure thing.

Other cases may include Hoplophobes who hate guns and might be your neighbor, coworker or employer who might try to cause you some grief because of your desire to be able to defend your self should you ever have to.

NO, what they don't know won't hurt them or you for that matter.

Those are GREAT points!

That needs to be brought to attention.
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

6. Thumbs up

I originally posted this in another topic, but I think it fits in with this one too.

Unfortunately, the person who posted that link originally in the AR Times either did not care who he hurt or caused trouble for. This has been mentioned on his blog and he just ignores it, but what about the abused spouse who got a CW permit to defend herself (and her kids?). Before this they were somewhat safer because the ex didn't know where to find them. Now they have to keep looking over their shoulder. Just because of the thoughtless act of one anti-gun person.

Or to give another example: My brother had a permit. He was in a wheelchair and lived with my mom. Mom always felt a bit better (we don't live in the best neighborhood) knowing he had a gun if some druggie or other type of criminal element showed up and got stupid.

My brother passed away on the 11th of last month. My mother is now concerned that with the posting of his (and her) address, that she may now be the target of someone who sees an "easy target". "After all, if he had a permit, then there must be guns in the house that we can steal, right?"

This on top of just losing one of her sons the same month the list was published. She is now frantically trying to sell off all his guns. Although she has kept a couple of them because she now feels that she may need them.

There is now a bill (House Bill 1623) before the House to make this information not so readily accessible to just anyone. From what I have heard on the news, it did pass the House.
    Last edited by Bohica1998; 03-08-2009 at 05:27 PM. Reason: typos
    "The only thing necessary for the Triumph of Evil. is for Good Men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

7. [b]update[/b]

On the House floor Friday, members approved HB 1623 by Rep. Randy Stewart, D-Kirby. The bill would make the names and other information of holders of permits to carry concealed handguns exempt from the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.

Stewart said he filed the bill after a weekly newspaper made a list of the state’s permit holders available to readers.

“You apply for this … permit with a reasonable expectation of privacy. That’s why it’s called a concealed handgun,” Stewart said. The bill passed 98-1.

Source: Arkansasnews
    "The only thing necessary for the Triumph of Evil. is for Good Men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12