Walgreen's Pharmacist fired for defending himself and coworkers - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Walgreen's Pharmacist fired for defending himself and coworkers

Did anyone read the responses to the article that was below the video? Walgreen's insures its employees against accidental death. That way, when the employees don't escalate and get killed, Walgreen's PROFITS $250,000 per employee killed. This means that it is not PROFITABLE to change the policy to allow employees to defend themselves.

How is that for a corporate policy that makes you want to vomit? Doesn't quite make you want to follow their policy for the "sake of customer safety" does it? They disarm every employee, even in hazardous neighborhoods, don't provide armed security, and then collect a quarter of a million on each employee terminated...nice.

Now we know what their "Reach Out to Disadvantaged Neighborhoods" was all about...PROFIT!
    Edmund Burke: “The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.” – 1784 speech. Taken from Founding Fathers Notes. "The unarmed man is not just defenseless -- he is also contemptible." Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
    Did anyone read the responses to the article that was below the video? Walgreen's insures its employees against accidental death. That way, when the employees don't escalate and get killed, Walgreen's PROFITS $250,000 per employee killed. This means that it is not PROFITABLE to change the policy to allow employees to defend themselves.

How is that for a corporate policy that makes you want to vomit? Doesn't quite make you want to follow their policy for the "sake of customer safety" does it? They disarm every employee, even in hazardous neighborhoods, don't provide armed security, and then collect a quarter of a million on each employee terminated...nice.

Now we know what their "Reach Out to Disadvantaged Neighborhoods" was all about...PROFIT!
    Since when is getting shot by a robber an accident?
    Charlie

So your rights to carry a gun should trump the property owner's rights? That seems to be what folks are saying here: that no establishment should have the right to tell you not to carry a gun there. This question comes up almost every time someone violates a corporate weapons policy and gets fired for it.

To be clear: the pharmacist was fired for violating Walgreens' corporate weapons policy, not for defending himself. There is a difference.

Would people be as quick to judge Walgreens if he had been fired for carrying a machete in to work?

Do you have the right to keep me from carrying a gun on your property? Why or why not?
    Bob Mueller
    Blog | Facebook | Flickr

I would bet you that over 85% of major business has the same policy!.

I know they do. It's probably closer to 95+%, especially if they have any sort of employee manual that was done by an attorney.
    Bob Mueller
    Blog | Facebook | Flickr

walgreens has a "no cowboy" policy. they guy violated that policy. adios cowboy.

Quote Originally Posted by cmhbob View Post
    So your rights to carry a gun should trump the property owner's rights? That seems to be what folks are saying here: that no establishment should have the right to tell you not to carry a gun there. This question comes up almost every time someone violates a corporate weapons policy and gets fired for it.

To be clear: the pharmacist was fired for violating Walgreens' corporate weapons policy, not for defending himself. There is a difference.

Would people be as quick to judge Walgreens if he had been fired for carrying a machete in to work?

Do you have the right to keep me from carrying a gun on your property? Why or why not?
    It's one thing to give a robber the money in the register and watch them walk out the door. It's another to disarm your employees, provide them no protection, then line corporate coffers with a quarter million dollars per employee killed when the eventuality occurs. Yes, Walgreen's has the right as the owner to require its employees to not be armed. But if they do, they then have a MORAL obligation to protect them, and NO, police do not count. Police are not private security for one corporation - they serve the public in general.

It's like Walgreen's created the shooting gallery for the BG's and they get to keep the prize.
    Edmund Burke: “The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.” – 1784 speech. Taken from Founding Fathers Notes. "The unarmed man is not just defenseless -- he is also contemptible." Machiavelli

Do you have the right to tell me not to carry a gun on your property?

If so, are you then taking responsibility for my protection? And remember, the police don't count.

It seems to me that there are a lot of people here who apply a double standard when it comes to private property rights.
    Bob Mueller
    Blog | Facebook | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
    It's one thing to give a robber the money in the register and watch them walk out the door. It's another to disarm your employees, provide them no protection, then line corporate coffers with a quarter million dollars per employee killed when the eventuality occurs. Yes, Walgreen's has the right as the owner to require its employees to not be armed. But if they do, they then have a MORAL obligation to protect them, and NO, police do not count. Police are not private security for one corporation - they serve the public in general.
    Speaking of security, I was in a Five Below store the other day. They're basically an upscale dollar store. They were posted so I left my carry in my trunk but left my holster on. As soon as I entered, the SECURITY GUARD picked up on the holster bulge and proceeded to follow me around the store. I had some fun leading him up and down the aisles for awhile. My point is: I don't know how effective this unarmed guard would be for security in a dollar store, but he is better than the lack of security at a Walgreen's where they have drugs available.

That's good to hear that he was astute enough to pick up on the bulge and then responsible enough to keep an eye on you! If it was me, I probably would've talked to him about my CCW and shown him I was "dry" so he could concentrate on bad guys. :). But at least the store lived up to their responsibility to protect their customers when they disarm them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast