Open Fire Cooking?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Fire Cooking?

The frozen tundra!! Also known as Minnesota

Open Fire Cooking?

I was just wondering how many people cook over an open fire, and what some of your favorite recipes are? Everyone uses a grill these days, and anyone can cook a hotdog over a fire; but not many people have actually cooked over a fire pit. Does anyone have any simple fish recipes they’d like to share?

I used to cook trout in tin foil (cooked whole minus guts) with butter and garlic salt, but I don’t have trout around where I live at the moment. What I do have is an abundance of Northern Pike, Walleyes, Sunnies, Crappies, Bass, and Perch.
    MN Permit to Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, PPITH
    NRA Life Member, 3 x Iraq War Vet

I have done rabbits the same way with the tin foil,butter, garlic(or onion) salt. Yum

Baked potatoes, the side for all ocations. Rinse them. Paint them with a little olive oil. Spinkle with some Kosher salt. Wrap them in foil and set in with the coals.

They go great with any entre.

Quote Originally Posted by buckslayer View Post
    I was just wondering how many people cook over an open fire, and what some of your favorite recipes are? Everyone uses a grill these days, and anyone can cook a hotdog over a fire; but not many people have actually cooked over a fire pit. Does anyone have any simple fish recipes they’d like to share?

I used to cook trout in tin foil (cooked whole minus guts) with butter and garlic salt, but I don’t have trout around where I live at the moment. What I do have is an abundance of Northern Pike, Walleyes, Sunnies, Crappies, Bass, and Perch.
    Your recipe for trout will work excellent for any fish and virtually any meat as well. With foil, you can cook direct (inside the coals-not inside the flames) to get a nice brown skin.

I don't have a specific recipe, but would like to make a point about open fire cooking. If you don't have your food wrapped in foil, never cook it in the flames. The flames will add nasty tasting soot and ruin your meal. I lived outside for several months as a teen and cooked thousands of meals over a fire. Always use the coals.

We made hobo stew at camp and man was it outstanding. Take meat,potatoes,carrots,onions wrap it all in aluminum foil and put in in the coals to cook.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

I don't have a fish receipy but if you like onion soup you gotta try this . Take a Vadallia onion cut the top off and cut the bottom just above the little roots and skin . Take a potato peeler and hog out the middle, leave a little from the bottom . Take a chicken bullion cube cut in half , put butter in the core and put the pcs. of cub in the core . Butter to the top and place the onion in the middle of a pcs, of alu. foil and fold up around the onion (bottom side down) twist the top of the foil and place on the fire 45 minutes TO DYE FOR !!!!!!

Found this on the internet. We used to use a similar recipe when we went to Canada fishing. Also works on fresh Pike. Yummy!

Lemon Garlic Walleye
    thanks to Craig Kirk

Recipe Ingredients:

4-6 Fresh Fish Filets Walleye or Smallie (usually will feed 4)
    4-6 Cloves Garlic sliced (I like garlic so I'll use 6-8)
    1 Whole lemon quartered
    A double handful of Cilantro
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Cooking instructions:
    Lay out the filets in aluminum foil. Salt and pepper each side. Slice the garlic cloves and sprinkle on the fish. Next shred the cilantro and spread over fish. Now squeeze the lemon quarters over fish and drop the rind in with the fish. Seal the foil and bake over hot coals on the fire grate for 20-30 minutes.

Variations/Hints:
    This is a very easy recipe to do on the first or second night. The ingredients are simple and easy to use. The garlic only needs to be roughly sliced and cilantro can be added with stems intact because most people will not eat the cilantro anyway. Serve with wild rice and toss a couple of baking potatoes in your pack and cook them in the fire coals wrapped in foil.

Comments:
    This is a good first or second night supper.

"A free people should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from anyone, including their own government. ~ G. Washington

Open fire cooking is great, especially with others that do the same. Just takes a little innovation and it's something you can't rush. Start the fire early in the am so there are plenty of coals...hubby loves to play in the fire! With some iron skillets, old pots - soap the bottoms with a hard bar of bath soap to not char the bottom; a old oven rack, few bog rocks...you get the picture. We could cook just about anything and it's a great enjoyable time.

-take a bag of frozen mussles, add to iron skillet with some white wine and olive oil or butter, salt and pepper ----wonderful appetizer, diced chicken breasts are good for those that do not care for mussels.

10. My outdoor cooking setup:

Firepit with grill and tripod to hold a Lodge Camp Dutch Oven; everything was made by me (except the CDO).

I also have a smoker, not pictured here. I don't eat fish (much) and have never cooked it, so I can't help with the fish recipes. I like beef ribs, briskets, steaks and the usual hamburgers and hot dogs. Now that it's warmer, we'll be cooking a lot outdoors, it will help keep the house cooler.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    Now that it's warmer, we'll be cooking a lot outdoors, it will help keep the house cooler.

Good luck.
    Save money on your utility bills, so you can buy more guns and ammo. That's good sound logic, I like it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast