New member seeking CCW strategy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member seeking CCW strategy

New member seeking CCW strategy

I have just joined USA Carry today. I live in the South Bay, and unfortunately, there is no CCW available here. Three years ago, I took a run at a CCW with the local Sheriff, put up a good fight, but got nowhere. I do believe that I have good cause, even though I shouldn't need that, but apparently no good cause is good enough here. I am thinking about establishing a nominal residence in a friendlier county, and making it my legal address. Does anyone have experience with this? Can anyone recommend another strategy?

I spend much of my life on the road, and carry concealed just about everywhere that I go outside of California. I carry an XD-40 4" in a Sidearmor IWB holster.

Hope to have some discussions with you guys.

Your best bet might be Allied Moving and Storage. From the posts I read it seems that area is very liberal and quite out of touch with the constitution.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

4. The central valley has become shall issue for the most part. I am not sure if there is a time frame for having to live in the county you'll be applying in. Have some feelers out on this for you. As soon as I hear something will post.

Move.

And no, I'm not joking.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

Stanislaus county is shall issue, but they do check to make sure you actually live in Stanislaus county.

You can apply the day you move into the county, but if you don't physically live here you will be charged with a felony

might just want to move to nevada or arizona, both close enough to go to cali.

just my pennys worth.

I used to live in the Peoples Republic of Stockton. I lived there from 1973-2003 and tried once to get information on getting a permit back in the 70s. The person in charge said and I quote "we(police) do not want Stockton to become an armed camp" and told me I would not qualify because self defense was not a good reason. I know the Bay-area is even worse as I looked up county by county the number of permits given out. Generally the more rural the county the better chance one has to get a permit. As I understand you must live in the county where you apply. I have a friend who had a permit in Calaveras County and informed me the county was almost 'shall issue'. There is(was) a map I saw about 3 years ago showing county by county how easy(difficult) it was getting a permit. Calaveras County was green on the map meaning it was gun friendly. I do not know how to find the website though but I think it was part of a California gun rights web site though. I grew sick and tired of the liberal propaganda about guns and admittedly it was one of the factors(not the only one) in my decision to move back to Washington state where getting a permit is easy. The county Sherrifs in California are elected so an election can change a county from 'no-issue to shall issue' with one election. Even if you find the website you should check with the county sheriff where you are thinking on moving to. Do not overlook the local police chief where you are thinking of moving to as that chief MIGHT be more gun friendly than the county sheriff. Of course you would have to live in the city limits for that. Many cities defer to the sheriff on the matter of gun permits. After moving to Washington I had my gun permit in 2 months. My favorite view of California became the one in the rear-view mirror in my car. Nuff said. Good luck, welcome, and keep us posted.

I lived in Stanislus County for almost two decades and I'm glad to see the old sheriff is finally gone! I finally got tired of waiting for him to leave office. Just the fact that you can get all of the forms, applications and other information for your CCW online here is evidence of the new way of thinking. It used to be that you had to go down to the office and try to beat it out of someone! Please keep us updated because I have a ton of people to notify if it works and I'd like to know what worked to get a "yes."
    Edmund Burke: “The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.” – 1784 speech. Taken from Founding Fathers Notes. "The unarmed man is not just defenseless -- he is also contemptible." Machiavelli

Following up on "New member seeking CCW strategy"

Thanks for your advice. I feel welcomed already.

In my case, Allied Moving and Storage is not an option. My wife is a faculty member at a local college, and a position in her field does not exist away from the major cities. We also have a disabled family member living independently in the local area, who cannot move, and who relies on my being nearby at least some of the time.

So here is the question. I spend about ten days per month traveling for work. If I split the other twenty days between my home in Los Gatos and a home somewhere up in the mountains, where I will establish my permanent legal residence and which will eventually be my retirement home, should anyone have a problem with that? Does anyone have experience with a similar situation? Thank you in advance for your responses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast