How do you carry when backpacking? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you carry when backpacking?

Two ways. First was a holster sewn (by me) onto the packs shoulder strap. This was open carry but by throwing a shirt over the shoulder and securing it so it would not fall off and expose the gun, it became concealed carry. The second is the pack (Jan Sport) also had a hip support and I attatched the holster to the belt or the metal sides. Firefighterchen is 100% correct about the speed of animals. I saw a video of a bobcat and a rattlesnake fight. The bobcat easily won. A mountain lion is capable of taking down large elk many times its size. A cat will go for your neck so IF your pack is high enough to protect your neck from the rear you MIGHT have a chance. In this situation seconds do not count, mili-seconds do. As far as a Grizzly bear goes, seeing my wife mad works, but failing that a 375 H H magnum works extreamely well.

Quote Originally Posted by santa View Post
    <snipped for brevity....> As far as a Grizzly bear goes, seeing my wife mad works, but failing that a 375 H H magnum works extreamely well.
    Is she really that bad --???
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    I don't know where you live or where you hike, so don't take this offensively, but that is not close to the worst case scenario out in the woods. Humans are fast...animals are faster. Worse case scenario is your dead before you know it...close second is the cat is biting your reactive arm by the time you can draw your firearm.
    Chen, I never take offense at a chance to learn! I should've been more clear, as I was referring to when I am in camp, at trail heads, or parts of the trail that are likely to encounter other hikers, rangers, and those that might take offense. as the human element thins, I carry a regular holster (OWB/IWB) to move the gun from cover as the animal element becomes more of a threat than that of a human taking offense.

I was only surprised by a ranger one time while open carrying deep in the woods and he asked if I had a carry permit for the gun. I replied that I was OC and it was on my belt in an OWB holster, but the Ranger pointed out that my shirt tail had partially covered the top of the holster. I pulled my Buck Knife, sliced off the shirt tail, offered it to the Ranger and said, "Will that solve our problem?" We both laughed, he told me to be safe and we went our separate ways.

I try to not get in arguments with people about whether I should have a gun in this beautiful forest or not, mainly because there is never enough time to make my point and I will just get frustrated without changing their mind at all, so I prefer to cover up close to people and then OC when the "whine factor" drops.
    Edmund Burke: “The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.” – 1784 speech. Taken from Founding Fathers Notes. "The unarmed man is not just defenseless -- he is also contemptible." Machiavelli

5. Quote Originally Posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
    I don't know if humor fits within the thread, but when I read these, I thought of a joke I saw recently ...

A big game hunter went on a safari with his wife and mother-in-law.

One morning, while still deep in the jungle, the hunter's wife awakened to find her mother gone.

She woke her husband, and they both set off in search of the old woman.

In a clearing not far from the camp, they came upon a chilling sight.

The mother-in-law was standing face to face with a ferocious lion.

"What are we going to do?" his horrified wife asked.

"Nothing," her husband replied, "The lion got himself into this mess, let him get himself out of it."

Quote Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
    Chen, I never take offense at a chance to learn! I should've been more clear, as I was referring to when I am in camp, at trail heads, or parts of the trail that are likely to encounter other hikers, rangers, and those that might take offense. as the human element thins, I carry a regular holster (OWB/IWB) to move the gun from cover as the animal element becomes more of a threat than that of a human taking offense.

I was only surprised by a ranger one time while open carrying deep in the woods and he asked if I had a carry permit for the gun. I replied that I was OC and it was on my belt in an OWB holster, but the Ranger pointed out that my shirt tail had partially covered the top of the holster. I pulled my Buck Knife, sliced off the shirt tail, offered it to the Ranger and said, "Will that solve our problem?" We both laughed, he told me to be safe and we went our separate ways.

I try to not get in arguments with people about whether I should have a gun in this beautiful forest or not, mainly because there is never enough time to make my point and I will just get frustrated without changing their mind at all, so I prefer to cover up close to people and then OC when the "whine factor" drops.
    Thanks for the clarification. :) The day you stop learning, is the day you start dying. I'm all about the whiners! I have a whole box of tissues for them!

In Eugene alone, there were two cougar attacks (one hiking, one on a mountain bike) on a hiking trail within a half mile of the trail head (within a mile of the city limits). I'm afraid trailheads, higher traffic, and camp sites are getting increasingly dangerous as we expand even further into the woods.

Thanks for the clarification. :) The day you stop learning, is the day you start dying. I'm all about the whiners! I have a whole box of tissues for them!

In Eugene alone, there were two cougar attacks (one hiking, one on a mountain bike) on a hiking trail within a half mile of the trail head (within a mile of the city limits). I'm afraid trailheads, higher traffic, and camp sites are getting increasingly dangerous as we expand even further into the woods.
    Wow, good to know! I might have to adjust my carry policy and just start dealing with the enviro-nazis. I guess I could always tell them I promise I won't use it to protect them should they be attacked...

Quote Originally Posted by TekGreg:230308

Wow, good to know! I might have to adjust my carry policy and just start dealing with the enviro-nazis. I guess I could always tell them I promise I won't use it to protect them should they be attacked...
    Lol priceless! Candid camera moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
    If I had to face several thugs in a dark alley, she would be my best friend. Seriously though she is a decent shot and the very first time I took her rifle shooting she within 45 minutes had shot more than 250 rounds through my 10-22. I then showed her how to hold and shoot my Ruger model 77 in 458 magnum. The first shot was a powered down 350 grain softpoint(my reload) and the shot was an 2 inches from bullseye. The second was a fullpower 500 grain solid good for elephant, rino, cape buffalo, or any mechanical device, and it was a bullseye! Remember almost 75 pounds of recoil. No brusing, and she wanted to fire more! Damn, she was a better shot with that cannon than me.

10. Oh Santa.....if Mrs. Claus reads your post, there will be no Christmas this year!!!

Great ideas and thoughts presented here. For concealed carry, I think my Ribz front pack RIBZ Front Pack - Backpacking Gear,*Survival Gear Equipment, Fishing and Hunting Vest, Backcountry Snowboarding, Hiking Pack! is still about the best concealed method for me so far, and for open carry, I will definitely give the thigh holster an honest workout, as it keeps the gun out of the way of all the straps and crap associated with and hanging from a backpack. For ease of carrying I much prefer open carry (especially when horseback)on my belt, but the backpack doesn't allow that. I wouldn't want this post to end up closing this great discussion, just putting up some more of my thoughts.

I have two methods.

Yesterday I OC'd in a Blackhawk! Serpa in Montana. I also have a Maxpedition Gearslinger with an integral holster for CC.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast