California AB144 Introduces to Ban Open Carry of Unloaded Handgun - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: California AB144 Introduces to Ban Open Carry of Unloaded Handgun

Even though I am an advocate of 2nd amendment rights, and even though I'm a CHL holder who carries concealed all of the time, I don't believe open carry of any kind (loaded or unloaded) should be legal. I feel it offers at least 2 different potential problems:
    1. It could possibly cause the open carrier to have a "take me on" attitude that could lead to an illegal shooting.
    2. Open carry in my opinion could also be just asking for trouble from the bad guy (viewed as sort of a dare or a threat.
    The benefits of concealed carry far outweigh those of open carry. With a CHL it's legal, the carrier has the element of surprise, less risk of harrassment by LEO, etc. I can still carry 1, 2, or even 3 weapons concealed and be well prepared for most scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by bootsdeal View Post
    Even though I am an advocate of 2nd amendment rights, and even though I'm a CHL holder who carries concealed all of the time, I don't believe open carry of any kind (loaded or unloaded) should be legal. I feel it offers at least 2 different potential problems:
    1. It could possibly cause the open carrier to have a "take me on" attitude that could lead to an illegal shooting.
    2. Open carry in my opinion could also be just asking for trouble from the bad guy (viewed as sort of a dare or a threat.
    The benefits of concealed carry far outweigh those of open carry. With a CHL it's legal, the carrier has the element of surprise, less risk of harrassment by LEO, etc. I can still carry 1, 2, or even 3 weapons concealed and be well prepared for most scenarios.
    Frankly that sounds like the arguments we hear from the anti-gun nuts. It " could possibly cause the open carrier", it "could also be just asking for trouble from the bad guy", heck, it could possibly drive the average citizen into a hissy fit and heart attack. Of course we have a pot load of states that allow open carry (and many have for decades) so you would think if any of the might possibly happen scenarios were valid, we'd have actual cases to serve as examples. We don't have any such thing.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

I wouldn't open carry even in areas and states where it is legal and allowed!!....I prefer to keep it concealed and use it as an element of surprise if necessary...Why to give some wacko an advantage??..He already has one because he knows what he wants to do and is ready for it!!

5. So now that we can't open carry, how do we get CA to a "shall issue" state?

6. N8 Pro,

That's really the goal, isn't it. I mean, it would be nice to see California get on the same page as other states in similar situations. I'm not sure what the exact process would be to put such an idea on a ballot here in the state but I would certainly be interested in getting involved.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123