Home Depot Concealed Carry - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Depot Concealed Carry

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    FL statutes trump any such signs. It's only trespassing if you're asked to leave and you refuse.
    Could you point me to where it says this in the Florida statutes?

3. Key Word

the key is concealed carry. If you are licensed to carry concealed,
    CONCEAL IT PROPERLY and carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by walther380 View Post
    Could you point me to where it says this in the Florida statutes?
    There is no such statute in Fl.

However, in FL, something is LEGAL unless there is a statute making it ILLEGAL.
    ie. there is no law against wearing a red shirt on tuesday, so I can legally wear a red shirt on tuesday if I want to.

Accordingly, there is NO STATUTE giving a "no weapons" sign the power of law. So they can be ignored. However, if you are ASKED to leave, you must, whether you have a weapon or not.

This is because the TRESPASSING statutes state that if you are asked to leave, and you refuse, then you are trespassing. If you have no weapon, then you are simply trespassing. But if you HAVE a weapon, then you are trespassing with a weapon, which carries very stiff penalties.

I think that Home Depot and all other retail chain stores should allow OC or CC for not only the patrons but, employees of the store. As long as the state that the store resides in allows it. Individual stores can view this differently. I wish that the proper education was available to all business owners across this country. That way they can make a better, more informed decision about allowing OC or CC where applicable by state laws. When we owned a convenient/gas station we allowed anyone that entered to either OC or CC. The only stipulation was they could not use the firearm to intimidate other patrons. This stipulation is part of Washington's State Law on carry, so we just informed anyone that decided to carry in the store.

Yeah, but how do you find stores that don't prohibit OC? I know Starbucks is ok with OC, so is Walmart, and now I know about Home Depot. I know that's the point of this forum, but what the real problem is, is that there is little incentive for a business to openly embrace and advertise an OC policy. I guarantee that it would have been a completely different outcome if anyone had a firearm when the crazed gunman burst into the IHOP in Carson City a couple of weeks ago, but it's more likely that store, and probably the chain as well, will turn the safety and security of their patrons and employees over to a little sign on the door saying "No Guns Allowed". The complete opposite of actually could have mitigated the tragedy.

Where I live, Reno NV, we're an OC state. We're also a "Shall Issue" state, so in my mind, there should have been at least one armed, law abiding citizen sitting at a table inside that store. As much as those of us try to change attitudes about the good guys carrying, there is still a stigma of fear when the majority of society finds themselves in close proximity to someone carrying a gun.

I'm surprised none of the National Guard personnel were armed at the IHOP.

8. Quote Originally Posted by nevadaneal View Post
    I'm surprised none of the National Guard personnel were armed at the IHOP.
    If they were in uniform, it would have been against regulations for them to be armed with anything other than a firearm issued to them for official purposes.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

That's unfortunate, it could have gone down with less casualties if they were armed.

Well, I just went to the grocery store, Smith's, and I asked the manager what the store policy was about open carry. He called someone over him and the answer came back that only LEO's can carry openly carry there. He really didn't know though. He had a hard time with the difference between open carry and concealed. As far as concealed is concerned he said if the person is legal he doesn't have a problem with it. I suspect that I didn't talk to anyone that really knew what the policy actually is. They're owned by Kroger so I would imagine they have a policy outlined by corporate. Maybe I'll send them an email and ask.

11. Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaKat View Post
    Well, I just went to the grocery store, Smith's, and I asked the manager what the store policy was about open carry. He called someone over him and the answer came back that only LEO's can carry openly carry there. He really didn't know though. He had a hard time with the difference between open carry and concealed. As far as concealed is concerned he said if the person is legal he doesn't have a problem with it. I suspect that I didn't talk to anyone that really knew what the policy actually is. They're owned by Kroger so I would imagine they have a policy outlined by corporate. Maybe I'll send them an email and ask.
    I'm just curious where this need to "verify" their policy comes from? Why poke the dog? If the dog is sleeping, let him lie. If a business wants to ban firearm, let them post a sign. If you open carry, and they ask you to leave, so what? Just leave. If you conceal carry, who's going to care?

What asking for permission or policy does is raise an issue that probably would not otherwise have been thought, or really cared about. Now that you ask, you increase the chances that the company is going to post a sign, whereas before the unnoticed gun was simply unnoticed....

So what if a company isn't proactively pro-2A? If there isn't a gun buster sign, and nobody notices, then why make it an issue?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast