California AB144 Introduces to Ban Open Carry of Unloaded Handgun
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: California AB144 Introduces to Ban Open Carry of Unloaded Handgun

Exclamation California AB144 Introduces to Ban Open Carry of Unloaded Handgun

California State Assembly member Democrat Anthony J. Portantino of Los Angeles introduced AB144, see full bill here, that would ban open carry of an unloaded firearm in California. There have been a lot of protests recently were open carry advocates get together and open carry unloaded firearms so this new bill would put an end to that. Be sure to contact your representatives and we'll have to watch this one closely.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

3. Ban on Unloaded Open Carry

I am sorry, but I believe that carrying an unloaded handgun out in the open is an invitation to death. Scenario: You are in a coffee shop like a good little doobie, with your Sig Saur unloaded in your holster, in plain sight. Some wild-eyed whack job has decided he is going to try to kill everyone in that coffee shop this morning. So this active shooter steps into the shop with two Glocks and a bag full of ammo and other guns. Who do you think the first person he shoots is? Right, the shnook with an empty gun in full sight. I spot the Glocks and quickly analyze the situation, go to the floor and draw my CONCEALED XD-45 and put two rounds into the gunman, saving the other patrons. It can't happen, you say? How many active shooters could be stopped by one citizen, armed and ready to defend himself and others. Active shooters usually kill or wound a bunch of people, then do themselves before the cops get there.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

in my opinion carrying an unloaded exposed gun is not a good idea. i think that it is an invitation to theft or worse. before you have time to load the bad guy could easily have disarmed you and would have a new gun to commit crimminal acts with. im not against open carry but unloaded open carry isnt my cup of tea. the peoples republic of kalifornia needs to change but i dont see that happening anytime soon because look at who the new governor is. it is the responsibility of all of us to educate ourselves on who or what we are voting for. remember the california legislature as well as all states and congress are elected by us and if enough people wake up things can change.

Wuzfuz, it's not about if carrying an unloaded firearm is a bad idea.

It's about a state taking away the last vestige of a constitutional right, you should be angry about this.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

the state has already taken away my rights by telling me that my gun has to be unloaded and carried openly under threat of jail. my post was not about the pros and cons of open carry but about UNLOADED open carry and that in addition to acting to defeat the proposed unjust law ab144 forbidding unloaded open carry the people should at the same time also tell their reprentatives they want to the right restored to have the gun loaded. why not? i believe the character rooster cogburn said "an unloaded gun is useless". do i think that kalifornia should take away unloaded open carry? of course not and i am mad that they want to take away even that. but by requiring the gun to be unloaded they have created the lousy situation law abiding gun owners find themselves in. it is ultimately up to us the people to contact our representives to let them know how we feel as lukem sugests. in my opinion this also includes removing them from office at the ballot box. but we have to make ourselves aware on how out represatives feel about the 2nd amendment. unfortunately many people in kalifornia and other places never check on the voting records of those who represent them. my thought was while trying to block ab144 the requirement of the gun being unloaded should be adressed and changed. i am grateful to lukem and the many others who constantly look out for unjust laws such as ab144 and inform others including myself. indeed it was one reason i joined this site. i am informed and i vote.

Quote Originally Posted by wuzfuz View Post
    I am sorry, but I believe that carrying an unloaded handgun out in the open is an invitation to death. Scenario: You are in a coffee shop like a good little doobie, with your Sig Saur unloaded in your holster, in plain sight. Some wild-eyed whack job has decided he is going to try to kill everyone in that coffee shop this morning. So this active shooter steps into the shop with two Glocks and a bag full of ammo and other guns. Who do you think the first person he shoots is? Right, the shnook with an empty gun in full sight. I spot the Glocks and quickly analyze the situation, go to the floor and draw my CONCEALED XD-45 and put two rounds into the gunman, saving the other patrons. It can't happen, you say? How many active shooters could be stopped by one citizen, armed and ready to defend himself and others. Active shooters usually kill or wound a bunch of people, then do themselves before the cops get there.
    I think you are the person they made the your better off without a gun cause it does you no good to have one it only makes you a target video. Problem with your scenario is the person is coming to kill not rob so everyone is a target not just the people with their guns out in the open. And since they all have there guns out in the open do you really think the person coming to kill them is going to say their guns are not loaded I have no reason to fear for my life.To me I am willing to bet that their guns being out in the open makes the person go else where to commit the crime.

Quote Originally Posted by santa View Post
    the state has already taken away my rights by telling me that my gun has to be unloaded and carried openly under threat of jail. my post was not about the pros and cons of open carry but about UNLOADED open carry and that in addition to acting to defeat the proposed unjust law ab144 forbidding unloaded open carry the people should at the same time also tell their reprentatives they want to the right restored to have the gun loaded. why not? i believe the character rooster cogburn said "an unloaded gun is useless". do i think that kalifornia should take away unloaded open carry? of course not and i am mad that they want to take away even that. but by requiring the gun to be unloaded they have created the lousy situation law abiding gun owners find themselves in. it is ultimately up to us the people to contact our representives to let them know how we feel as lukem sugests. in my opinion this also includes removing them from office at the ballot box. but we have to make ourselves aware on how out represatives feel about the 2nd amendment. unfortunately many people in kalifornia and other places never check on the voting records of those who represent them. my thought was while trying to block ab144 the requirement of the gun being unloaded should be adressed and changed. i am grateful to lukem and the many others who constantly look out for unjust laws such as ab144 and inform others including myself. indeed it was one reason i joined this site. i am informed and i vote.
    My fault santa, I did only read the first sentence you wrote and i just wrote off the response as a "me too" to wuzfuz's post.

Appropriate changes to my original post have been made.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

no problem unfettered might. we are on the same page. mabye someday if your in eastern wa look me up. meantime lets send some polititians to the unemployment line and make sure they cant carry any guns like they demand of us. thanks lukem for the heads up and i have spread the word with friends of mine in kalifornia about ab144. great site

As sad as it is... I hope that they pass AB144. Before you flame me, think about all the good that can come from it (BTW… I UOC, and am very comfortable doing so. I go to the range regularly and drill on loading as well).

Under Heller & McDonald, we got the 2nd Amendment recognized as an individual right that is not limited to the home. If the idiots here in Komifornia can pass this bill and the 3rd term Governor signs it into law, we can then go back to SCOUS because they are violating our 2nd Amendment rights. One very plausible net result is that California could be forced into “shall issue” and “good cause” would have to be defined (if it survives the Constitutional Challenge). My understanding is that as long as open carry is legal, we can’t get SCOUS to take up the CCW challenge.

Carrying an unloaded sidearm in public (carrying=in holster or belt on your body) is dumb. An unloaded side arm is basically useless against an armed idiot trying to kill you. One of the reasons I don't travel to CA or live there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast