TRADE: S&W Sigma 9mm Mags (SW9VE)

Thread: TRADE: S&W Sigma 9mm Mags (SW9VE)

TRADE: S&W Sigma 9mm Mags (SW9VE)

I've got 2 stock 17rd mags and need to trade them for 10rd cripple mags. I'm most likely moving back to MA next year so I figured I get on this. There in perfect condition.

Dude - you don't have to ditch your hi cap mags because of a move back to Massachusetts. You can own them; it's only illegal for gun shops and dealers to SELL them.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gain View Post
    Dude - you don't have to ditch your hi cap mags because of a move back to Massachusetts. You can own them; it's only illegal for gun shops and dealers to SELL them.
    There post-ban mags, the pre-ban ones only fit the "F" series (the crappy ones) sigmas. I MAY sell the gun before the move back since I already own an M&P but just incase.....

I think you're misunderstanding the "ban" - it applies to gun shop sales - not to individual ownership.

For example - I have a S&W M&P 45. Nowhere in Mass can I buy the 14-round mags despite having an unrestricted Class A license. So while I was down in Georgia - I bought 3 of them, and carry with them.

Now if I were to sell my M&P to a gun shop in Massachusetts, I could not include the hi-capacity magazines. BUT if I were to sell to an individual, I COULD include them.

Check with your attorney to be sure, but that's my understanding of Mass law, at least as it applies to Class A card holders.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gain View Post
    I think you're misunderstanding the "ban" - it applies to gun shop sales - not to individual ownership.

For example - I have a S&W M&P 45. Nowhere in Mass can I buy the 14-round mags despite having an unrestricted Class A license. So while I was down in Georgia - I bought 3 of them, and carry with them.

Now if I were to sell my M&P to a gun shop in Massachusetts, I could not include the hi-capacity magazines. BUT if I were to sell to an individual, I COULD include them.

Check with your attorney to be sure, but that's my understanding of Mass law, at least as it applies to Class A card holders.
    IANAL, BUT this I'm sure of, Unless your LE you can't have them. It's misleading because an LTC-A says large capacity on it, even worse If you look up the law it agrees. So common sense says you can posses large capacity mags..NOPE. However the Approved firearms roster works the way you described. It's complete BS because these are the reasons the gun laws are so screwed up in MA and people trying to follow them accidentally become felons. I've been trying to figure this out for a while without luck, maybe I'll give the ol' FRB a call and get their excuse.

Found the law: (with some help)

Chapter 140: Section 131M. Assault weapon or large capacity feeding device not lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994; sale, transfer or possession; punishment

Section 131M. No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Whoever not being licensed under the provisions of section 122 violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and for a second offense, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than five years nor more than 15 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

the downside is M&P's came out in '05 so there no pre-ban mags for them. Even if you don't carry them, possession alone is a jail-able felony.

Maybe I'm the one misunderstanding. I'm consulting my attorney.

Incidentally - for the benefit of others reading this - here is the contradictory section of the law:

Section 131. All licenses to carry firearms shall be designated Class A or Class B, and the issuance and possession of any such license shall be subject to the following conditions and restrictions:

(a) A Class A license shall entitle a holder thereof to purchase, rent, lease, borrow, possess and carry: (i) firearms, including large capacity firearms, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes, subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of firearms as the licensing authority deems proper; and (ii) rifles and shotguns, including large capacity weapons, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes; provided, however, that the licensing authority may impose such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of large capacity rifles and shotguns as it deems proper. A violation of a restriction imposed by the licensing authority under the provisions of this paragraph shall be cause for suspension or revocation and shall, unless otherwise provided, be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000; provided, however, that the provisions of section 10 of chapter 269 shall not apply to such violation.

Further research seems to indicate that I was mistaken. So - I went up to Kittery Trading Post this weekend and traded in my hi-cap mags. I took a $7 per magazine loss, but did pick up some gear that I couldn't find here in Massachusetts. Legal stuff this time!

My mode of carry had been one 14-round mag in the pistol plus two 14-round mags on the belt and one round in the pipe - 43 rounds total. So now I'll just have to buy 3 more 10-round magazines, increase my count to 50, and start working extra hard on draw/fire/reload drills at the range.

Time to start writing my reps to try to get the law changed, too. That, or move to a Free State.