Quick question...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick question...

1. Quick question...

I'm likely moving to Colorado in the coming months, and I intend to get a CO CCW as soon as I get settled. One thing I haven't seen mentioned are any laws/regulations requiring handgun registration. Coming from Las Vegas, we are required to register all handguns, and I wnat to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

Thanks!!

3. Colo Gun Registration ... NOT

No such crazy rule in Colorado. In fact I thought such laws were illegal in the USA.

Thumbs up Register Individual Guns?

Holy smokes? If we had to register our individual guns, we'd run out of paper here in Colorado!

If you're here during the last weekend in March (27, 28, & 29), come to the Rocky Mountain Fifty Caliber & Machine Gun Shoot and celebrate your new found freedom.

The event is about an hour and a half from Denver and is probably the most darn fun you'll ever have with your clothes on. Take a look...!
    Last edited by Instructor_Dennis; 03-20-2009 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Change font
    Dennis Young

[email protected]
    www.theshootingschool.org

NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, and Personal Protection Instructor
    Law Enforcement Force-on-Force Instructor
    ASI Certified Baton Instructor
    ASI Certified Defense Spray Instructor
    Member - National Concealed Firearms Instructors Association

5. Thanks for the info! I'm making a "scouting" trip in early April, and our move is scheduled for late June. I'm glad to hear I don't need to put up with the registration nonsense. Here in Vegas, all handguns must be registered, and your permit specifies specific makes/models that you can carry (you have to qualify on each weapon & have it added to your permit). Colorado looks to be far less hassle!

Thanks again!

Tom

The Colorado permit allows you to carry a concealed handgun. You can carry a .22 or a .50.

It's up to you.
    Dennis Young

[email protected]
    www.theshootingschool.org

NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, and Personal Protection Instructor
    Law Enforcement Force-on-Force Instructor
    ASI Certified Baton Instructor
    ASI Certified Defense Spray Instructor
    Member - National Concealed Firearms Instructors Association

You have 90 days to get your CO CCW once you get your CO DL. Keep in mind that CO only honors non-resident CCWs during your 90 day grace period to get their CCW once you become a resident so if you have a one of several States on the CBI reciprocity list you should be good there for the 90 days.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

8. CO doesn't honor my Nevada permit, so I'll be taking care of that as soon as I settle in.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanearas View Post
    CO doesn't honor my Nevada permit, so I'll be taking care of that as soon as I settle in.
    There's a loophole in CRS 18-12-213. Once you become a CO resident, you can legally carry on any State's CCW on the CBI's reciprocity page for 90 days. Residency per CRS being the State that issues your DL.

The quickest option for you if you don't have any other State on the CBI reciprocity list would be to get NH or possibly PA with an issuance time frame of two to four weeks. This will give you a CCW option in CO until your CO CCW arrives once you are issued a CO DL.
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    There's a loophole in CRS 18-12-213. Once you become a CO resident, you can legally carry on any State's CCW on the CBI's reciprocity page for 90 days. Residency per CRS being the State that issues your DL.

The quickest option for you if you don't have any other State on the CBI reciprocity list would be to get NH or possibly PA with an issuance time frame of two to four weeks. This will give you a CCW option in CO until your CO CCW arrives.

Great research netentity!

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Great research netentity!
    I followed the CO bill in 2007 that removed non-resident reciprocity really closely. I did mention that in my e-mail exchange with the CO legislature in 2007. The only amendment the CO legislature made was the 90 day grace period for new CO residents. Whether it was my recommendation or not I don't know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast