Home Depot Concealed Carry - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 70

Thread: Home Depot Concealed Carry

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Reno NV
    Posts
    174
    I didn't ask them for permission to OC. I asked them what their policy was. I have a CCW and I think OC is just asking for more trouble than its worth, so I don't do it.

    Sometimes, asking a store might raise their awareness to the point where they'll establish a policy allowing OC. Much of the stigma surrounding people carrying guns is due to lack of knowledge about local laws and common sense. At minimum, finding out what their policy is is respectful of the store owners rights.

    Personally, I wish everyone would openly carry. Nobody would give a second thought about seeing a gun and violent crime would drop to nearly zero.

  2.   
  3. Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaKat View Post
    Sometimes, asking a store might raise their awareness to the point where they'll establish a policy allowing OC. Much of the stigma surrounding people carrying guns is due to lack of knowledge about local laws and common sense. At minimum, finding out what their policy is is respectful of the store owners rights.
    So, may I ask if you inquired as to their policy regarding cell phones? Or children, such as how far away from parents they could be without offending them? Or how about wearing cologne? Part of the stigma surrounding people carrying guns comes from the fact that even gun owners treat guns as if guns are worthy of stigma and suspicion. Why is the gun that you wear, especially CONCEALED any different than the cell phone in your pocket? If your phone rang in the store, would you ask management if they minded if you answered it or ask them if they were offended by you carrying it in your pocket? Why is the gun any different?

    If the business wants people to abide by a policy banning firearms, then let them post that policy publicly. Why is the gun something different that must be asked about, or hidden away (for the reasons of not "offending" others.)
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Reno NV
    Posts
    174
    The way I see it, seeing someone walking around Home Depot with a gun on their side would at minimum cause me to do a threat assessment. Bad guys come in all shapes and sizes, but I probably wouldn't go on alert if he was clean cut and honest looking. If the person passes muster I probably wouldn't give it any more thought. But that's me. How the rest of the public treats it is another story. "OH MY GAWD, HE'S GOT A GUN!!!!!". Yawn.

    Like it or not, there is a large group of people in this country that think the very sight of a gun will make it jump up and shoot them right between the eyes. You think they're stupid, I think they're stupid, but they won't change they're mind no matter what.

    Unless you drop one from the fiftieth floor or can pitch one at 100+ mph, a cell phone isn't perceived as a threat to the general public. If they only knew that they're all going to die of brain cancer they might feel differently, but what can you do? However, there isn't anyone that doesn't know a gun has only one, potentially deadly purpose.

    Whether it's ignorance or fear or just a belief that the world would be a safer place if only the government had guns, there are people everywhere that don't feel comfortable around a gun. I do have to admit, I would be uncomfortable if the guy carrying the guns around had a bunch of gang or biker tats and looked like he's strung out on drugs. But then again, that's what a threat assessment is for.

    I look at it this way, I don't like it much when people force their beliefs on me. But I have to respect that they're entitled to their opinion. Consequently, as a tried and true atheist I get really ticked off when some atheist jerkoff insists that the high school football team can't say a prayer before a game because one kid in the school, (who probably isn't on the football team in the first place), doesn't believe in God. I think that's just wrong. I also think it's a tad uncalled for when when one of us decides they're going to singlehandedly going to march around with an exposed gun no matter what anyone thinks. I think there should be some middle ground. I live in an OC state, (NV), but in the 17 years I've been living here I have never once seen an OC in public. But I also know I have undoubtedly been in close proximity to hundreds of people that are concealed carrying.

  5. #44
    Glad to hear this!
    Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. ~Col. Jeff Cooper

  6. #45
    I would not ask at all. If they do not have a sign or something stating that they do not allow CCW or OC then I just go about my business. Since receiving my CCP I look out for these signs on any business that I am enetering and if I do not see anything stating that they are not gun friendly then I carry my weapon. Maryland does not allow open carry anywhere, so I am always concealed.

  7. #46

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    So, may I ask if you inquired as to their policy regarding cell phones? Or children, such as how far away from parents they could be without offending them?
    Personally, I'm MUCH more offended by cell phones ringing than I am by someone legally carrying.

  8. N45, I do and have always have. Positive feedback never hurts. We have a large indoor/outdoor market in our town (western NC) and the owner is always glad to see CCH permit holders. Makes her feel safer. She can tell you, "well, he has a Glock, that lady has a Ruger LCR 357 in her purse,........" Wal-mart, Home Depot, Ingles Grocery Store, and Lowes, but with Lowes, depends on which manager is on duty??. I never patronize the gun/red circle restaraunts. Those signs just tell an armed robber that no one there can defend themselves! One food place just has a Glock logo with a smiley face under it. Nuff said. Mikey

  9. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigzy1 View Post
    I would not ask at all. If they do not have a sign or something stating that they do not allow CCW or OC then I just go about my business. Since receiving my CCP I look out for these signs on any business that I am enetering and if I do not see anything stating that they are not gun friendly then I carry my weapon. Maryland does not allow open carry anywhere, so I am always concealed.
    How the HELL did you pull off getting a permit in MD???? Congrats!

  10. #49
    Wasn't easy. I was Attacked, had my eye almost gouged out by a guy(convict) that I had previously had a peace order against. Had peace order against his POS girlfriend also. 5 days after the peace order expired he came at me in front of my house. Lots of witnesses. We went to court and he payed me 10Gs to avoid prosecution but then he and his brother were stupid enough to make threats to me and my wife in front of more witnesses. Long story short I put together a very detailed application and after about 2 1/2 months I received a none restricted permit. It sucks that being seriously injured and threatened might be the best/only way to get a permit in MD.

  11. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigzy1 View Post
    Wasn't easy. I was Attacked, had my eye almost gouged out by a guy(convict) that I had previously had a peace order against. Had peace order against his POS girlfriend also. 5 days after the peace order expired he came at me in front of my house. Lots of witnesses. We went to court and he payed me 10Gs to avoid prosecution but then he and his brother were stupid enough to make threats to me and my wife in front of more witnesses. Long story short I put together a very detailed application and after about 2 1/2 months I received a none restricted permit. It sucks that being seriously injured and threatened might be the best/only way to get a permit in MD.

    That friggen sucks, at least you got it. Hopefully all these court rulings start to take effect and MD cuts the crap. Sucks how Bmore destroys freedom for the whole state.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast