WTB Looking to buy first gun! - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Looking to buy first gun!

1. Look into a Glock 19 (midsize 9mm) or a Glock 23 (midsize .40 S&W)... If your hands are bigger go for the Glock 17 or the Glock 22 (Full-sized 9mm and .40S&W, respectively)... If you look enough you might be able to get a nice used one for about $350-400, if even that. Good luck!

Go to a Gun Club or Range in your area. Talk to the people there. Most will be more then Glad to let you try out thier weapons after a basic teaching of the fundamentals. Take your time and someone will have a gun for sale that you like. Besides you will meet new and interesting people. Good Luck!
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

This the #1 thing you need to remember. Don't end up in a pickle buying a used gun. You probably don't really know the seller. How do you know if the gun is hot. You will have to have a FFL transfer most likely. Maybe spending a little more on a new gun from a reputible local FFL dealer will be the best bet, The gun will be new, it will have a warranty, and the dealer will usuably give you good free advise. Used guns are just that, used. You don't know how it has ben handled, how many rounds has been fire through it, possibly how old it is, and if parts are available. There are lots of less than honest un licsensed people selling guns out there. How do you know that the gun you buy hasn't been used in a crime? You don't!

Try to get a quality gun if at all possible. Save up for it and tell your wife that a quality gun will be more dependable. When defending your life you want something that will work well. Look at the Ruger SR9 and the S&W MP9, and the Beretta PX4, also the Ruger LCR .22 Magnum revolver.
    A .22 Mag will have less recoil, so will a .32 acp, look at the Bersa Thunder .380 which is a dependable and accurate gun for a moderate price.
    There is always the SCCY 9mm for under $300 which seem to be a decent gun also. Look at videos of these guns online.

6. Quote Originally Posted by SR9 View Post
    This the #1 thing you need to remember. Don't end up in a pickle buying a used gun. You probably don't really know the seller. How do you know if the gun is hot. You will have to have a FFL transfer most likely. Maybe spending a little more on a new gun from a reputible local FFL dealer will be the best bet, The gun will be new, it will have a warranty, and the dealer will usuably give you good free advise. Used guns are just that, used. You don't know how it has ben handled, how many rounds has been fire through it, possibly how old it is, and if parts are available. There are lots of less than honest un licsensed people selling guns out there. How do you know that the gun you buy hasn't been used in a crime? You don't!
    SR9 makes a valid point. If you are doing a back alley transaction, and buying a Colt Gold Cup for 200 bucks, and the seller isn't interested in transfer papers at your local FFL, buying that gun would be folly. Every legitimate dealer has a number of used firearms for sale. My favorite store warrants them, no questions asked, for 6 months (and actually, most firearms are warranted for life, anyway, unless you're buying a real POS). Will you pay a couple of bucks more than if you buy it from a shady character? Of course you will, but the gun has been on the dealer's books, and he knows if its stolen. Uh, actually, that statement came out pretty friggin stupid. If he knows its stolen, he's already turned it in to the authorities. I've gotten extraordinary deals on used firearms. Some were private sellers who had no problem going to the dealer and signing transfer papers, or in the case of long guns, signing off on a short bill of sale. (I live in PA. You may purchase a long gun from an individual without going through a 4473 and a background check.) SR9 is ultra careful, and I sure cannot fault him. IF you make certain who you are buying from, and your State allows transfers without background checks, make sure you prepare a short bill of sale. If the seller won't sign it, don't buy the gun, no matter how attractive his house, his car, and the gun appear. YOU can take the risk out of buying used guns, and if you don't know what to look for (wear patterns, broken parts, signs of abuse) find a friend who does. I bought a "asking price" 1400.00 revolver from a dealer because it was "broken". My gunsmith charged me 35 bucks to put it back in firing condition. Total cost to me---435.00! Admittedly, I'm familiar with the particular action on this revolver, and knew it was a small spring either broken, or as it turned out in this case, missing altogether. I sold that gun, a Colt King Cobra, for 900 bucks, and never put a shot through it. Wheel and deal, my friend, just be cautious. SR9 is correct. There really are unscrupulous folks out there, as well as BATFE sting operations. No sense going to jail because you "saved" a hundred bucks.

ezkl2230 Guest
    Others have said it, but a few more details would be incredibly helpful (prior shooting experience, desired use, price range).

At just around $400.00 there are the Ruger SR 9/9C and its cousin the SR40/40C . The C denotes the Compact model. In 9mm the compact comes with a 10 Round magazine and a 17 round magazine (with a base extender ).
    The 40C is 9 & 15 rounds of .40S&W
    Looking to buy first gun!-sr40c-12262013.jpg SR40C 9+1 (pinky extension is removable and has a flat plate if wanted)
    Looking to buy first gun!-sr40c-12262013c.jpg SR40C with 15 round magazine (Base extender gives full size grip)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234