Appalachian Trail Conservancy does not like guns on the trail - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Appalachian Trail Conservancy does not like guns on the trail

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Who cares what the ATC thinks? It's not their call! Do what you feel comfortable with. Consider these facts. 1. You most likely won't use it and the weight will become a burden. 2. If you do need it, you will most likely be miles from any official help. 3. If you do need it, it will most likely be for protection from two legged predators, not four. Finally, have fun!
    Being a NC resident who hikes and camps a lot in western Carolina (to include those sections of the AT), I'd have to say you have a better than average chance of encountering not only bears, but also rabid fox, skunks, copperheads, etc ...

You have to also know that a lot of folks that fashion themselves to be outdoor types are also Sierra Club liberal types that have more agenda than sense, often very anti-gun, and some of those will try to push their political views. I had a very heated battle with one such type that made me glad I carry, as his views on being 'peaceful' were just plain coercive and the guy was just a full blown control freak.

I've also experienced a couple of cases where individuals I came across were just not right in the head (managed to get park rangers involved in one case, who added my info to a longer list of problems from the guy).

My advice: Carry, you're in the wild, literally!

I have read and heard of many stories of people gone missing or killed while trail hiking in the Appilachians. Bet they weren't carrying, but wish they were.

4. Quote Originally Posted by 45pocketpistol View Post

ATC strongly discourages hikers from carrying firearms: Most experienced A.T. hikers consider them impractical and unnecessary, and encountering an armed stranger makes many people uncomfortable.

Until they are needed of course..

Quote Originally Posted by 45pocketpistol View Post
    Just read this BS on their website...

ATC strongly discourages hikers from carrying firearms: Most experienced A.T. hikers consider them impractical and unnecessary, and encountering an armed stranger makes many people uncomfortable.

I am going to Smokey Mountain National Park next month for my honeymoon, and I plan to hike part of the trail. My Ohio CCW is honored in North Carolina, so why should I choose not to protect myself and my new wife from bear, wolf, poisonous snakes, and criminals? The whole point of CONCEALED is so people don't feel "uncomfortable".

What say you?
    the libertard fruits and nuts are only offering their opinion which means nothing legally, bring your gun carry it how you want as long as it is legal and that is that

The one question I faced was where my carry was legal, as my hiking does often cross state lands/parks, etc. Thankfully, we had a new law passed this past year that made carrying in such areas legal, by virtue of state law. I also run a kayak group, and routinely carry on the water, where not only keeping it available, but also free of salt water is a consideration. My solution is to keep my weapon in a day hatch, which is right behind me, along with my water (or water filter on fresh water) and snacks. Wildlife, either 2 or 4 legged (or non legged in the case of poisonous snakes), is always a concern to be ready for.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Who cares what the ATC thinks? It's not their call! Do what you feel comfortable with. Consider these facts. 1. You most likely won't use it and the weight will become a burden. 2. If you do need it, you will most likely be miles from any official help. 3. If you do need it, it will most likely be for protection from two legged predators, not four. Finally, have fun!
    Years ago I was on the trail weekly.
    I agree!
    NRA LIFE/ENDOWMENT MEMBER - 1975 Passed-NYS Conservation Firearms Safety Instructor.
    LIFE MEMBER- VIETNAM VETERANS OF AMERICA
    U.S. NAVY SEAWOLVES- VIETNAM 69/70

8. Ultralight hikers are known to hike with only a razor blade, rather than a knife, to save weight. Their philosophy is to take only what is needed. Gear is deemed unnecessary if it has not been used in an arbitrary (last three hikes, last three years, etc) time period. The protocol does not take into account wild animal attacks or human assault. Classic case of ignoring the Monte Carlo fallacy.

When I want to shed weight for a hike, I pack my 27 oz 2" .357 Magnum, and leave my 4" 47 oz Ruger .44 Magnum Redhawk at home... just sayin'....

I'll carry mine...If you have ever hiked this trail you know you will meet some very seedy people...You would not be the first to disappear on this trail!

I grew up in Franklin, NC right off the trail, and we had some strange folks come out of the woods and knock on our door...Some at midnight...Dad had a standing rule...If you knocked on our door after dark you were met by him and his four boys. Each with a weapon in our hands...My dad was full-blooded Lakota Sioux, and he did not have a lot of trust for strangers...

Do your own search, Here is a quick search I did..

http://www.people.com/people/archive...115243,00.html
    Folks ask why I carry two guns...Well if I did not I'd be off balance and walk in circles!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12