NFA Trust
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NFA Trust

1. NFA Trust

I am in the process of completing all the paperwork for an NFA Trust.

I would be interested to hear from others about the process, and any tips they might have for streamlining.
    "Always at your command"
    "לפקודה תמיד אנחנו"

I actually lucked out and have a friend that is a class three dealer so he helped me setup my trust. It was a year ago but it was fairly straight forward. Filled out my personal info, the trust name, and you'll needed one other person on the trust as kinda an officer/second in command type of thing. I just used one of the guys I knew that worked at my buddies shop. So myself and the other guy had to sign it then have it notarized. That was about all there was to it. Mailed it and the paper work for the suppresser the same day, the ATF actually had to wait a few extra weeks to finalize my tax stamp because the trust paper week to about a month and a half to process.

Hope that helped some. If you have any question let me know and I'll try to help you out.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

4. Thanks for the info. I also know somebody that is a Class lll manufacturer and dealer. However, a mutual friend of ours had an attorney who filed his own modify it for us.

I just have not gotten around to the finer points of who to pick, etc.

My first purchase will probably be a suppressor for the AR15 he built for me. If I had a better camera I would post pictures.

I then want to work on an SBR.
    "Always at your command"
    "לפקודה תמיד אנחנו"

Let me know how you like the AR with the suppresser. I originally going to buy a suppresser for mine but decided to go with the 22 instead. Are you planing on running subsonic loads through it?
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

6. Quote Originally Posted by KimberPB View Post
    Let me know how you like the AR with the suppresser. I originally going to buy a suppresser for mine but decided to go with the 22 instead. Are you planing on running subsonic loads through it?
    I will probably run some subsonic loads through when I range test it with the suppressor. The subsonic will definitely work better in tandem with the suppressor. Running the faster loads tends to defeat the purpose.
    "Always at your command"
    "לפקודה תמיד אנחנו"

Quote Originally Posted by Palmach View Post
    I will probably run some subsonic loads through when I range test it with the suppressor. The subsonic will definitely work better in tandem with the suppressor. Running the faster loads tends to defeat the purpose.
    Well, enjoy it and send me a PM and let me know how you like it on the AR. I've gone back and forth on if I would get one for mine. Would love to here some first hand experience.
    - Benjamin Franklin

What are subsonic loads? What is it about them (ballistics, weight, etc.) that sets them apart from typical rifle loads?

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    What are subsonic loads? What is it about them (ballistics, weight, etc.) that sets them apart from typical rifle loads?
    Subsonic loads are loads that travel, fps wise, under the speed of supersonic. Anything traveling over 1,129 fps will go supersonic and break the sound barrier. Must .223 round travels at least twice that speed. So even if you have a suppresser to quiet the sound of the round going off you will still hear the boom when the round goes supersonic. Itís a cool thing to hear but kind of defeats the purpose of a suppressed weapon. So the only thing different between normal rounds and subsonic rounds are that the subsonic rounds are loaded to travel under 1,129 fps.
    - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by KimberPB View Post
    Subsonic loads are loads that travel, fps wise, under the speed of supersonic. Anything traveling over 1,129 fps will go supersonic and break the sound barrier. Must .223 round travels at least twice that speed. So even if you have a suppresser to quiet the sound of the round going off you will still hear the boom when the round goes supersonic. Itís a cool thing to hear but kind of defeats the purpose of a suppressed weapon. So the only thing different between normal rounds and subsonic rounds are that the subsonic rounds are loaded to travel under 1,129 fps.
    Gotcha. Thanks for the info!

By the way, can your "trust" be disbanded as soon as you acquire the weapons? Will you still be required to submit to random background checks by the FBI for life? Does being part of a trust exempt you from many of the requirements that individual owners of class III and NFA weapons are subject to?

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Gotcha. Thanks for the info!

By the way, can your "trust" be disbanded as soon as you acquire the weapons? Will you still be required to submit to random background checks by the FBI for life? Does being part of a trust exempt you from many of the requirements that individual owners of class III and NFA weapons are subject to?
    As i understand it if the trust is disbanded the suppressor has to be transferred into another trust or person. This may cause you to pay the tax stamp again. Yes I still have to submit to the background checks when purchasing additional firearms. It doesn't really exempt you from anything just makes it quicker and easier to transfer to another trust if you happen to sell it in the future. I'm still fairly new at this so I don't know all the ins and outs yet.
    - Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast