Buying a firearm online
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a firearm online

1. Buying a firearm online

I'm considering buying an Ar15 online and was told buy a local gun shop that when it is transferred to me that I would have to pay Arkansas sales tax. I have never heard this before. Can anyone verify this?

Yes you pay local tax just like anything else you buy in state it shipped in state.
    If it doesn't fit, FORCE it! If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway.

4. If I decide to build instead will all parts be taxed or just the lower receiver when it is transfered?

5. They just started doing that in Nevada last January....

I've never paid sales tax on the firearm (hell, one of the perks of buying online). I've only paid tax on the actual transfer fee.

7. BUmedic that was my thought also. Did you buy in Arkansas? If so how long ago? Could it have recently changed?

Buying a firearm online

Sorry... didn't see that this was in the Arkansas forum. Just responded to a twitter notification. I'm in WI. Sorry, gents. Cheers.
    'I God, Woodrow, it's been quite a party, ain't it?

9. No problem. I just called another gun shop and they told me that there is no sales tax just the transfer fee.

Technically, you are supposed to send in the tax on any item you buy online to your state.

Recently some states are mandating that companies selling items only collect the sales tax for their individual state.

If you purchase a firearm online from state X and have it shipped to state Y, if state X doesn't tax you at the time of the sale I'd be shocked if the FFL you had it sent to in state Y would collect the tax on the purchase.

Is this a new Arkansas law?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

11. I've never heard anything about being a new or old law.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast