Question about boycotting... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about boycotting...

1. There are so many things to dislike so many businesses about, if I made a point of boycotting every business that did something I disagree with, I wouldn't be able to buy anything anywhere.

When it's an easy choice (I don't remember why any more, but 20-ish years ago I decided to boycott McDonalds. Easy to do. If I absolutely HAD to have fast food, there were plenty of other choices,) it's easy. But choosing to boycott "all businesses that do [x behavior]" when "x behavior" is fairly common will get difficult.

What happens when you're driving on a long trip, and come to that lone gas station in the middle of nowhere that says "pay inside only" while also "no firearms inside"? Either you're going to have to hope you can make it to the next gas station, or you're going to have to "sacrifice your morals".

Rather than actively boycott, I now choose to instead focus on making a point of visiting companies that do things I LIKE. Instead of frozen-shipped-ten-states mass fast food, I get my fast food from all-local-ingredients Burgerville. Instead of horribly-underpaid-employees Wal-Mart, I buy from small local stores whenever possible, even if I'm buying the exact same made-in-China product.

I must say, I have yet to break my boycott of Ferrari or Lamborghini, though. :-D

As for guns at sporting events, Portland's two local teams both claim "no weapons", however both venues are owned by the city, and Oregon's state preemption says that CHL holders are not bound by city and county laws regarding the regulation of carry in public places. Well, these sports venues are owned by the city, so obviously they're "public places", right?
    Last edited by DemocratGunOwner; 09-20-2011 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Added response to another post.

3. I look out for myself they can look out for themselves. Myj
    concern is my safety. No I would not work where could not carry unless it was law, not the employer, like, the university.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hurtley View Post
    There are so many things to dislike so many businesses about, if I made a point of boycotting every business that did something I disagree with, I wouldn't be able to buy anything anywhere.
    I DO boycott businesses who relocated customer service to another country.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

I'm with Ed. My upstanding morals mean I am hereby boycotting Prada, Manolo Blahnik, Gucci, Rolex, and the aforementioned Italian car manufacturers. I'll not patronize people who do business that way!

Quote Originally Posted by localgirl View Post
    I'm with Ed. My upstanding morals mean I am hereby boycotting Prada, Manolo Blahnik, Gucci, Rolex, and the aforementioned Italian car manufacturers. I'll not patronize people who do business that way!
    You mean I have to quit wearing my Rolex that keeps perfect time and looks fantastic? Dang $30 down the drain and in 20 years I have only had to change the battery twice. Guess I'll see if I can sell it to some liberal anti for $50.

I shop at Walmart and Home Depot. They do not have any notice on their doors over here in my area. I don't go to Starbucks because I did not like it when I was charged $12 for stupid cup of coffee once. Never step foot in that establishment since. I do not boycott stores that do not allow their employees to have guns as long as I am allowed. Anyway, they won't know because I carry concealed. I am with BC1 -- I too will boycott stores that relocate their customer service to another country.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

As for me, CDR, I carry concealed and have not had anyone say anything, so I must be doing it properly. My personal opinion about businesses who disallow firearms is that it is for liability reasons, not political reasons. Which is why, I think, that most businesses do not allow employees to carry. I was a Security Manager for many years and our international company would NOT allow officers to carry unless, of course, they were in an armed position.
    Here is S.West Michigan, I have yet to see a "no firearms" sign at any of the stores or restaurants mentioned in this forum. With the exception of the Department Of Veteran's Affairs hospital where I've had a couple of compensation and Pension physicals in the past month!
    The other thing that about boycotting that doesn't make sense to me is that, if one boycotts a business, that is, doesn't even go into the place, HOW does the business even know that they have been "boycotted?" As for the "boycotter," what does he (or she) accomplish other than missing a good deal or a meal? As far as Wal-Mart is concerned, I'm of the opinion that if every license holder in the U.S. boycotted them, they would probably not even notice. Just my thoughts.
    Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man gainst his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia...Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
    I shop at Walmart and Home Depot. They do not have any notice on their doors over here in my area. I don't go to Starbucks because I did not like it when I was charged $12 for stupid cup of coffee once. Never step foot in that establishment since. I do not boycott stores that do not allow their employees to have guns as long as I am allowed. Anyway, they won't know because I carry concealed. I am with BC1 -- I too will boycott stores that relocate their customer service to another country.
    Got hooked on Starbucks when I was working. For $12.00, I can buy 16oz of gound and brew my own! Which I do! My one remaining bad habit.
    Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man gainst his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia...Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

If the company posts a sign on the door I will do my best NOT to shop there. If it happens to be the only place I can go, I will go there. However, given an option, I will shop elsewhere when I can.

My company doesn't allow weapons on the property. And if they find out, you are gone. They made it perfectly clear. (It's an insurance company.) That said, the only time a weapon problem comes up in the underwriting division is when the inspection company finds one unprotected. Unprotected means: Left unattended, out of a safe or in public view. In short, concealed means concealed. We have no problem with licensed carry. We insure a number of used car dealers. What used car dealer doesn't have a weapon?

Psalm 82:3-5

11. I work for a state college, and the State has a no firearms policy. Even though I cast a pretty big shadow, and I've had more unarmed combat training than I want to think about, I STILL feel a little bit like a target when all I have to use are my wits and a steel thermos...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast