New to CC and looking for advice - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to CC and looking for advice

Whether you choose to carry inside or outside the waistband, if you find the grip prints too much if you bend forward, there are some things you can do to minimize this. First, find a holster that has what is commonly called the 'FBI Cant", or about a 15 degree cant. This means the muzzle is angled toward your rear, and the grip is more forward than up and down. Second, position the holster so that the grip is in the natural hollow spot just behind your hip. Physically, try to get in the habit of squatting to get to things on the ground or low shelves rather than bending at the waist. I have been carrying for about 23 years, first as a cop, always concealed off duty, and now as a permit holder, even more conscious of concealment. I have carried guns as large as a Beretta 92FS, and as small as a S&W J frame or Walther PPK/s. Because I carried as a cop, I got in the habit of carrying two reloads for whatever I carried, and I have gotten in the habit of carrying a small Surefire flashlight in my pocket. Currently I am carrying a Glock G19, two magazines, and the flashlight. I use a Desantis Piecekeeper or CompTac Infidel IWB holster, and CompTac double magazine carrier. I always wear some sort of shirt between the gun and my skin, wifebeater in the hottest weather, and an untucked shirt, sweater, or sweatshirt over the gun, unless I'm wearing a suit or sportcoat. I am relatively sure no one has ever "made" my pistol, though its hard to say if no one confronts you. I have routinely asked family members "can you tell where my gun is?" anytime I change holsters, locations, or carry methods. Hope my lengthy answer helps a little.

Whats up dude? I also carry an XD40 with CT Laser grips.
    I will sometimes carry OWB and some times IWB...just depends on the day and what I got going on and what Im wearing.
    For the OWB my XD usually rides in a UBG Phaetos UBG Holsters
    For IWB I use a Milt Sparks Versa Max II Milt Sparks Holsters
    If I carry a BUG its usually my Ruger LCP...I dont always carry a BUG
    I always have an extra mag that rides on the weak side
    Always have a flashlight...right now using a little Fenix PD20 (I think that is the model)
    I always carry a tactical folder in my front right pocket...right now its the Benchmade 741 Onslaught
    So I dont scare the sheeple of the world...I carry a utility blade too...usually a Benchmade Mini Grip
    Gotta have my Victorinox Swisstool also
    Comtech Stinger rides in the pocket too....thats my good luck charm!!!
    Get a good belt too dude...Beltman or Crossbreed
    Good luck!
    Regards,
    Shanester
    "FIGHT CRIME...SHOOT BACK!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by HootmonSccy View Post
    ...but here was my solution..

I bought a left hand holster, I put it at 5 O'clock in my back,...

I've trained my self that when I go to pull, the back of my hand rolls toward my side
    Interesting! I haven't seen anybody do that recently. Fifty years ago, my father had a friend who was an FBI SA who carried his revolver that way. He always wore a suit, of course, and by reversing his hand he used his thumb to sweep his coat away from his body on the draw. No telling how much time he spent practicing, but he was F A S T!
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life) - GrassRoots GunRights SC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12