2 Dead In Shooting At University Of Central Arkansas
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Dead In Shooting At University Of Central Arkansas

2 Dead In Shooting At University Of Central Arkansas

CONWAY, Ark. – A shooting in the heart of the University of Central Arkansas' campus killed two students and wounded a third person, authorities said early Monday.

UCA police spokeswoman Lt. Rhonda Swindle said the first report of shots fired came at 9:19 p.m. An officer heard the shooting, which occurred near a male dormitory and behind the campus police station, and arrived on the scene in less than a minute, she said.

Witnesses described hearing as many as five gunshots ring out. One man fell to the sidewalk along the narrow alley between the dormitory and a fine arts center and died. Swindle said the two others rushed into the dorm, where paramedics later found them.

One man died at a local hospital, while another who wasn't a student was treated and released, Swindle said.

Swindle had no immediate explanation for the shooting, though she said police questioned one "person of interest" into the early morning hours. She said detectives believed four people were involved in the attack, though no arrest or search warrants had been issued in the case.

"We have really good leads we're following up on right now and we feel the campus is safe," Swindle said.

Swindle declined to identify the victims of the shooting, saying officers continued to try and reach their families. The lieutenant said their bodies would be sent to the state Crime Laboratory in Little Rock for autopsies.

Interim UCA President Tom Courtway canceled classes Monday at the university, which serves 12,500 students. He stressed that every precaution was being taken to ensure the safety of the students who remained in their dormitory rooms.

"It doesn't matter where this happens in the country — it's awful," Courtway said.

Police used crime scene tape to keep people out of a large area around where the shootings occurred, including a nearby intersection. Pools of blood still stained the cold cement sidewalk early Monday morning. Firefighters' foam sprayed over the alleyway to clean away traces of the attack congealed with the blood, turning to an orange froth.

Student Aprille Hanson, 20, of Mountain Home said the shooting was "definitely an eye-opener" in the quiet city of Conway, about 26 miles north of Little Rock.

"This campus is very safe. I've never felt afraid on this campus," Hanson said. "Everyone's going to be a little more tense."

However, the campus remained under guard Monday morning, with police cruisers circling its quiet streets and officers roaming the grounds in flak jackets and blue jeans.

"The UCA campus itself is not locked down, although officers are posted at every campus entrance, and access to campus is limited to residents and authorized personnel," UCA spokesman Warwick Sabin said in an e-mail early Monday.

Faculty and students received phone calls and e-mails through an automated system at 9:38 p.m. warning them of the shooting and encouraging them to stay inside behind locked doors. Sabin said it was the first incident to prompt use of the university's new emergency e-mail and phone call system, purchased last year after the Virginia Tech massacre.

Swindle said video captured by surveillance cameras also installed at the campus after the massacre would be examined.

Sunday's shooting is the second at an Arkansas college this year. On Feb. 27, a man was shot and wounded at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock. Two suspects were eventually charged. The victim, James Earl Matthews, was hospitalized and had surgery before being released.

Courtway said he thought police officers and the university's emergency alert system performed well in the minutes after the shooting. However, he promised to conduct a thorough examination of shooting to ensure students' safety in the future.

"This is just an awful tragedy. It's the worst thing that can happen on a college campus," Courtway said. "We have start looking at everything."

Shooting at Ark. university kills 2, wounds 1 - Yahoo! News

Last edited by lukem; 11-16-2008 at 11:54 AM.

"We have really good leads we're following up on right now and we feel the campus is safe," Swindle said.
    Soothing words for the Sheeple.

"This campus is very safe. I've never felt afraid on this campus," Hanson said. "Everyone's going to be a little more tense."
    Who is she trying to kid? Second shooting in less than a year. When are they going to lean that the only person that can protect you is yourself...
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Angry Campus is safe????

They felt the campus was safe just before the shooting! Why do they think it is safe NOW???

Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
    The Second Amendment is NOT about hunting!

Nothing like a gun free zone to make you fell safe.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

OMG! Not again! Those poor students! Too bad they weren't all carrying! Too bad we all aren't!

7. And what are the pros going to do with it? Hopefully something that will lead to protection for students. . . like concealed carry on campus.

"We have to start looking at everything." -- something like that. . . How about another look at self-defense?
    How many more will have to die before we let them fight back?
    I say. . let the students take their campus back!

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    The antis are going to have a field day with this one.

Shooting at Ark. university kills 2, wounds 1 - Yahoo! News

<removed section>

"We have start looking at everything."

Quote Originally Posted by BoomChick View Post
    And what are the pros going to do with it? Hopefully something that will lead to protection for students. . . like concealed carry on campus.

"We have to start looking at everything." -- something like that. . . How about another look at self-defense?
    How many more will have to die before we let them fight back?
    I say. . let the students take their campus back!
    I agree. Making universities into gun free zones is an invitation to disaster. Students in gun free zones are unarmed sitting ducks for madmen to kill with impunity. When will the powers that be see that?

Quote Originally Posted by OM44 View Post
    They felt the campus was safe just before the shooting! Why do they think it is safe NOW???

Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
    my thoughts exactly.. like they really have any clue how safe it is. give me a break. look what happened...
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

wolfhunter Guest
    To the BG, "Gun Free Zone" = "Target Rich Environment"

Attention sheeple...

1) I want to Feel Safe
    2) I want to Be Safe

Choose one of the above!
    The Eggman, DmAt, MSI
    GSSF, GOA, NRA, VCDL, VSSF, AFIO
    www.the-eggman.com
    "If you can't be free, at least be irritating."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast