Larry H. Miller's Megaplex Theaters - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Larry H. Miller's Megaplex Theaters

I have to, respectfully, disagree with ccwaz.

On the one hand you're right about property owners having and exercising their right to prohibit guns on their property - regardless of HOW misguided.
    On the other hand, I don't think the owner has the right to actually prefer charges. Especially if state law either supersedes of doesn't specify whether, or not, an individual can carry on said posted properties.
    I'm sure, unless the owner is a Bloomberg kool-aid drinker, that they'll actually press charges even if they can.
    If the word got out about it going to court (and if it was me, I'd make sure all the local news stations got an ear full) I'm sure there would be some kind of backlash.
    I'd hope that any REASONABLE owner would simply ask you to leave and not come back... at least not armed.

This brings up a question I've been thinking about for a while.
    If I were to enter a "No Weapons" facility - and I were shot or killed as a result of being unarmed - could I sue them for improper security?
    Better yet, could I sue for their denial to allow me to protect myself?
    I wonder if there are any cases out there like this?
    Does anyone know? Has it ever been tried?
    Or can these places be held liable for that kind of thing?

I know in FL where I lived for 27 years, the law provides that if you carry in places where you're not supposed to, gun free places like schools for instance, and end up shooting someone in legally justified self defense you can not be prosecuted for carrying in that particular area. I wish it were like that here.
    There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, "All right, then, have it your way." - C. S. Lewis

5. If they find out you are carrying, they can ask you to leave. If you dont, then its trespassing. Personally, and keep in mind I am not saying that I do carry in the theaters, I think I would rather take my chances that I will be asked to leave rather than foolishly believe that a "no weapons allowed" sign is going to stop a criminal from bringing a weapon inside with the intent to do evil. As I recall, trolly square had "no weapons allowed" sign's up, but the gunman in that case must have missed them... I feel much less safe in places with "no weapons allowed" signs then I do in places lacking such sign's, as the only people who "may" follow them are already law abiding citizens. Anyone with the intent to "shoot em up" is just going to ignore the sign anyway...

Spooky_t. In Okla we were instructed that if a business did not allow us to carry, they were saying they were responsible for our security and if an incident occured and you were injured, you could sue them holding them liable; problem is if you were killed, someone would have to sue on your behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by FlBro View Post

According to my class instructor who was a law enforcement officer, under the reciprocal agreements with the other states, those other states agree to accept the Oklahoma Self-Defense act as the governing law for Oklahoma citizens with concealed carry permits in their states.
    I would suggest you get a new instructor quick. Just because we have a CCW from one state and travel to a reciprocal state does not mean you follow your home state's rules. It is the state you are in whose laws apply.

I can't agree or disagree; unfortunately we don't have the opportunity to see what the reciprocal agreement states. We have to let common sense dictate our actions and guide us to do the right things if we don't know the differences in the laws of the other state. As for myself, I am trying to read and familiarize myself with the other states laws before crossing state lines.

9. There are no states that allow you to just follow the laws of your home state... Its your responsibility to familiarize yourself with the laws of other states if you want to carry there. Ignorance of the law is NOT an excuse for breaking it, and in fact most states have laws on the books stating such.

Signs posted on private property stand in most states

"Don't ask/don't tell" usually doesn't work when signs are posted on private property. A property owner or 'agent-in-fact' (manager or supervisor) on any property has the right to ask you to leave at any time in most states. Anytime you are asked to leave and you don't leave, you are trespassing in most states. This is whether you have a gun or bad breath. It doesn't matter why they ask you to leave- just leave.
    In most places where signs are posted, that is the same thing as an agent-in-fact asking you to leave unless you obey their rules. They own/manage the property and they are in charge whether you agree with the rules or not.

My advice would be to obey the rules and take your business elsewhere. However, on a few occasions, I have approached the manager and asked whether the rules apply to CCW holders. Some tell me to disregard the sign, others tell me that, no, the rule applies to me, too. I have a choice- leave my gun at home and give them my business or to conduct my business elsewhere.
    Someone earlier asked if they were injured or killed because they didn't have a gun with them, could they sue. I have been told that in most cases, no, you cannot. You assumes the risk of patronizing that business, or choosing to conduct business elsewhere. Besides, if you are killed, you probably won't be in a position to attend court. LOL Trying to approach this with a little humour.

11. Larry H. Miller's Megaplex Theaters-rps20130712_063356.jpg
    I'm not sure if anyone really read the fine print before this string began.
    Here is a recent picture of the signage on the front door of the Larry H. Miller Megaplex in Centerville UT.
    The UCA referred to at the bottom is for CCW carry.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast