Quick question... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick question...

1. Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    There's a loophole in CRS 18-12-213. Once you become a CO resident, you can legally carry on any State's CCW on the CBI's reciprocity page for 90 days. Residency per CRS being the State that issues your DL.
    Didn't catch that - thanks a ton!

3. I mis-read that prior to posting. NV isn't on the CO reciprocity list, so my permit is irrelevant once I move. I'm not too concerned, as I'll just be getting my CO permit as soon as possible. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lanearas View Post
    I mis-read that prior to posting. NV isn't on the CO reciprocity list, so my permit is irrelevant once I move. I'm not too concerned, as I'll just be getting my CO permit as soon as possible. Thanks!
    Yes but you can get a NH or PA before you move and carry on those in CO for 90 days once you get a CO DL. It's your choice. I'm a strong advocate for people having the license/permit combination that gives them the maximum yield of States. NV isn't that great of a permit to have recognition wise.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

5. <nods> I rarely travel though, so it's never been an issue for me. In addition, I usually open carry rather than conceal carry, therefore I'll just avoid Denver until I get squared away. Thanks again for the info!

Tom

In addition, I usually open carry rather than conceal carry, therefore I'll just avoid Denver until I get squared away.
    You got it. Open carry is generally legal everywhere in CO outside of Denver. Of course any merchant can prohibit OC or CC at will. The only way a local government can prohibit OC is

CRS 29-11.7-104
    A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.

7. I made the move to Englewood almost two weeks ago, and have been open carrying with no issues since my NV permit is useless here, and I need to be an official CO resident before I can apply for a conceal permit. That said, I have a new question for when I apply for the permit. One of the permit requirements is:

8. Demonstrates competence with a handgun by one of the following means:
    a. evidence of experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competitions or current military service
    b. certified firearms instructor
    c. honorable discharge from the Armed Forces within past three yearss
    d. proof of pistol qualification in Armed Forces within past ten years, if discharged
    e. retired law enforcement with pistol qualification within past ten years
    f. proof of completion of a handgun training class within the past ten years
    In reference to para. f, I have a copy with an original signature from the course instructor of the CCW class that I took in Nevada, which includes qualifying with my weapon. It would seem that this would be acceptable proof. Any reason that this might not be accepted?

Once again thanks for the help!!

Tom

I made the move to Englewood almost two weeks ago, and have been open carrying with no issues since my NV permit is useless here, and I need to be an official CO resident before I can apply for a conceal permit. That said, I have a new question for when I apply for the permit. One of the permit requirements is:

In reference to para. f, I have a copy with an original signature from the course instructor of the CCW class that I took in Nevada, which includes qualifying with my weapon. It would seem that this would be acceptable proof. Any reason that this might not be accepted?
    Ask the Sheriff's office you're applying through. They will be the one ultimately approving it.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Any reason that this might not be accepted?
    Can't think of any. My training cetificate was accepted by the Arapahoe County Sheriff. It was signed by an NRA-certified instructor who listed his ID number on the cert.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12