10 + magazines
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 + magazines

10 + magazines

HI all, I will be driving to Cal in a few days , I'm from New Mexico and I have a CCW. I will be going to the range with relatives and will be shooting mainly hand guns. I was wondering is it legal for me to bring and use 10+ magazines for my handguns? I know you can't sell them or loan them out.

Thank you

From what I understand, magazine capacity for PRCA is limited to 10 rounds. You should also check to see that your firearms are "California Legal". Certain models of firearms are not legal in PRCA.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    From what I understand, magazine capacity for PRCA is limited to 10 rounds. You should also check to see that your firearms are "California Legal". Certain models of firearms are not legal in PRCA.
    The CA AG approved list is for purchase. It's not a ban to possess.

Obviously there's their AWB and NFA ban as well. Don't bring your AR-15 or AK-47 variant into CA.

Do not bring 10+ capacity magazines into CA. If you plan on taking your handguns into CA, make sure they're revolvers or pick up some CA legal magazines just for your trips to CA. The OP's NW CCW is not valid in CA. CA only honors their own and even that's debatable in some CA jurisdictions.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Quote Originally Posted by Halfwatt View Post
    HI all, I will be driving to Cal in a few days , I'm from New Mexico and I have a CCW. I will be going to the range with relatives and will be shooting mainly hand guns. I was wondering is it legal for me to bring and use 10+ magazines for my handguns? I know you can't sell them or loan them out.

Thank you
    It is not legal for you to import your large capacity magazines into CA.
    Prior to entering into CA, you can dissassemble your large capacity magazines and never assemble them while in CA or assemble them in order to make a permanent 10 round magazine.
    Use 10 round or less magazines while in CA.

Make sure the firearms you will be bringing with you to CA are not considered assault weapons. If they are you can not bring them into CA, unless you modify them to be CA legal.

Your NM permit is not valid in CA, so do not carry conceal while in CA.

While in CA, transport your firearms unloaded and in a locked container.
    Ammunition can be in the same locked container holding the unloaded firearms.
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

6. Quote Originally Posted by Halfwatt View Post

Thank you
    Yes it is legal to bring 10 rounds magazine, not more than 10 rounds. Remember keep your firearm and separate magazine unload, lock your firearm in lock container, pad lock, and lock case into your back trunk.
    NRA Life Member

Read Quiet's post and follow his recommendations.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

8. Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    Read Quiet's post and follow his recommendations.
    Oh I see Quiet's posted.

I used to live in California for many years, lol.
    NRA Life Member

I emailed the Dept of Just prior to a 2 week trip to California regarding the 10+ mag. I just received a call yesterday, after I have returned from my visit, and told him that I left my 12 mags at home and purchased a couple of 10 mags for my visit. He told me I did the right thing, 10+ mags can not be imported into California.
    "My choices in life were
    either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician.. And to tell
    the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Vyrone View Post
    I emailed the Dept of Just prior to a 2 week trip to California regarding the 10+ mag. I just received a call yesterday, after I have returned from my visit, and told him that I left my 12 mags at home and purchased a couple of 10 mags for my visit. He told me I did the right thing, 10+ mags can not be imported into California.
    Correct. Unfortunately, local police are often less than well informed. I know a man here in NV who takes magazines with him to CA that hold more than 10 rounds and is certain he is legal. He called the police at his destination and was told he could bring them as long as he didn't sell or give them to a CA resident and they had to go home with him when he left. I hope he never has to test his information as I'm certain the officer, whose name he has, will suffer no repercussions for his misinformation; for a 'mere citizen' the full force of the law will certainly apply.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast