Senator Mark Pryon responded

Thread: Senator Mark Pryon responded

Senator Mark Pryon responded

I realize sadly that it's a generic response he (or an aid) throws out to emails like the one I sent him but if one judged his stance that he'd have our 2nd Amendments Rights at heart. I'm leery of the mental health or universal background but just seeing he's opposed to taking out guns away...

April 3, 2013

Dear Mr. Ramsey,

Thank you for contacting me regarding gun legislation. I appreciate hearing from you.

I am a strong supporter of Second Amendment Rights. In light of this, I will not support a proposed assault weapons ban that would place onerous and constitutionally questionable restrictions on law-abiding citizens. With that said, I also believe we must work harder to help prevent gun violence in the future.

On March 6, 2013, I joined Senator Lindsey Graham and other bipartisan cosponsors to introduce S. 480, the NICS Reporting Improvement Act of 2013. Under current law certain mental incompetency adjudications are not required to be reported to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), which is the clearinghouse for all new gun purchases. This legislation would clarify circumstances under which a person should lose the right to receive or possess a firearm based on mental illness. For example, common sense dictates that no person who pleads "Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity" should also be able to pass a background check required to legally purchase a firearm. S. 480 corrects this situation and makes a number of similar improvements related to background checks and mental stability. You may view this legislation in its entirety you at THOMAS (Library of Congress).

I know the assault weapons ban and S. 480 are two of many proposals being considered by Congress meant to address the problem of gun violence. Please know, I understand your views about this issue and have taken note of your comments. Though I am not a member of the Senate Committee on the Judiciary, should any of these proposals come before the Senate, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I value your input. Please do not hesitate to contact me or my office regarding this or any other matter of concern to you.

Sincerely,

Mark Pryor
    United States Senate
    Glock 29sf / XD-40 SubCompact
    Useful links ---> Ammo/Mag finder & Firearm Manuals & Auto Repair Material & Android Pro/Anti Carry & Android CCW

He actually used a lot of words to say absolutely nothing.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by jameshd View Post
    He actually used a lot of words to say absolutely nothing.
    Eventually I'm going to get an email that isn't generic and gives me direct answers.... or I'll get a visit from a federal authority asking me in not so polite of a way to stop emailing so much.... or they'll just block me....
    Glock 29sf / XD-40 SubCompact
    Useful links ---> Ammo/Mag finder & Firearm Manuals & Auto Repair Material & Android Pro/Anti Carry & Android CCW

At the very least you got his stance on a new AWB. As has been said, this is generally typical of what you can expect to get in response to very pointed emails asking for a response and a position on specific legislation up for discussion. I get very similar responses from my Senators in PA.

I got one myself the other day. It's a very simplistic way of explaining UBC. His explanation leaves out all the "stuff" that if pressed by the fed's could get you some hard time. It's like "they" say 'the Devil is in the details'!
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

7. I've gotten nearly identical replies from Joe Courtney, Richard Blumenthal, and Chris Murphy. But a voting record on gun issues isn't hard to find. Murphy's new, but I can tell you the other two lie any time they say they support the Second Amendment. Their records don't hold water on that account.

Just got a response from Senator Boozman;

Dear Mr. gejoslin,

Thank you for contacting me with your strong support for Second Amendment rights. It is good to hear from you.

Like you, I am a proud supporter of the Second Amendment right to bear arms. I certainly understand and share your concerns over the creation of new gun control laws or the renewal of an assault weapons ban in response to recent gun violence. Today, there is plenty of evidence, both in our country and elsewhere, that simply disarming law abiding citizens does not help reduce violent crime. As you know, Senator Mike Lee (R-UT) introduced Amendment 673 to the Senate Budget resolution, S.Con.Res.8. This amendment re-affirmed the importance of the Second Amendment and that additional consideration should be given before passing legislation that infringes on this fundamental constitutional right. I was supportive of the Lee Amendment; however, unfortunatelyit did not pass on March 23, 2013. Please be assured that I will continue to monitor any gun legislation closely and should any bills come to the floor of the U.S. Senate for a vote, I will keep your thoughts and concerns in mind. As long as I am your representative in the U.S. Senate, I will continue to work hard to protect Second Amendment rights for the people of Arkansas. I don't think additional gun laws are the solution to our problems with gun violence.

Again, thank you for contacting me on this very important issue. Please be sure to sign up for our e-newsletterto stay informed on what we're doing on behalf of Arkansans. I look forward to your continued correspondence.

Sincerely,
    John Boozman
    U.S. Senator

His voting record is excellent on conservative issues and 2A. So far he's earning my respect and vote.
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

I consistently receive the generic responses from Sen. Pryor. On the other hand, I am supportive of Sen. Boozman. I voted for him in the hopes he would be the conservative he ran as and he hasn't disappointed me yet. Sen. Pryor has learned too well how to try to pacify the masses while committing to nothing.

10. that is typical of all in politics .

11. Mark Pryor is on his way out. He's as good as gone, if sources are correct.

I have nothing but respect for John Boozman.
    I'm a firm believer in two term limits for all politicians; one in office, the other in prison.