Non-traditional Thanksgiving - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Non-traditional Thanksgiving

The Kamado looks like a great smoker. I have done several turkeys on my Weber, and they have always come out great. Usually took between 6 and 7 hours, added about 6 lumps of charcoal, the real stuff, every hour or so.

we did this last year Whole Turkey - Salted - The Virtual Weber Bullet
    Iused 3 chunks of apple and used a spray bottle with apple juice to mist it when I was checking temps.
    rmw66- "gun free zones = criminal empowerment zones "

Deep-fried a turkey last year, smoked on the year before. Both turned out very well. Not much of a family gathering this year. Family is scattered to the four winds now. Think the wife and I are going to enjoy some nice thick, bacon wrapped filet mignon this year or maybe a smoked Boston Butt. Not sure yet. Not big on the pumpkin pie so that'll be substituted with strawberry cheesecake. And of course the all time Thanksgiving great, the sweet potato will be on the plate along with some fresh broiled vegetables.
    To not stand against injustice is to stand for it.
    Don't confuse my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

As long as I have my brown and serve rolls then I'm happy!

Family usually does the traditional thing but also include ham and another entree for those that don't like turkey.

I want to try the deep fried bird ;)
    If it doesn't fit, FORCE it! If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway.

what kinda setups are you guys using to deep fry the birds I am thinking about trying it this year.
    rmw66- "gun free zones = criminal empowerment zones "

Quote Originally Posted by no sheep View Post
    what kinda setups are you guys using to deep fry the birds I am thinking about trying it this year.
    A rig like this on a single, high BTU gas burner fed by a 25lb tank. Outdoors of course.

Bayou Classic 30-Qt. Turkey Fryer Pot Kit - 194543, Utensils Cookware at Sportsman's Guide
    Camp Chef Maximum Output Single Cooker - 500024, Stoves at Sportsman's Guide

The biggest mistakes first timers make are:

not placing the bird in the pot then filling it with water to determine how much oil to bring to a boil. Doing this prevents the over flow of oil that usually ends up "burning down grandmas garage" as the comercial goes.

Using a still partially or fully frozen bird or a wet bird. Can you say "encapsulated steam explosion involving boiling and highly flammable oil"?

Not using a thermometer to monitor the oil temp / not getting the oil up to temp before sinking the bird.

Using the wrong oil.

Blog Entries

Re: Non-traditional Thanksgiving

Quote Originally Posted by no sheep View Post
    If you use an electric fryer, there's no danger of the oil catching fire. Moisture is what causes the issues with propane fryers. A drop of moisture in the boiling oil will send oil everywhere, then the open flame does the rest. If you are gonna use propane get a good thermometer and watch the temp closely. I fry my turkey every year, comes out very tasty.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.

I've been looking at the infrared fryer/roaster. Anone have experience with them?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walt629 View Post
    I've been looking at the infrared fryer/roaster. Anone have experience with them?
    Nope but I'm interested in hearing what people have to say about those too.
    If you get one be sure to update us!
    Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.

11. Mixed results from my test turkey, but I guess that's good as it gives me something to fix. A few notes:
    - Be careful with complicated brines; some flavor in my brine did not play well with the smoke flavor
    - Use a lump charcoal that has very little smoke flavor on its own.
    - Expect turkey to finish quicker, the design of a kamado basically makes it a convection oven and the moving air cooks things pretty fast.

Juiciest turkey I've ever made, but my flavor was off somehow. Going to keep the thanksgiving bird simpler and just go for it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast