WTB Looking to buy first gun!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy first gun!

1. Looking to buy first gun!

I am currently looking to buy my first gun. My wife is not gonna let me spend a lot of money, so I am looking for something reasonably priced. I also need something that is going to be quite reliable. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. Your question is a bit vague.
    Is this for licensed concealed carry? For home defense? Just for using at the range?
    Is there a caliber you are looking to stay with? If not, have you gone to a range to rent some guns to try out there perhaps in various calibers and sizes and types to see what you like?
    What do you consider reasonably priced? Under a grand? Under $600? Under $400? Less?
    Have you considered how you plan to carry this gun? Off body, inside waistband (IWB) or OWB, ankle, etc?
    What sort of build are you? Tall, short, big, skinny? That can play a factor in a few of the above questions
    No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.
    Robert A. Heinlein

4. If it's your first gun I'd say keep it simple. Get a nice used S&W .38/ .357 revolver and learn basic marksmanship and fire arms safety and go from there
    We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee, we don't take our trips on LSD. We don't burn our draft cards Down on Main Street. 'Cause we like livin' right and being free.

Looking to buy first gun!

I would find some gun ranges close to you go rent a few of there guns and try them out. Suggestions are nice but there's nothing like trying them for yourself. Good luck and welcome
    FUNNY HOW PEOPLE ALWAYS WANT THE TRUTH AS LONG AS IT'S WHAT THEY WANT TO HEAR

Looking to buy first gun!

Ok first off. Good input from everyone here so far, but, don't listen to any of it!!! Go to your local gun store, tell them what you are looking for (first gun) and how much you are looking to spend. Any reputable shop will check your hand size and have you pick up and hold about half a dozen guns or so to see what feels right to YOU!!! Don't take any advise on caliber or size from anyone, as they have no idea what is comfortable in YOUR HAND. Follow these directions and you won't go wrong or be disappointed in the end!!!! :)

Walking into a gun store and saying "sell me my first gun" is about as likely to get a good result as walking into a car dealer and asking him to pick out your car for you. What you get depends a LOT on the person you ask. That's why I suggested renting various guns and trying them yourself to determine what works best for you. A good shop, on a good day, with the right sales person will help you a lot, but only if you go in armed with as much information as you can get for yourself first so you enter the door as an informed consumer. Even then, things like handling recoil and choice in sights etc can only really be determined by shooting the guns yourself. There are some things that typically don't change, like smaller guns are lighter and will have more felt recoil, hotter loads and heavier rounds will also increase felt recoil, etc.. but a lot of it will boil down to your personal preference. I would recommend against blindly going into any store and asking someone to sell you a product you don't fully understand already through your own research like you're doing now. I've worked sales, and I know a lot of it boils down to the salesperson's preferences and commissions or spiffs on particular products that day.
    No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.
    Robert A. Heinlein

When I got my first gun that I planned to carry, I looked online at specs and reviews. Went to the store to put my hands on one and once I was happy with the feel, I bought it. I had never fired a 9mm until that gun, but the reputation of the gun (SW9VE) and the round spoke for themselves. I spent less than $500 on the gun and 1000 rounds of range ammo.
    I just got a new carry gun (Glock G29, 10mm), I really like shooting it. The holster is arriving TODAY and Im pretty excited to get home and get my hands on it.
    I think you should goto a range that has rentals and try out a couple different calibers and manufactures. Hands on is the best way to get familiar with them. Don't be afraid to ask a ton of questions.

Look at the SCCY 9mm they are decent guns for an affordable price. Also look at the Bersa Thunder .380 and the Bersa Thunder .22
    For a first gun you want dependable at an affordable price because a year from now you may want another gun. Always start with something
    affordable and easy to handle. Forget .40 and .45 for a first gun. A Ruger SR22 or SR9 is a good start. Also the S&W MP9, maybe look at
    .22 Mag revolvers also.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    Walking into a gun store and saying "sell me my first gun" is about as likely to get a good result as walking into a car dealer and asking him to pick out your car for you. What you get depends a LOT on the person you ask. That's why I suggested renting various guns and trying them yourself to determine what works best for you. A good shop, on a good day, with the right sales person will help you a lot, but only if you go in armed with as much information as you can get for yourself first so you enter the door as an informed consumer. Even then, things like handling recoil and choice in sights etc can only really be determined by shooting the guns yourself. There are some things that typically don't change, like smaller guns are lighter and will have more felt recoil, hotter loads and heavier rounds will also increase felt recoil, etc.. but a lot of it will boil down to your personal preference. I would recommend against blindly going into any store and asking someone to sell you a product you don't fully understand already through your own research like you're doing now. I've worked sales, and I know a lot of it boils down to the salesperson's preferences and commissions or spiffs on particular products that day.
    Better yet... I know instructors who will gladly take you to the gun shop and help you navigate. See if you can find one (take a class while you're at it!) who's willing to go shopping with you. That way you have someone on your side who doesn't care about commissions or price tags.
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

Guns are one area where you get what you pay for. There are your top tier brands. Several good brands, however even a good company can make a lemon every once and a while. A lot of marginal brands, that have great designs but their quality control is hit or miss. And the el-cheapo brands that make what we call Saturday Night Specials.

If you find one you like for under $300, ask why is it so inexpensive.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast