NON resident carry in Vermont= OK - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NON resident carry in Vermont= OK

I know "Fallguy on usacarry said it was OK" is not a legal defense. I just thought it was common knowledge that VT didn't issue or require permits for carry.

My appolgies if I seemed out of line....it seems I have come off like that a lot lately...
    “Because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away”

Posting in …….
    OpenCarry.org
    USA Carry
    Glock Talk
    Tennessee Gun Owners
    also check
    Handgunlaw.us
    Tennessee Laws at: Michie’s Legal Resources

Ilse Vergi is the Secretary of the Gun Owners of Vermont ("G.O. Vt.")

She may be employed by the Attorney General of the State of Vermont, but it is highly unusual for a state official to reply to a question without stating their position in the particular government office and to answer with a personal email specifying their association with a private organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy View Post
    I know "Fallguy on usacarry said it was OK" is not a legal defense. I just thought it was common knowledge that VT didn't issue or require permits for carry.

My appolgies if I seemed out of line....it seems I have come off like that a lot lately...
    No problem. I was searching for an "official answer".
    I guess I will write again asking for the respondent's official title.

Watch for future posting.

Just sent another email requesting clarification.
    Will post their reply.

Correspondence:

What I sent:
    On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 10:21 AM, xxx wrote:
    TO: [email protected]

Thank you for your prompt response to my 2 emails.

The question is about your response email address and your signing your email as : G.O.VT.

Most official state agencies sign their emails with the person's name, title, and department.
    Yours seem to be slightly ambiguous and non-official looking, leaving me to wonder exactly who you are.

No offense intended.
    Thank you for your time.
    Latest response:

Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 18:50:35 -0400
    Subject: Re: Non Resident Visitors' Handgun Carry Requirements?

We are not a state agency. I am the secretary for Gun Owners of Vermont and therefore have the liberty of signing either way I choose.We are a volunteer political group. If you're looking for something "official" contact the Vermont state police dept.We are exactly who we said we are -Gun Owners of Vermont.I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for. Ilse
    My email to her:

To: [email protected]
    Subject: RE: Non Resident Visitors' Handgun Carry Requirements?
    Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 11:44:36 -0500

Thank you for your kind reply.

What I am looking for is an official response to my initial question. i.e. A response that I could print and carry on my person and in my vehicle when traveling in Vermont.

IF there were ever a question about my gun, I would like to have something "official" from the State.
    Telling someone that "someone non-official said so" is not a legal defense in most jurisdictions.
    I have already played the "tell it to the judge" game, costing me $2,000 to be judged "not-guilty, case dismissed".

Please allow me to clarify what I have learned:

My initial email was sent to the Vermont Att. General's Office using the email address gained on their official website:
    The Office of the Attorney General of Vermont | Contacting Us

In view of the facts that:

YOU receive and respond to emails directed to the Attorney General's Office,
    have the "liberty of signing either way",
    but cannot give anything "official",
    therefore you recommend my contacting the Vermont State Police.........

Obviously I must do so,
    but I am left feeling somewhat confused as to this situation.

Thank you for your time and patience.
    I do appreciate your assistance.

My comment to the board:

WHAT CAN I SAY??????????????

I'm curious as to how she got a hold of your email to the attorney general. I'd have to assume she works in the AG's office. But then she replies as an officer from a political organization? Something fishy about her response.

This is a response to the last email at the bottom of post # 15

Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 21:30:50 -0400
    To:

Good luck with your quest.It really shouldn't be so confusing for you.If you call the state house they may help you.too.Gun Owners of Vermont

My comment to the board:
    "Stranger than science"

So this situation should not be so confusing to me? and "good luck" ?
    Still no explanation as to why/how she gets the Attorney General's emails about gun questions.

If they are directly fielding gun questions for the VT AT GEN office, why doesn't she just say that.

I will be moving on to the Vermont State Police tomorrow.
    No reason to stop in the middle of this. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    I will be moving on to the Vermont State Police tomorrow.
    No reason to stop in the middle of this. ;-)
    Or call the VT AG's office to ask the same question...then bring up her name...see what they say...

10. For anyone reading this, I think it's pretty obvious what happened and I'm surprised nobody has chimed in. It looks to me like the original poster probably sent out a slew of emails to various organizations, including the attorney generals office, using the same or similar subject line. For some reason, when he received a response from Ilse Vergi he thought it was a response from the AG, but it wasn't.

11. Upon closer inspection, I'm now 100% sure that's what happened. Look at the subject lines.

SENT:
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Visitors' Handgun Carry Requirements?
    Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 13:31:34 -0500

REPLY:
    Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 19:58:14 -0400
    To:

The response posted is NOT a direct reply to the original sent email he posted.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast