10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Charcoal

7 70.00%
  • Gas

3 30.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas or Charcoal?

Charcoal, want to buy a half and half grill though.

I use charcoal for my "grilling".
    But, when I decide to smoke some ribs, butt or brisket I use hardwood.

I do both. A high quality gas grill does a good job on steaks, hamburgs and hotdogs. Charcoal is my preference for chicken, pork, briskets and all ribs. But I am not a purist and sometimes take shortcuts with gas. At my house, though, smoking requires charcoal to toast the wet wood that creates smoke. I like hickory, but Texicans seem to like mesquite.
    Jim Page

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

None of the above. Mesquite, apple, cherry, hickory or maple, depending on the meat and the seasonings. I've been known to cook with oak while camping, but don't prefer it. On very very rare occasion I'll throw a bit of charcoal on with some mesquite, but usually only if I'm about to run out of wood.

Yeah, using wood it makes it harder to keep a steady temp for ribs for the 5-10 hours they're on there, but it's so very worth it.
    Owner of Applied Perspective, specializing in laser engraving and fine art photography
    -or-
    Just some guy who loves to shoot

I like both...you have more constant temp with gas...but charcoal gives a great flavor...

I use either one depending on what I am cooking! I am thinking about getting a "Big Green Egg" Anyone have experience with one?
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

Gas is nasty charcoal
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Well, at the risk of this thread being trolled, by Bloombergs lackeys.
    I use gas in my Propane Grill, Charcoal in my Weber Kettle, and Hickory Wood in my New Brumfields Smoker. Wet soaked Hickory Chips in all of them as needed.
    Charcoal doesn't work to well in my Propane Grill, LP doesn't work so good in my Weber or Smoker.

Quote Originally Posted by golocx4 View Post
    Well, at the risk of this thread being trolled, by Bloombergs lackeys.
    I use gas in my Propane Grill, Charcoal in my Weber Kettle, and Hickory Wood in my New Brumfields Smoker. Wet soaked Hickory Chips in all of them as needed.
    Charcoal doesn't work to well in my Propane Grill, LP doesn't work so good in my Weber or Smoker.
    As long as you don't have a 17 ounce soda Bloomie shouldn't care
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    As long as you don't have a 17 ounce soda Bloomie shouldn't care
    I wonder how long it will be before some do good-er will try and ban Charcoal fires or outdoor cooking or meat, or make you store your Propane in a blast proof bunker or some other such nonsense.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast