Buying a firearm online - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying a firearm online

1. It's called a use tax. Every state that has a sales tax also has an equivalent use tax.

http://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/offices/.../Pages/Co.aspx

http://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/offices/...uments/cu1.pdf

Washington began requiring FFLs to collect the use tax at the time of the firearms transfer because that was one of the very few ways that the state could actually enforce the use tax law.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

3. Thanks navy. My ffl seems to know nothing about this. Is it new?

4. Quote Originally Posted by caubry89 View Post
    Thanks navy. My ffl seems to know nothing about this. Is it new?
    It is nothing new. The use tax was enacted at the same time with the sales tax.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Buying a firearm online

The only thing you pay tax on in Arkansas is tax on the transfer fee, and some FFL's don't even take that.

I have purchased several guns on-line and have not been required to pay tax. I beleive it is the decision of the seller/web site to charge sales tax, but most don't. I would suggest checking your local guns shops for their AR pricing. Currently I see large inventories in almost all the shops I have gone into both here in FL and in other states (I travel quite a good amount and check out the local shops whenever possible for good deals). You may find your home town shops will deal with you and appreciate keeping the purchase in the local community. Plus you don't pay shipping or a transfer fee which can add up to a considerable amount.

7. Quote Originally Posted by arkie45 View Post
    The only thing you pay tax on in Arkansas is tax on the transfer fee, and some FFL's don't even take that.
    That might be all the you actually pay, but the use tax is still due.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12